Eko-Galanti Continental -- Four Pickups!?

Bringing your older offset back to life.
agabinet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Eko-Galanti Continental -- Four Pickups!?

Post by agabinet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 am

New to OSG forum, I'm a still learning builder, I've made a couple of electrics, including an archtop, and I got the Galanti bug. I found a set of pickups with controls and broken pickguard on Reverb. Four pickups, six button switches with circuitboard, two pots. The pickguard says "continental" on it . . . I want to build an offset solidbody around these, just for the fun of it.

https://reverb.com/item/18464123-vintag ... model-rare

Looking for information on switch wiring and any other info -- haven't found a picture of an intact "continental" with four pickups.

Thanks in advance for any help

Ari

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Eko-Galanti Continental -- Four Pickups!?

Post by Fiddy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am

No help here, but... Oh yeah. Im watching this thread... 8)

Welcome.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:59 am

This will be cool, I'll be watching! For wiring advice you may want to check out the Fetish Guitars Facebook group. Nice bunch of knowledgable people.
Watching the corners turn corners

agabinet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agabinet » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 am

Thanks, I will check out the facebook page . . . when FB is working again! ;D I can probably sort the wiring. It's not THAT complicated.

agabinet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agabinet » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:33 am

https://link.shutterfly.com/ePOtUkVYlX

Some pics. The best thing was getting the pickguard duplicated -- done by Terrapin guitars in Oregon. Very nice lady!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:38 am

Very cool.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:31 am

Whoah, I'm getting deja vu. I remember someone posting about getting this exact wiring harness, including that cracked pickguard. I can't remember what project they were destined for but either they didn't end up using them, or two identical sets of pickups and pickguard have popped up in the last year.

In any case, they look amazing and I can't wait to see what you do with them.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

agabinet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agabinet » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:35 am

Right now I am planning to scrap the existing pickup circuit -- it is very complicated. I will probably rewire so that I can get an out of phase sound from wither the 2/4 combo or the 1/3 combo, and put a treble bleed circuit in at the pot level rather than all the crap that is in there now (it looks like a pair of resister/cap bleed circuits with both a parallel and a series resistor -- which I guess is supposed to keep the tone from thinning out too much below peak volume -- but I'm just guessing because I can't actually see the wiring under the circuit board yet . . . )

agabinet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agabinet » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:13 am

Update. Got a donor guitar, believe it or not a Galanti "Continental" four pickup model, all original wiring. Switch set is broken, pickguard original and intact, tobacco sunburst, missing bridge, trem arm and three tuning peg posts. solved the tuning peg posts via ebay, Van Ghents work perfectly. Today I stripped the finish off so it's now bare wood. Going to use my original set of switches with this new set of pickups.

Would like to find an original bridge and trem arm.

Unfortunately, the back cracked under the tremolo, and a piece chipped out so I will have to figure a work around.

https://arigabinet.imgur.com/all

agabinet
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agabinet » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:00 pm

this restoration turned out great. https://imgur.com/a/yXVIbL2

Had the hardest time sourcing and fitting an original bridge. Replaced the stock pots with Mojotone fintage taper 250Ks and a /47 pico tone cap. Had to patch the hole and then cover the whole back with a piece of rosewood. 12 coats of tru-oil over the natural wood is just gorgeous. The tone is ok, but as others may have observed, it would probably be better if I just bypassed the stock PCB. But what a fun project.