Fender Mustang Ben Gibbard signature?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
elektrovac
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Mustang Ben Gibbard signature?

Post by elektrovac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pm
Pretty cool.
Great to see a signature Mustang being made.
Didn't Japanese star Char have a sig mustang by Fender Japan?
There was a 'Beck' signature competition orange CIJ Mustang som years ago. Not for that Beck we know, but the Japanese Beck.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... 5bf1452111

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 am

I wish Fender would do a run of Mustangs and Jaguars that are 25.5" scale length.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 am

It’s alarming Fender Japan put so much more effort into those Beck reissues vs. their standard Mustang fare, which always seemed a lot more half-hearted to me and never really felt ‘real.’ Anyway, Cobain Mustangs count as sig. right?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:08 am

Danley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 am
It’s alarming Fender Japan put so much more effort into those Beck reissues vs. their standard Mustang fare, which always seemed a lot more half-hearted to me and never really felt ‘real.’ Anyway, Cobain Mustangs count as sig. right?
Crap, how did I forget the Cobain mustang? They're really good Stangs.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:08 am
Danley wrote:
I totally forgot about those, too! When I think Cobain I think Jag Sig. :fp:
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 pm

vistavision wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:46 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:08 am
Danley wrote:
I totally forgot about those, too! When I think Cobain I think Jag Sig. :fp:
I think he's the only artist to get a 3 completely different model sigs from Fender; all posthumous (except for the jagstang prototypes.)

vistavision
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vistavision » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 pm
I think he's the only artist to get a 3 completely different model sigs from Fender; all posthumous (except for the jagstang prototypes.)
I never thought of it that way. In the non-posthumous category Jim Root got a JM, Strat, and a Tele. Plus a Squier. What the fuck?
Edit: I had to look that up, btw.
I'm sure some Fender dealer in '64 looked at the new Duo-Sonic II and thought, "That's not a Duo-Sonic. That's a Mustang".

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:04 pm

vistavision wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:04 pm
I never thought of it that way. In the non-posthumous category Jim Root got a JM, Strat, and a Tele. Plus a Squier. What the fuck?
Edit: I had to look that up, btw.
John 5 has technically had 5 different signature models released from Squier up through the Custom Shop.

I had to look up the number of models but I definitely remember going "seriously? Another one?" every time a new one was released so...yeah. 5 John 5s and 4 Jim Roots.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ThatGuyOverThere
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThatGuyOverThere » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 pm

I’m loving how many indie/alternative guitarists are being celebrated with signature guitars these days. What are we up to now?

- Kurt Kobain Jaguar/Mustang/Jagstang
- Johnny Marr Jaguar
- J Mascis Jazzmaster
- Troy van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
- Ed O’Brien Stratocaster
- Albert Hammond Jr Stratocaster
- Britt Daniels Telecaster

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:28 am

Did the Sonic Youth Jazzmasters sell poorly? I love my Thurston Moore JM. Sort of surprised it wasn't the model for a bunch of stripped down JMs.

Instead we got JMs with strat tremolos.

For the first time in quite a while, Fender isn't making a Jazzmaster I covet. They had a pretty good run, though.

MuscleDad420
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MuscleDad420 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:26 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pm
Pretty cool.
Great to see a signature Mustang being made.
Didn't Japanese star Char have a sig mustang by Fender Japan?
Yeah, Char had a Fender Custom Shop Mustang model limited to 200 units maybe 4-5 years ago? Mustang came in a "Pinkloud" and greenish-blue finish that kinda reminded me of a yellow'd Maui Blue finish from the International Color Series of the late '70s. Both came with matching headstock finishes.

He also had a Custom Shop Strat that I'm pretty sure came in a gold metallic finish.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:28 am
Did the Sonic Youth Jazzmasters sell poorly? I love my Thurston Moore JM. Sort of surprised it wasn't the model for a bunch of stripped down JMs.

For the first time in quite a while, Fender isn't making a Jazzmaster I covet. They had a pretty good run, though.
I like the American Professional series and they're not even a bad deal - on the other hand the Sonic Youth models weren't really my cup of tea (also still glad SY got some credit.)

RE: the American Performer - In a weird way I'd rather have a Strat trem than a Tune-O-Matic/Vibrato; and yet I think my own American Special having a Tune-O-Matic and no vibrato is a few tiers above either. Not quite sure if I'm saying I like them or I don't, but my biggest 'issue' is I would grab a a Doheny first.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Danley wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm
tdbajus wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:28 am

I like the American Professional series and they're not even a bad deal - on the other hand the Sonic Youth models weren't really my cup of tea (also still glad SY got some credit.)

RE: the American Performer - In a weird way I'd rather have a Strat trem than a Tune-O-Matic/Vibrato; and yet I think my own American Special having a Tune-O-Matic and no vibrato is a few tiers above either. Not quite sure if I'm saying I like them or I don't, but my biggest 'issue' is I would grab a a Doheny first.
I'm not a fan of Thurston's model, but Lee's is gorgeous and sounds really good.
Also a big fan of the Doheny.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:33 am

The Thurston and Lee models are great guitars but are not for everybody. The stripped down electronics, the adjustomatic bridge on the Thurston, the PAF's disguised as WRHB's and Mustang bridge on the Lee, the satin finishes...definitely different. I had a Thurston and ultimately moved it on. My partner has a Lee (he outbid me for it by $5!) and I love playing it but the problem with it is the same problem I have with the Thurston. The slick finish on the body meant that it was hard for my to play it sitting down. It kept sliding around on my thigh.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:26 am

Danley wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm

re: American Professional- they are about as rare as hens teeth in NYC and Berkeley (The two places I have lived since they came out) but I did play a couple of the rosewood necked jazzmasters as well as a Fender jazzmaster that had a bigsby. I guess it's those weird V-Mod pickups in them, but I thought they all felt nice (especially the rosewood necked one, despite the weight) but was not too inspired by how they sounded. I didn't realize they had the V-Mod pickups in them, at the time.

I wonder how they would have sounded with a set of decent pickups in them...

I think it was weird that G&L released the Dohenys with their strat-esque trem, but they friggin' rule. I have the import version of it, and when I get a sec, I want to find someone who can install a sustainiac. Those MFD JM pickups- even the cheap ones- have a really cool, kinda trashy sound. I sound just like the Grifters, which is a good thing.
BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:45 pm
I'm not a fan of Thurston's model, but Lee's is gorgeous and sounds really good.
Also a big fan of the Doheny.
I didn't love the vintage frets on Lee's. My buddy has one, and I think the pickups are OK. I rather like the Thurston neck profile, but I wish it was a 9.5" radius. And had a WRHB in the bridge. :)

I have some Mojo goldfoil PUs in there, and play it without a pick most of the time. Really great sound.
redchapterjubilee wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:33 am
The Thurston and Lee models are great guitars but are not for everybody. The stripped down electronics, the adjustomatic bridge on the Thurston, the PAF's disguised as WRHB's and Mustang bridge on the Lee, the satin finishes...definitely different. I had a Thurston and ultimately moved it on. My partner has a Lee (he outbid me for it by $5!) and I love playing it but the problem with it is the same problem I have with the Thurston. The slick finish on the body meant that it was hard for my to play it sitting down. It kept sliding around on my thigh.
Yeah, I pulled out the adjustomatic and put in conventional thimbles. I do love that oil finish, though.

[edit] You know, I have been waiting to see either the Lee or Thurston models being put up for sale used, and it never seems to happen. Were they all bought up by collectors who are hoarding them?