Sanding contacts on jaguar/jazzmaster tremolo

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Sanding contacts on jaguar/jazzmaster tremolo

Post by RoséBear » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Would this screw up the action/tuning/anything with the trem if I were to round off these square parts slightly? I figured it would give the trem a smoother feel. Thoughts?

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Sanding contacts on jaguar/jazzmaster tremolo

Post by Danley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:18 pm

There’s a thread with info on how specifically to sand/file these - will need to find that, but ‘rounding’ will NOT work. You have to be acute on one side or the other. I forgot which. Warning: though this is basically the only way to fix some of the recent crap MIJ and Squier units short of pivot replacement, it is also REALLY easy to screw it up worse.

If your trem is solid tuningwise but you just want a diff. feel don’t do it. This is really only to be done on a trem that doesn’t stay in tune.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Danley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:18 pm
There’s a thread with info on how specifically to sand/file these - will need to find that, but ‘rounding’ will NOT work. You have to be acute on one side or the other. I forgot which. Warning: though this is basically the only way to fix some of the recent crap MIJ and Squier units short of pivot replacement, it is also REALLY easy to screw it up worse.

If your trem is solid tuningwise but you just want a diff. feel don’t do it. This is really only to be done on a trem that doesn’t stay in tune.
Interesting! Thanks for the info. Any clue as to where to buy more of those plates? I wanted to experiment some

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:44 pm

RoséBear wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 pm
Danley wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for the info. Any clue as to where to buy more of those plates? I wanted to experiment some
When I ruined one filing it various ways, I posted and asked please very nicely on this forum to get a replacement ;) Curious if anyone knows a place to buy separately but I do not (and they aren't all interchangeable between MIJ/Squier/AVRI etc.) I urge you to experiment, but they seem very particular about the pivots being sharp and true, otherwise the whole assembly goes out of whack (I've filed three or four)
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Danley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:44 pm
RoséBear wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 pm
Danley wrote:

When I ruined one filing it various ways, I posted and asked please very nicely on this forum to get a replacement ;) Curious if anyone knows a place to buy separately but I do not (and they aren't all interchangeable between MIJ/Squier/AVRI etc.) I urge you to experiment, but they seem very particular about the pivots being sharp and true, otherwise the whole assembly goes out of whack (I've filed three or four)
So I may or may not have tried filing it as I posted these. I’ll post a picture and you can tell me if you think I screwed it up. They’re not round per say, but they’re not as sharp. Am I already screwed haha?

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Honestly it's so sensitive I could never tell by looking - I just had to install and check which I suggest you do. Very minute differences changed the operation of the vibrato.

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Danley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:22 pm
Honestly it's so sensitive I could never tell by looking - I just had to install and check which I suggest you do. Very minute differences changed the operation of the vibrato.
Thanks Danley! So how’s the best way to tell? Just put the assembly back together and goof with it? Can you usually tell without having the strings on if it’s not gonna work,

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:59 pm

What the pivot is supposed to look like ...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 8#p1507248
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 pm

You'll only know by stringing it back up to pitch and trying to use it, but I'd bet 'softening' the edges will likely lead to less precise operation and stability.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

RoséBear
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RoséBear » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:31 pm

So I strung it up and started goofing around with it. Not having any problems at the current. Would it not stay in tune as well? It feels fine to me.

Best;