sE Electronics Voodoo VR mics- any experience?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: sE Electronics Voodoo VR mics- any experience?

Post by somanytoys » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Ah, but did you get a Voodoo microphone AND a cradle?!?

Otherwise you’re really coming full circle...

Funny that you liked the sound of that Voodoo so much, after trying out the Neuman and comparing them. You’ll have to let us know how they sound with less brittle guitar sounds.
And the Beyerdynamics...
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:15 pm

I'll try and do some recording with both of them this weekend.

This one is New In Box. Still got a pretty good deal on it, though.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Nice. Glad that worked out well for you, at a good price.

Let us know what you think after using them in a familiar environment, with other guitars.

Just out of curiosity, what bass would you be selling to get that Beyerdynamic, exactly? Haha
-David

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:13 pm

Well, I wouldn't sell the bass for a Beyerdynamic, I'd sell it to get most of the way to a Neumann TLM 103.

It's an upgraded Fender Player fretless that I have. Probably get me around $500 in time.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:17 am

Just playing devil’s advocate here - is that your only bass, where you’d be selling off your only (owned) bass capabilities for a mic?

You seem to do a good bit of recording, just curious if you’d kind of be crippling yourself doing that.

I won’t even look at the price of any of those. Anyway, me having one would be about like a 10 year old having a vintage LP or Strat. Maybe less dangerous, but not much more useful.
-David

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:50 am

No, it's my fourth bass. I have a G&L L-1000 that I've had forever, that's my favorite, but it does need some work.

I also have a G&L JB, which is their Jazz bass, and I have a G&L SB-1 which is a Precision type bass but with their MFD pickup instead of an Alnico. Honestly, if I get the L-1000 up and running then I might let the SB-1 go, since they are kind of overlapping and the L-1000 has one particular sound that I love out of it, called the "OMG" mode which is basically a bass boost, but a good one. It gives you a fat and rounded low bass throb that takes some of the string out of the equation. It's just wonderful.

In case you are noticing, I am a huge fan of G&L basses.

The Fender fretless is a Player series Jazz bass. It's very nice, also. Not too attached to it, though. If I feel like I need money that's the thing that will be on the block quickest.

But no, I'd never be without a bass, I consider myself a bassist as much as a guitarist.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Here you go here are some crude tracks recorded with these:

https://soundcloud.com/larry-mal/sets/m ... ne/s-1rTfb

So, the caveats: it's just me fucking around on guitar, and these recordings aren't really all that scientific. The ribbon mic one was not done in the Whisper Room treated area outside of my office, just out in the rest of the office. So, no sound treatment.

They didn't use the same strings, I had a set of John Pearse 80/20s on for the ribbon microphone, and they had been on for a couple months and had mellowed out a bright guitar (Gibson J-35).

With the Neumann, I had put on D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, which are bad strings to put on this guitar, they make it sound bright and harsh. And they are only a couple days old at this point, so while the Neumann is a bright mic, it's probably not as bright as it sounds in this, or maybe it is- who knows? This is the only time I've got to use it so far.

Honestly, I would probably put both mics on the guitar and get the best of both worlds more than anything.

Not sure what anyone would really get out of these tracks but I've been talking about it so here it is.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:36 pm

I haven’t played that many different G&L basses over the years, I think it’s usually just been their Stingrays in stores, because that’s what most stores had (I’m pretty sure).

The ones I have played are nice basses, and if I’d had the money at any of the times I’d played one, I probably would have walked out with one. I imagine there are nicer models than those, which yours probably are.

They play nicely, and sound good, but the main thing I noticed about them (the Stingrays at least) was how well suited they are for slapping & popping, it’s very natural on them. I don’t do that very much anymore, but it’s a lot easier on those than the basses that I have.

Just curious about that, but that makes a lot more sense now. I hope it works out for you, if that’s what you’d decide to do.

I’ll have to check out those clips...
-David

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Well, the Stingray is made by MusicMan, and those are excellent basses as well. I sold the one that I had, though, and I kind of miss it- it played like a dream.

But the electronics in it were a little noisy so I never found it to be a good recording bass.

A lot of people say the Stingray is a one trick pony, I don't know that it is, but it does seem like Leo Fender attempted to make more versatile basses when he was with G&L.

The G&L L-2000 is the classic, I guess, and that is an active bass, but it has two pickups instead of the usual Stingray one, plus both of those pickups are in different locations than the Stingray bass is- which is placed closer to the bridge than where a Precision bass pickup would be.

I suppose that the G&L L-1500 is the closest thing to a Stingray that G&L ever made- the pickup is in the same place (not Alnico, though) and it has active electronics and such:

https://reverb.com/item/136939-g-l-usa- ... urst-maple

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Yeah, that looks very similar to a Stingray.

Well, I've played G&L's I'm rather sure, and I knew that Leo owned both originally after Fender, so I likely just didn't pay much attention to the details and lumped them all together as the same basic thing.

I found that they played well and sounded good. They are fantastic for slapping, which may be what they mean about the one trick, but I found them to be great any way I played them.

And their value doesn't seem to drop much...
-David

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:22 pm
Here you go here are some crude tracks recorded with these:

https://soundcloud.com/larry-mal/sets/m ... ne/s-1rTfb
That ribbon has the characteristically dark sound I'd associate with most ribbons, even with dull strings. A high shelf EQ on there will bring it right out and usually sounds really pleasing on a ribbon once you dial it in!
Local milk person

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Yeah, it does sound pretty dark, doesn't it? I know that they make some big thing out of it having a frequency response from 20-20k, but I really don't think that's very accurate.

Which is good- because if it did just sound like a condenser then I'd have no use for it.

It sounds like a typical ribbon. That's why I bought another one.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:42 pm

That’s really cool. I listened, but haven’t on headphones yet. They sounded good to me, but there was a more brittle quality to the Neumann.

I may have to check into one of those one day, when I’m back on my feet.

Shirley I’ll get better at recording someday...
-David

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Listening to it again, that Neumann is just too close and in the wrong place on that guitar.

Oh well. The Whisper Room at work isn't really all that useful for acoustic guitar. Not all that sure why I bothered with it. We mainly use it for voice over stuff like it's supposed to be used for.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Skew.

Saw a commercial for a Lewitt Subzero.

Any opinion?
-David