Picked up the RSD bridge for my JM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
El Pelo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Picked up the RSD bridge for my JM

Post by El Pelo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:57 pm

I probably over paid but I just had to have the elusive RSD bridge. Previous owner replaced it with a Mastery.

I really think this bridge is what it's cracked up to be. Unplugged it's very acoustic and lively.

I pulled out my radius gauges and it measures somewhere between 7.25 and 9.5...my guess is 8". Fender probably did this so they can add it to any offset no matter the radius.

I happy so far :) :?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Picked up the RSD bridge for my JM

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Looks great. I didn't like the shape at first glance, but it's grown on me.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Lamar Fandango
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lamar Fandango » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 pm

I saw that bridge on the Devo guitar in my FB feed. I commented asking, "What's that bridge?" The first reply? "It's a Staytrem and they're all the rage." BLOCKED.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Non-rocking, right? Can't tell if there's a gap between the bushings and posts.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm

This is THE bridge to have for a offset floating trem. It’s not even difficult to make, and Fender is being all tight with their shit on this.

Don’t they know they can sell at Mastery prices and make a few bucks? I’d take a rocking version with nylon bushings to help self-center.

OP, if you ever want to sell this, I’m down :?
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 pm

El Pelo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:57 pm
I pulled out my radius gauges and it measures somewhere between 7.25 and 9.5...my guess is 8". Fender probably did this so they can add it to any offset no matter the radius.

Wait... what do those screws in the center of the saddles do if not raise and lower the saddles? Are those not height adjustment screws?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 pm
Wait... what do those screws in the center of the saddles do if not raise and lower the saddles? Are those not height adjustment screws?
Intonation, I think; the saddles slide?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Danley wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 pm
Intonation, I think; the saddles slide?
I don't see how they could? I think those are height adjustment screws.

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 pm

I've always assumed that they were saddle height-adjustment screws on the RSD saddles.

It borrows the Mastery idea of 3 strings per saddle, which gives up individual intonation control in favour of roughly tripling the string downforce on each saddle, which must make them less likely to move on the bridge plate (which they are somewhat 'buried' in anyway). At the very least the increased downforce on the saddle screws should stop them sinking down over time.

In fact the RSD appears to give up intonation control all together (unlike Mastery).

I'm curious to know how the bridge height screws work. ie is there a post underneath, and the screw threads through to protrude from the bottom of that (like vintage-style), and so the screw head can can go up or down within that post (which would mean that screw head can go above and below the top plate) ? Or does that screw mate with a thread in the body bushing .. make it non-rocking ? But it looks like there is wiggle-room in the bushings / thimbles.

How much variation is there in the string groove width / string contact ?

It perhaps borrows most from something like a Tru-Arc SerpenTune ? / Compton ?
http://gretschpages.com/forum/elliot-ea ... 095/page4/
Last edited by timtam on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm

That close up of the the bridge makes me like it even more. I like the idea of fixed saddles. The less moving parts, the better.

Frankly, the only way I would like it more would be if the saddles were of fixed height of 7.25".

I just put a new bone saddle on my Gibson L-00 12 fret, and decided to check the intonation. It was perfect all up and down the neck. You really should not need adjustable saddles.

Granted, you say, but Larry! That's a 12 fret guitar! What about my guitar solos around the 24th fret, Larry? Do you even shred, bro?

At which point I'll say that you are playing past the 15th fret with probably light gauge strings, your finger strength is bending the strings far more than any effect perfect intonation would give you anyway. Calm down, Yngwie.

I'm convinced that the reason electric guitars have adjustable saddles at all is because Gibson and Fender were so sloppy back in the day about where they put their bridges on the guitar that they needed to have that. If they would have given a shit and taken the time, they could have gotten their guitars made perfectly just like how every acoustic instrument maker has always done.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:05 pm

It's the crappiest pic on the internet, but I think I see notches for intonation. Guess we'll need to wait for OP to chime in :)

I'm all for the thing if it works; and I like it better than the Mastery on the surface. I still think it's a bit funny how the 'improvements' people make to the bridge are giving it an evolutionary lineage that ends in a flattish chunk of granite; then again I never had problems with stock bridges.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Yeah, I don't know what to make out of that.

I can say that I have always been a fan of this bridge at least in theory, and I have no idea why this simply isn't the Fender offset bridge across the board now.

I mean, I know why. Fender has that same paralysis that all guitar makers have where if they deviate from the known then they fear complete failure and ridicule in the marketplace, so their fear in tandem with cheapness leads to a stultifying stasis in design. Not very inspiring, but there are signs of life from time to time, bursts of light across the darkness, and this bridge is one of them.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:15 pm

I absolutely love mine, I did not mess with The screws but I always assumed they were there to slide for intonation, not to adjust height. Then again I didn’t think to check it’s radius, but I will now as I’m curious.

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:04 am

kgbAttack wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:15 pm
I absolutely love mine, I did not mess with The screws but I always assumed they were there to slide for intonation, not to adjust height. Then again I didn’t think to check it’s radius, but I will now as I’m curious.
Slide in what direction?? In my square head it can only be up and down :wacko:
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:40 am

I'm not saying it can - I just thought it does :) I will try to loosen up one saddle and see which direction it moves :)