PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Super-Sonics?

Post by BarnyardCoral » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 pm

secretroutines wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 pm
I've never owned one, but I played a Supersonic 60 in a backline once and was really into it. I used the gain channel up at a healthy volume with an SD Booster in front and it sounded wonderful. Nice spongy rockin' sound that cleaned up great with the volume knob, and with the boost it went over the top quite pleasingly.

As with any amp, I'd say use your ears before you use anything else. Amps that are beloved may not be the sound you're after, and amps that people scoff at might be exactly what you are into. I can't imagine Jack White gravitated towards the Silvertones based on their reliability. Find the sound, and then figure out what you gotta do to keep it running. Just my 2 cents.
The reliability question is more because I've had amps I love die, and I'd like to avoid it again. It's not so much a “how do they sound” as a “are they a headache” question. I pretty much can get what I like from any amp that does a Fender-y clean or even a Vox clean, but I want that and a few other things. So it's more narrowing down amps that have the feature set I want and are reliable. I don't want another Egnater scenario where it goes from “this thing rules” to “this thing is dead” because it's just more hassle than I have time for to deal with QC flaws that can be vetted.
What exactly are you looking for in an amp?
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...
*Scheckenbacker on TGP

secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secretroutines » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:17 am

Deleted - Why did my response post twice? Because I'm terrible about hitting the wrong options.
Last edited by secretroutines on Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secretroutines » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:19 am

BarnyardCoral wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 pm
Fender-y cleans, onboard reverb (I could live without this, but I love a real spring reverb), gain channel (must be footswitchable), and a fx loop. Not too much power, around 20-40 watts, power scaling or a decent enough DI would be a huge plus. I want to be able to run my board into an amp and do what I do, I just would like an option for a more traditional drive sound that I can have set in my switcher.

BarnyardCoral
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BarnyardCoral » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 am

secretroutines wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:19 am
BarnyardCoral wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 pm
Fender-y cleans, onboard reverb (I could live without this, but I love a real spring reverb), gain channel (must be footswitchable), and a fx loop. Not too much power, around 20-40 watts, power scaling or a decent enough DI would be a huge plus. I want to be able to run my board into an amp and do what I do, I just would like an option for a more traditional drive sound that I can have set in my switcher.
I think there's quite a few Mesas that fit those parameters too. F-30s can be found for (dare I say it) cheap these days on Reverb and they're pretty highly regarded from what I can tell.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... od.945830/
And I will be the one to hold Larry Csonka down, kiss him so hard, I'll take Larry Csonka's breath away...
*Scheckenbacker on TGP

secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secretroutines » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:38 am

BarnyardCoral wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 am

I think there's quite a few Mesas that fit those parameters too. F-30s can be found for (dare I say it) cheap these days on Reverb and they're pretty highly regarded from what I can tell.

Hahaha I've actually been considering those exact Mesas! They seem like a solid choice, I've been searching for a good demo of the gain channel, but I would agree they are relatively cheap considering the price of most Mesas. I've also been looking at the Transatlantics too.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 am

secretroutines wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:38 am
BarnyardCoral wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 am

Hahaha I've actually been considering those exact Mesas! They seem like a solid choice, I've been searching for a good demo of the gain channel, but I would agree they are relatively cheap considering the price of most Mesas. I've also been looking at the Transatlantics too.
Also can speak solidly on the Mesa F-series and Mesas in general. I had an F50 that was great, and I have a Mini Recto right now and love it. YMMV and I only use the clean/pushed channel, but it sounds awesome.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secretroutines » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:26 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 am

Also can speak solidly on the Mesa F-series and Mesas in general. I had an F50 that was great, and I have a Mini Recto right now and love it. YMMV and I only use the clean/pushed channel, but it sounds awesome.
Awesome because since my original post Mesas have become more serious contenders. I still really love Super-Sonics, but I'm not dropping a grand on something that pops when you switch channels. What are your thoughts on the gain channel? Does it run too high gain or does it clean up enough for an application other than metal?

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:42 pm

secretroutines wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:26 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:15 am

Awesome because since my original post Mesas have become more serious contenders. I still really love Super-Sonics, but I'm not dropping a grand on something that pops when you switch channels. What are your thoughts on the gain channel? Does it run too high gain or does it clean up enough for an application other than metal?
I guess it depends on your definition of "high gain"? I got into Mesas because of Mick Jones from the Clash (circa-London Calling and beyond), and happily found that sound in both the F-50 and the Mini Recto. You can definitely crank the gain control on either (or in the case of the Recto, on either the Vintage or Extreme mode) and get all the like.. late 90s/early 2000s pop punk/metal sounds, but there's just as many good sounds earlier in the dial if you're willing to explore and mess with the EQ. Mesa's are known for taking a bit to dial in, but once you do it, it's worth it imo.

Also fwiw I don't use channel switching on the Recto because of a pop/delay on it (I also use my volume knob for cleans, so no real need), but from my understanding/memory the F-50 didn't really have this problem.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

infrared72
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by infrared72 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:41 pm

I had the super sonic 22 combo and really enjoyed it whether running straight in without pedals, or running the clean channel with my full pedal board. The Clean channel is quite nice with a fat mid boost. The drive channel was also quite nice with the cascading gain controls it could get really crunchy. 22 watts never seemed like a lot, but it was loud enough to cut with a bass player and loud drummer in a band situation. My ss 22 also put up with abuse from my baritone guitar as well, so any guitar amp that can deal with that gets points in my book. I loved the straight up sound of a fulltone ocd with a bit of delay in the background cranked through the ss22 along with my mesa 212 3/4 open back cabinet hooked up. It really nailed a late 70's classic Rush guitar tone that I miss now.

I didn't find the reverb or the amp to be noisy as some have experienced. There was a popping issue when channel switching that was a bit annoying. I worked around that by just using my pedal board with the clean channel. I sold the amp and a ton of other gear in preparation for a relocation last year. I may get another ss 22 in an amp head version.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am

We have Guest Guitar Players sit in with us. Live & Recording.. One uses a Super Sonic.. It always sounds like way too loud & way too much over Affected Sound going on... Plus he's the guy Guy with the biggest Pedal Board. His fiddling with everything on every song gets annoying & most often to the point of distracting from the overall Bands Sound..

It may be the Individual but often More isn't More. Less is More..

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:25 am

Larsongs wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am
We have Guest Guitar Players sit in with us. Live & Recording.. One uses a Super Sonic.. It always sounds like way too loud & way too much over Affected Sound going on... Plus he's the guy Guy with the biggest Pedal Board. His fiddling with everything on every song gets annoying & most often to the point of distracting from the overall Bands Sound..

It may be the Individual but often More isn't More. Less is More..
I reread my post & apologize to the OP & anyone who owns one of these Amps as I make it sound like the Amps fault. Which it isn't. Next time he joins us I'm going to ask if we can switch Amps for a few songs. I'd like to give his a test drive & be able to have hands on experience with it...

secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secretroutines » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:57 am

Larsongs wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:25 am

I reread my post & apologize to the OP & anyone who owns one of these Amps as I make it sound like the Amps fault. Which it isn't. Next time he joins us I'm going to ask if we can switch Amps for a few songs. I'd like to give his a test drive & be able to have hands on experience with it...
No worries! I totally got the gist of what you meant. In my experience, less is more really is the case. I've been trying to downsize my rig to a few drives and a good multi fx paired with a versatile amp. I've done the space station board and it really does distract from the overall sound a lot of the time.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:20 pm

secretroutines wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:51 am
Barnyard is right, I really like the fact they are a BFDR platform, an option to switch to a more Tweed-style tone stack, and an overdrive channel (I'm really in need of a “normal” driven sound) with a great reverb and FX loop. Honestly, it checks too many boxes to not seriously consider if you prefer Fender amps. I never ended up getting one because I'm not playing shows so dropping a grand on an amp isn't a priority. I've been taking my time to pick out THE amp I want to use.

As far as wattage goes, after doing sound for a venue and live tracking, I'm really apprehensive about too much power, because I eyerolled too much at folks who had waayyy too much for a club gig and the house sound suffers. I gigged on a modded DeVille 410 for years and never once needed that much power. I used an AC30 for awhile on and off and it was much more appropriate, but still a bit too much because a 212 generates A LOT of volume. So, I'm kinda looking for something in the 20-40 watt range going to a 112 or 210 cab which should work in about any situation I'm going to find myself in.
Not to derail the thread but when I last played live years ago I had a DeVille 410–I got it to keep up with a crazy powerful drummer— and it was absurdly loud for bar gigs and sold me on lower wattage amps.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:25 am

burpgun wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:20 pm
secretroutines wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:51 am
Barnyard is right, I really like the fact they are a BFDR platform, an option to switch to a more Tweed-style tone stack, and an overdrive channel (I'm really in need of a “normal” driven sound) with a great reverb and FX loop. Honestly, it checks too many boxes to not seriously consider if you prefer Fender amps. I never ended up getting one because I'm not playing shows so dropping a grand on an amp isn't a priority. I've been taking my time to pick out THE amp I want to use.

As far as wattage goes, after doing sound for a venue and live tracking, I'm really apprehensive about too much power, because I eyerolled too much at folks who had waayyy too much for a club gig and the house sound suffers. I gigged on a modded DeVille 410 for years and never once needed that much power. I used an AC30 for awhile on and off and it was much more appropriate, but still a bit too much because a 212 generates A LOT of volume. So, I'm kinda looking for something in the 20-40 watt range going to a 112 or 210 cab which should work in about any situation I'm going to find myself in.
Not to derail the thread but when I last played live years ago I had a DeVille 410–I got it to keep up with a crazy powerful drummer— and it was absurdly loud for bar gigs and sold me on lower wattage amps.
A friend offered me his for $300. It was like brand new, never been out if his Bedroom. I bought it. Same as you, too loud for bar gigs & I already had a Twin that I seldom played. I sold it to a friend for $300. He liked it. I bought a 65 DRRI. even it was loud! But I liked it so I kept it. Finally bought a 65 Princeton Reverb & that is just about perfect for everything.

bigswifty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bigswifty » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Not to backtrack to Mesa, but I actually sold my SS22 to get a Mark V over the summer (wanted some similar things - reverb, good cleans, good drive, small, scalable power options). I loved my 22, but I really, really love my Mark. Was worried it'd be too aggressive for what I play, but it's so versatile that I find myself wishing I'd grabbed one sooner. That said, they are pricey and Mesa does have some great options for quite a bit less (used especially).

Some pleasant surprises have been some really great cleans, including a "Tweed" switch that does pretty much what it sounds like, the Mark I setting on Channel 2 for good, meaty crunch, and dialed back gain tones on Channel 3 using the Mark II and Mark IV settings. Paired with a Jazzmaster and Strat, it's hard to have anything bad to say. Will say that Channel 3 does get too aggressive when I switch to humbuckers so I have to rely on a drive pedal that lives on my pedalboard for those occasions, which are rare. Reverb, graphic EQ, and FX loop are switchable for each channel as well.

The Fillmore is also a pretty great amp. Tried a CS Jag through one and it really shines. Classic sounding and felt really well built. Downside to almost every Mesa amp is the weight. They're all beasts.

As for the SS22, I gigged and recorded with it for a fair bit, and the only real problems I had were noisy pots (easily cleaned) and it did seem to burn through preamp tubes (though that could be the tubes I used and not the amp). The pop between channels when switching is noticeable though and I got annoyed enough by it that I stopped using the drive channel live (shame as it sounded nice), as infrared noted. My understanding is that a lot of reliability issues were resolved on later revisions (which mine was), but I could not even begin to confirm any of that.