Any love for Vox amps?

Make it loud here.
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any love for Vox amps?

Post by jakeisjake » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm

I spent some more time with it today. It is quieter than my other amps (like the Blue's Jr.)...

I have to have the volume and main volume at almost 3/4 to compare with the Blue's Jr. at 4-5.

In fact, none of the controls are very responsive. I'm not a big reverb guy...but, it has to be up 3/4 to 10 to have any reverb at all. The tone controls are similar... it sounds almost the same at 0 and at 10...no deep mudiness, no shrill highs.

But it has a classic Vox sound (that I love)...so that's a plus. It sounds best with the Dano 12 string.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:40 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm
I spent some more time with it today. It is quieter than my other amps (like the Blue's Jr.)...

I have to have the volume and main volume at almost 3/4 to compare with the Blue's Jr. at 4-5.

In fact, none of the controls are very responsive. I'm not a big reverb guy...but, it has to be up 3/4 to 10 to have any reverb at all. The tone controls are similar... it sounds almost the same at 0 and at 10...no deep mudiness, no shrill highs.

But it has a classic Vox sound (that I love)...so that's a plus. It sounds best with the Dano 12 string.
Does it have any Tubes? If not SS Wattage ratings don't sound anywhere near the same volume level as Tube Amps of the same Wattage rating..

If it doesn't have Tubes, one thing you can do is, buy a cheap Art Tube Pre Amp about $29.00. Put it in line between your Guitar & the Amp.. Essentially your Pre-Amping your Amp with 1 - 12AX7 Tube.. Makes a big Difference.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am

A speaker upgrade may help to some degree (I don’t like the VC speakers much at all), and that tube pedal may also help. But if you’re not really that happy with it, it may be better to just sell that one & upgrade a little to an all tube version, if you can.

The AC4TV I think is the cheapest, they’re typically between $200 - 250 used. I’d stick with the 10” combo, I haven’t read great things about the smaller versions.

I just sold one of my AC4TVs last week, they sound really nice(even with the VC speaker), and can get surprisingly loud for 4 watts. They guy I sold it to loved it, which I knew he would And those amps are definitely worth the speaker upgrades, I think.

I first bought 2 AC4TVs, and then bought an AC4C1. I still have a TV with a 10” Greenback, and I don’t plan on selling it (even tho things change sometimes).

There’s more control with the AC4C1, it has gain and volume, bass and treble, instead of one volume, one tone and an attenuator on the TV. But it might be a little more expensive.

Thats just a suggestion, you may end up being happy with the one you have. But if you get a chance to try a tube version, I think you’d like it.

Gearmandude has a YouTube video demo of the TV that I think is one of the better ones, if you’re interested.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:00 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am
A speaker upgrade may help to some degree (I don’t like the VC speakers much at all), and that tube pedal may also help. But if you’re not really that happy with it, it may be better to just sell that one & upgrade a little to an all tube version, if you can.

The AC4TV I think is the cheapest, they’re typically between $200 - 250 used. I’d stick with the 10” combo, I haven’t read great things about the smaller versions.

I just sold one of my AC4TVs last week, they sound really nice(even with the VC speaker), and can get surprisingly loud for 4 watts. They guy I sold it to loved it, which I knew he would And those amps are definitely worth the speaker upgrades, I think.

I first bought 2 AC4TVs, and then bought an AC4C1. I still have a TV with a 10” Greenback, and I don’t plan on selling it (even tho things change sometimes).

There’s more control with the AC4C1, it has gain and volume, bass and treble, instead of one volume, one tone and an attenuator on the TV. But it might be a little more expensive.

Thats just a suggestion, you may end up being happy with the one you have. But if you get a chance to try a tube version, I think you’d like it.

Gearmandude has a YouTube video demo of the TV that I think is one of the better ones, if you’re interested.
I was holding back but I agree. If it isn't what you hoped for the best thing is to sell it & upgrade to an all Tube Amp.. The AC4 & the AC10 are xlnt choices & are a deal.. Even new most Online Dealers will discount 10, 15 or even 20% making them excellent Buys! Good out of the Box! Plus, easily & inexpensive to upgrade to make them outstanding!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Those really are great, especially with the better speakers, and some used ones may already have an upgraded speaker, and possibly tubes. I personally prefer the Tung Sols, but everybody has their own opinion on those. The TV only requires 2 tubes, the C1 has 3 (2 12ax7’s).

An AC10 may come stock with a Greenback, I don’t know (my AC15 did), and those are nice speakers. I definitely prefer the alnico speakers in these, but the Greenbacks are really good.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:58 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:06 pm
Those really are great, especially with the better speakers, and some used ones may already have an upgraded speaker, and possibly tubes. I personally prefer the Tung Sols, but everybody has their own opinion on those. The TV only requires 2 tubes, the C1 has 3 (2 12ax7’s).

An AC10 may come stock with a Greenback, I don’t know (my AC15 did), and those are nice speakers. I definitely prefer the alnico speakers in these, but the Greenbacks are really good.
Sweetwater offered an exclusive AC10-C1 with Celestion Greenback. I bought as I didn't care for the stock VX10 Spkrs sound. It was great out of the box.

Later I watched a video where a guy upgraded Tubes & the Speaker. It sounded even better.. I already owned a Vox AC15-CC1X with Celestion Alnico Blue Speaker which is an amazing sounding Amp... But it's Loud for home practice & recording in my little Studio. That's my reasoning for the AC10..

So I upgrade the Tubes to JJ's & also tried Tung Sols. I like the latter better.. I decided to try the Weber DT10- P which is their version of a Celestion Alnico Blue in a 10" that fits this Amp.. Here's a bit about the Speaker...

This version of the DT10 is designed with the Vox AC10 amp in mind. That particular amp has a closed back and and very shallow space for the speaker to fit, so this speaker is the answer. It's basically a hybrid of the DT10 and the Blue Pup. Very jangly Vox-y tone with clarity and chime. 10", 20oz Ceramic magnet, 30 watt, 1.5" voice coil, ribbed cone. Bright, chimey, later/smooth breakup, aggressive, articulate.....

I had never done this before. It is a very easy Amp to change Tubes & Speaker. I really like having this smaller version Vox. Plus, the flexability to interchange between the Greenback & the Blue make super versatile.. It's like having 2 Amps! Great for home Practice, Recording, I even use it to travel & play Gigs....

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Yeah, I found that out when I went to put the Weber 10" Silver Bell in my AC4C1TV BC, I did have to take the magnet cover off. But I don't mind because I love the sound of that speaker. The 12" version sounds better, of course, but that thing really sings for a 10" speaker.

It's not that difficult to swap those out in the smaller combos, I've swapped them out quite a few times, but I'm pretty happy with the Weber in the AC4C1 and the Greenback in the AC4TV.

Putting the Blue in the AC15 was more of a bitch, though, removing more than I expected it to have to. But man, has it all been worth it...

Yeah, I find that as far as tubes, JJ's work, and so do Sovteks and Mesa Boogies, but from all that I've used & swapped out, I tend to like the Tung Sols personally. I would like to try a full set up Mullards one day to compare. The stock China and JJs are really loud and raspy to me, and since it's not that hard to drive these amps, I like the smoother sound from the TS's.

But that's only for Vox amps, I haven't really swapped many tubes out in my other amps.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:01 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:18 pm
Yeah, I found that out when I went to put the Weber 10" Silver Bell in my AC4C1TV BC, I did have to take the magnet cover off. But I don't mind because I love the sound of that speaker. The 12" version sounds better, of course, but that thing really sings for a 10" speaker.

It's not that difficult to swap those out in the smaller combos, I've swapped them out quite a few times, but I'm pretty happy with the Weber in the AC4C1 and the Greenback in the AC4TV

Putting the Blue in the AC15 was more of a bitch, though, removing more than I expected it to have to. But man, has it all been worth it...

Yeah, I find that as far as tubes, JJ's work, and so do Sovteks and Mesa Boogies, but from all that I've used & swapped out, I tend to like the Tung Sols personally. I would like to try a full set up Mullards one day to compare. The stock China and JJs are really loud and raspy to me, and since it's not that hard to drive these amps, I like the smoother sound from the TS's.

But that's only for Vox amps, I haven't really swapped many tubes out in my other amps.
+1 on the Tung Sol's for Vox AC10 & AC15... But would like to try Mullards & maybe some VOS too...

I haven't modded anything on my USA Fender 65 PRRI, 65 DRRI or my Twin... I like the Speakers in all of them. Even though they have the Groove Tubes they sound good.. I'm sure. Better Tubes would improve the sound. The 65 DRRI would be the first one I'd upgrade Tubes. Of the 3 Amps the upgrade would be the most beneficial as far as Sound... Not sure what Tubes though?

I think the newer Vox Amps being built in China & selling at lower Price points than similar USA Fender Amps might possibly cut some corners re; content. Like Tubes & Speakers... Although I don't know that for a fact...

All I know is these lower cost smaller Vox Amps sound way better with some inexpensive, easy Tube & Speaker upgrades...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am

I don’t really know about what tubes to use in the Fenders.

In the 2 Frenzels I bought, the deluxe came with EHX tubes, not really sure what’s in the newer retro deluxe, I haven’t looked. Years ago I replaced the power tubes (6L6s?) in the deluxe with Groove Tubes, and they sound good. Something else may sound better, especially in the preamp stage, but the GTs are doing fine.

With Fender, I would tend to think that the lower distortion tubes more like Tung Sol would work better, but I don’t know. I’m sure there are lots of other people here with a better idea of what to use, even if they’re all different opinions.

I think my C1s (AC4 & AC15) were made in China, they’re limited editions from 2014. But the AC4TVs (10” combo and 12” stacks) were made in Vietnam.

They definitely cut corners with the AC4TVs, down to the washers and screws. But they’re still really nice sounding little amps, right out of the box, and the tube & speaker upgrades do make a very appreciable difference.

I kind of hated selling the the other AC4TVs that I sold, but it just gets ridiculous at some point, having too many. Probably still is...
-David

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:19 am

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:48 pm

Sorry, I don’t know anything about Berkeley models, but I wouldn’t think that it would be bad, being from the era that it is.

And Webers are good speakers. Even if you decided to get something other than what’s in it, and sell the one(s) in it.

Looks like it’s at a store, is it close enough to drive to & check it out? Might be worth the time & gas, and if possible, you should bring one of your guitars to play through it.

My bet is yes, but you should wait for someone to post that knows about them.
-David

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:00 pm

it does look like a store...but, it's in a little town where there is no store. I'm interested in going to see where it is.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:21 pm

I don’t blame you. That could be a really great amp. And you’d know before you buy whether it is or not. Old school style (unless you go to a hideous Guitar Center, shudder).

See if they’ll hold it for you, and make arrangements to go. Could be a great steal for you.

I’d be interested to hear what you think of it, either way.

(Edit: I say steal, I have absolutely no idea what these amps are worth!! :D )
-David

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:17 pm

I talked to him on the phone.

Just an old guy who used to gig pretty big down in Boston...retired now and just does small, local gigs.

I guess they had dreams of being big back in the day and bought these to string together (his words).

but as we talked, it became unclear what he was selling and for how much...

I'll try to go next week.

As is usually the case up here...he's had lots of calls from down near Boston and up by Montreal...but no one wants to take the ride here.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:12 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:17 pm
I talked to him on the phone.

Just an old guy who used to gig pretty big down in Boston...retired now and just does small, local gigs.

I guess they had dreams of being big back in the day and bought these to string together (his words).

but as we talked, it became unclear what he was selling and for how much...

I'll try to go next week.

As is usually the case up here...he's had lots of calls from down near Boston and up by Montreal...but no one wants to take the ride here.
It was unclear in the pictures too. Where's the Head? Where's the Cab? Which Webers? What's the condition!? What's the Price? Is he negotiable? Without Pics & answers to these questions I'd pass & move on.... No shortage of Amps for sale....