Guitar Painting Question

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Guitar Painting Question

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:48 am

Hey guys. I just put the first coat of paint on a JM that I'm building and I have a problem. It's a metallic, acetone based lacquer from ScratchWizard. Technically it's a VW color called sage green metallic. Anyway, I dusted from 10 or 12 inches away like the instructions said - very light coats. Unfortunately I did have some issues with the can sputtering... but the main problem is that once I was finished, the paint looks "fuzzy." It basically has these raised fuzzy bumps all over it.

At first I thought it was dust, but it's covering like the entire guitar so I figure it must be some sort of defect. Anyone experience this before?

How do I fix it? Can I wetsand a metallic paint before the next coat? I had to order a second can (1 wasn't enough) so I have some time before it arrives to try to figure it out. Thanks for the help!

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Guitar Painting Question

Post by mgeek » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 am

Isn't a metallic *meant* to be kinda bumpy, the idea being the clear encapsulates it?

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 am

mgeek wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:00 am
Isn't a metallic *meant* to be kinda bumpy, the idea being the clear encapsulates it?
I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking. Haha. It does appear to me on closer inspection to be the metallic particles standing up. I guess it’s normal? The job is a bit uneven so I’m still gonna give it another coat I think.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:21 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 am
mgeek wrote:
I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking. Haha.
Weel, that's what you get if you ask a question- an answer that may or may not be useful ;)

you could always y'know...

https://www.google.com/search?q=metalli ... e&ie=UTF-8 :D

Literally the first result covers it, and confirms my half formed hunch. I'd have done that search before even buying the paint, but maybe that's just me ;)

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 am

mgeek wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:21 am
adamrobertt wrote:
mgeek wrote:
Weel, that's what you get if you ask a question- an answer that may or may not be useful ;)

Literally the first result covers it, and confirms my half formed hunch. I'd have done that search before even buying the paint, but maybe that's just me ;)
You don't think I Googled it? I didn't find any particularly helpful results so I thought I'd ask a community of peers who have direct experience with it. I've never sprayed a metallic finish before.

You don't have to be a fucking condescending asshole. Fuck off.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:12 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 am
mgeek wrote:
adamrobertt wrote:

You don't think I Googled it? I didn't find any particularly helpful results so I thought I'd ask a community of peers who have direct experience with it. I've never sprayed a metallic finish before.

As far as I'm concerned you brought it on by replying 'I don't know. That's why I'm asking' to my (actually correct) reply. My reply after that might have been a bit cheeky, but..ultimately it's just banter

I phrased it as a question because I didn't want to seem rude. That ^ seems rude to me.

Anyway, once you've wiped away your tears at what a bastard I've been to you, start reading a few of the results. It's all there :D Manchester Guitar Tech, Reranch 101 cover it better than I could

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:06 pm

mgeek wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:12 am
adamrobertt wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 am
mgeek wrote:

As far as I'm concerned you brought it on by replying 'I don't know. That's why I'm asking' to my (actually correct) reply. My reply after that might have been a bit cheeky, but..ultimately it's just banter

I phrased it as a question because I didn't want to seem rude. That ^ seems rude to me.

Anyway, once you've wiped away your tears at what a bastard I've been to you, start reading a few of the results. It's all there :D Manchester Guitar Tech, Reranch 101 cover it better than I could
So you think that merely asking a question opens me up to douchey ridicule? Also you answered my question with another question. Of course I didn’t know the answer. That’s why I was asking. I’m not sure why you think this warrants you being an absolute cunt.

Aside from the fact that you are probably just an absolute cunt.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Apology retracted, you don't deserve it. Your temper is as shit as your googling abilities.
Last edited by mgeek on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Sounds like you sprayed a little too dry.

It’s not fatal. Do another light coat, this time from a bit closer in.

It’s a “feel” thing. You were right to err on the side of “dusting it on” in the beginning. But what you’re seeing is that some of the atomized paint actually dried before landing on the guitar, which creates that texture.

It is possible that a slightly wetter first coat of clear will amalgamate it and smooth it out.

Do some practicing on a piece of scrap wood

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Sounds like you sprayed a little too dry.

It’s not fatal. Do another light coat, this time from a bit closer in.

It’s a “feel” thing. You were right to err on the side of “dusting it on” in the beginning. But what you’re seeing is that some of the atomized paint actually dried before landing on the guitar, which creates that texture.

It is possible that a slightly wetter first coat of clear will amalgamate it and smooth it out.

Do some practicing on a piece of scrap wood
Thanks. I think I'll do that - spray it on a little bit wetter and then when I'm getting toward the end dust it a bit. It's also a little stripey and I imagine this should help with that too.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:18 pm

In addition to that so far. By fuzzy, do you mean like bits of fluff? I ask because if it's not mixed properly (could be not shaken enough or simply a dud can) and it splutters you can end up with a fluffy dust that doesn't stick properly.

One thing I try to do is to spray a few coats of solid flat colour before adding metallic paint on top of it. That way you aren't worrying about getting good even colour coverage when putting a mist of metallic particles.

Lame Pseudonym
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lame Pseudonym » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 am

That happened to me when I was shooting clear. Turns out that the problem was that I was moving too fast and the atomized atoms weren't packed densely enough to merge. Maybe if you think you're swinging a little fast you might try slowing down a bit. Not too slow -- Metallics act funny when they're applied too thickly.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Having painted cars for years and guitars for the past 8 or 9, you are painting too dry. Paint should be WET when it hits the surface. People that say "dust it on" are not good painters. Lacquer will melt together. Lacquer dries very quickly so unless you REALLY over do it you won't get runs and if you do just sand them out and try again. It does take a little practice.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!