Strymon Iridium

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Strymon Iridium

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:29 pm

The new Strymon in town. I have to admit, that it’s very appealing. I’ve often been told kemper is the new thing but couldn’t be bothered with the complexity. These things have 3 main flavors which can be tweaked. Fender, Vox, and Marshall..if they’re actually good it would be so convenient to have

Let’s discuss...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRVckCnBmKE

My biggest GAS right now is a new amp. This is giving me second thoughts...although as a traditionalist it’s hard to get away from having a tangible amp

With that said, if these are actually good I can see that having this could make your live sound more consistent. Not to mention the versatility.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Strymon Iridium

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm totally interested in this and if it doesn't sound noisy and buzzy then I'm totally sold.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:44 pm
I'm totally interested in this and if it doesn't sound noisy and buzzy then I'm totally sold.
That is one thing I noticed in the demos. Kind of thinking it had to do with the level of the pedal though. Similar to how you get increased noise when hitting a cranked OD pedal...or a dimed amp

But I’m like you, low noise is a good thing

Also, price would be a factor. If it’s more than their current pedals that size I’d probably assume grab an ac-15 and be done.

But, these are coming out for me at the right time as my wife and I just bought a bunch of Yamaha powered speakers for gigs. Decisions decisions

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:30 pm

I am sure it will be around $400 or so, which I think I read somewhere.

I like it, from what I'm hearing. If it's quiet I'm in and if it doesn't try and sound "authentic" by baking in tube amp noise then that will be it for me, I'll be getting my PayPal out.

I also see that it has some kind of MIDI out, which I like the thought of as well.

We'll see. I'm pretty excited, though.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:24 pm

here's the obligatory "in-depth with Pete" video. for a change he's not playing that awful Les Paul :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITSZ00-obLM
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 pm

This sounds really good. Strymon has always been pretty popular, and I have a feeling that this will be their next big hit.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:23 am

I look forward to picking up a used one, once they start hitting the market and the price drops. This seems like a great, quick way for me to record demos and not bother anyone with amps. I never love going straight-in to the interface and using DAW profiles. I mean, they're just reference demos for the other guys in my band - so who cares, but it'd be nice to not have the guitar sound make me cringe.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:30 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:29 pm
I’ve often been told kemper is the new thing but couldn’t be bothered with the complexity. These things have 3 main flavors which can be tweaked.
that's the main appeal to me of the strymon double-stomp format line. just do a small handful of things really, really well, rather than sloppily sing every song and dance every dance. that said, sometimes things can just be uninspiring for reasons i don't understand. like the catalinbread belle epoch and echorec both sounded really nice to me, but something about the clumsiness of trying to be hands-on with them annoyed me, whereas the RE20 and Boonar are just so much more fun to play.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 am

Universal's OX is going to be taking some hits.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 am

Another big factor for me is how they react to pedals. What little I’ve seen they say that the handle pedals similar to the amps.

But, if I throw a rat in front of it...will it respond like an AC15 does? Gosh that would be wild.

And what about using it with another amp? Say like a neutral JC-120. In a way, I’m thinking I have the perfect set-up to make something like this work. I almost wish it weren’t so.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:48 pm

I was less than blown away with the OP demo, the base amp tone seemed okay, not very dynamic and that’s the main problem with modeling tube amps, but the cabinet and speaker choices had me going WTF. I mean each amp model had a speaker that went with the chosen amp model, but then the other two were either redundant or out of left field. A Mesa Boogie cab with an AC-30, who does that, Foo Fighters or ?!? Seems like a waste of resources.

There’s a Vintage King demo that goes into more detail and the amp models do sound more dynamic and less “painted on.” The cabinet choices still seem superfluous to me, not what I would have done, but whatever.

At the end of the demo is where things actually get interesting. You don’t just get 2 presets, you can store another 300 in midi. 16 probably would be plenty, but anything more than 2 is great.

Then he mentions that you’re not stuck with the IRs that come stock on the Iridium. You can load your own! That finally had me interested! I wouldn’t have dropped $400 on what I thought this pedal did initially, but I would for being able to model my 3 favorite amps.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:21 am

It doesn't have an XLR, does it? For a DI box, that'd be dumb.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:52 am

No, it would be nice if there was a "pass through" jack so you could send the signal out clean as well.

I like that it has stereo outputs, that would be very helpful for recording (which is all I see this as), but it would be nice if there was also a thru port like you find on direct boxes.

You could still put a direct box somewhere in the chain, though, and then get that anyway. It's not the end of the world.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:38 pm

The more I think about practicality, the more intriguing this is becoming. Because my main draw to this thing is how well it emulates Vox cleans, I think it’s probably a good option for me. Half of the places I play are mic’d through house. This would eliminate having to even carry an amp half of the time.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:52 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:38 pm
The more I think about practicality, the more intriguing this is becoming. Because my main draw to this thing is how well it emulates Vox cleans, I think it’s probably a good option for me. Half of the places I play are mic’d through house. This would eliminate having to even carry an amp half of the time.
I don't know how well the Sansamp Liverpool does cleans but I like the Sansamp Blonde for Fender-ish stuff. The Iridium might be miles better, of course.