Recommed A Chorus Pedal For Me

Everyone needs a stompbox.
JSutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommed A Chorus Pedal For Me

Post by JSutter » Thu May 09, 2019 6:41 pm

I liked DOD, I had an fx65, fx64, and digitech multiplay. The pds 20/20 had a ton of cool sounds and does triple duty as chorus, flanger, and delay.

I also had arion sch-z, it was ok.

For EHX, I had a poly chorus, small clone, and neo clone. I never liked how they cut some high frequencies.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 am

I just recently sold a DOD FX22, the Vibrothang, it had a cool Leslie/doppler effect.

The PDS I had wasn't bad, the chorus or flanger side, it just wasn't for me. Hopefully the person I sold it to really likes it.

On the EHX, I liked the Deluxe Electric Mistress more than the Small Clone, but both did exactly what you said with the highs, and just seemed to suck too much of the overall tone out of my signal, it seemed pretty weak. Maybe that's kind of the point or just how it is, but I didn't really care for it.

I played the DC-2w for a while last night, and it's as great as I thought it would be, I'm really glad I bought it. Boss also says that the SDD-320 and DC-2 aren't truly chorus, so maybe that's why I like the Dimension effect more than I like chorus. I also want to compare those Dimension sounds to the Symphonic setting on my SPX 90, that should be fun.

I also looked at the info for the Keeley 30MS, and I realized that in mono mode the output is a blend of the effects and dry sginal, and in the pro tracker mode (using TRS-Y/splitter cables) you get one signal with straight effects (no longer blended), and then one dry signal, and I think you lose the reverb option, in favor of more control over the detuning for Dimension and delay. I assume there's a very good reason for doing it that way, especially for the doubling, and it might be really nice. I just think I'd prefer the choice of the effects with a blendable dry signal into stereo outs.

Who knows, I may try that mode out one day and realize that it's really cool, Keeley's a genius and I'm an idiot.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri May 10, 2019 9:03 am

I also want to compare those Dimension sounds to the Symphonic setting on my SPX 90.
The result is similar but the algorithms are different.

Symphonic is more a multi-Chorus effect. It’s a bit more hi-fi sounding to me and has more parameters to tweak, so you can get some nice tones, but the Dimension D presets, though limited, sound musical and more 3-D straight out of the box to me.

The stock Symphonic sounds thinner and metallic before you tweak it, better on vocals or synth than guitar when used sparingly. The Dimension-D just sounds just right on guitar and doesn’t overwhelm it. The Symphonic can be programmed to sound better though.

I have not tried it, but have heard that Symphonic is excellent on Bass. It does work well on keyboards.
Who knows, I may try that mode out one day and realize that it's really cool, Keeley's a genius and I'm an idiot.
The idea here can seem counterintuitive, but the apparent stereo field sounds wider when done this way. Just the way our ears work. There is a bunch of aural science that says why behind it.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri May 10, 2019 11:25 am

Yeah, I've only checked the Symphonic setting out once or twice, not sure if I tweaked it & saved it or not. Interesting idea to use it with bass.

I've programmed a MBV setting or 2 into it and used it a few times. I really need to break it out and use it more, I know it's got a lot of capabilities. I mainly bought them to have them, but I've gotten a lot of pedals over the past few years that will do nearly the same or similar things - originally the Digiverb, then the Loomer/Realizer, and now the Seraph and DC-2w, Polymoons and Ottobit Jr., etc. I also probably need to figure out exactly what I need to do to get the level right to use with guitar amps.

Yeah, I figured there are probably good reasons to do it, Keeley doesn't just throw stuff out there half-baked. My only real thing about it is that opening it up to flip the switches, and then using 2 TRS/Y cables to make it stereo is a lot of work, just to get a 2nd dry signal out of it. But I have figured out that's probably why he set it up to where if you only flip one of the switches, it will go into pro-tracker mode in mono, with the output fully wet instead of blended with the dry. Probably assuming that the signal will already be split, and the 2nd dry out isn't needed - but it can provide a dry out it if needed from the original signal.

Makes sense. I've learned to live with being an idiot. I do try to learn when I can, at least...haha

Thanks for the explanation and info, I appreciate it.
Last edited by somanytoys on Thu May 16, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

Velouria
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Velouria » Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 am

I recommend the MXR Analog Chorus... Despite the amount of knobs it is easy to use, has quite a range of chorus effects and has eq too :)

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 am

I had the Seraph and the DC-2w split into stereo, each feeding into a polymoon on each pedalboard, at the end of the chains. Sometimes it seemed that the Polymoons would overpower the Dimension pedals, and I felt like I kind of lost some or most of the mojo of the Dimension sounds, especially depending on which other pedals were turned on behind them.

So I thought about it some more, especially after this thread, and I figured that the original SDD-320 was a rackmount, just like the SPX-90, and was probably expensive for its time, so it was probably only originally used in the studio. I figured that usually those would be used outboard as post effects on the recorded track, probably on top of/after everything else.

So I swapped the order, putting the Dimension pedals in the chains after the Polymoons, and it seemed to make a great difference. A little of the Polymoons' effects are a little more in the background now, but the full Dimension mojo is definitely back. I guess I could look at running them in parallel, but I probably won't bother, unless someone suggests that it might be a really good thing to try.

But in truth, I'm not really sure how it was used in relation to other rackmount post effects, like reverb or delay, or whatever. I know there's not hard & fast rules, but it does make sense to me that considering the overall effect this does, it makes sense for it to be last. And it does seem to sound better that way, at least it did last night.

Anyone have an opinion or experience with that?
-David

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:11 am

Analogman is my fave. Also enjoyed the HK Rotosphere but its huge & heavy.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:13 am

Late to the game, but one of the best chorus pedals out there (and underappreciated I might add) is the Tortuga Effects Martini. https://www.tortugaeffects.com/Martini.html

I've had one on my board for like 5 years now.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:30 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:13 am
Late to the game, but one of the best chorus pedals out there (and underappreciated I might add) is the Tortuga Effects Martini. https://www.tortugaeffects.com/Martini.html
8) i want to buy one of those just for the graphics!
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:24 am

Wow, I was lusting after one of those years ago, and had actually forgotten about it. I'll need to check out those videos.

I haven't had much luck with finding a chorus that I bond with, and even for what I like (DC-2w & Seraph), I don't usually like it going too strong (deep) or too fast. I also tend to leave those 2 on most of the time, and I feel like it works that way because the effect is there. but it's subtle, just enough to make a difference but not call much attention to itself. I feel that can get out of hand quickly with some modulation effects, but I've also heard a lot of people use them heavily to great effect. I'm not an overly subtle type of person with effects, especially because for what some of them cost, I like to turn them up enough to dominate the sound. And to feel like I'm getting my money's worth...
-David

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 am

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:24 am
Wow, I was lusting after one of those years ago, and had actually forgotten about it. I'll need to check out those videos.

I haven't had much luck with finding a chorus that I bond with, and even for what I like (DC-2w & Seraph), I don't usually like it going too strong (deep) or too fast. I also tend to leave those 2 on most of the time, and I feel like it works that way because the effect is there. but it's subtle, just enough to make a difference but not call much attention to itself. I feel that can get out of hand quickly with some modulation effects, but I've also heard a lot of people use them heavily to great effect. I'm not an overly subtle type of person with effects, especially because for what some of them cost, I like to turn them up enough to dominate the sound. And to feel like I'm getting my money's worth...
I was the same way. I also have a CE-2 and it isn't a strong enough effect for me, too suble. The Martini is more like the CE-1 (the first ever Boss pedal) - really thick and lush and warbly. Also having 2 footswitchable speeds and the option for unmodulated vibrato is pretty sweet too.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am

That's pretty cool. There were a few pedals I was really wanting back then, now I can't remember what the others were, either.

The Fromel Seraph is somewhat simliar, in that it has options for the same preset settings and combinations of them as the DC-2w, switch for manual control of the speed & depth, and it will go into a leslie, flange or vibrato mode. I need to try those modes out more, they're probably the main reason it was $100 more than the DC-2w.
-David

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:28 pm

There are three big box polychorus pedals being offered on Reverb right now. Just saying. If someone has the opportunity, they should take it.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:34 pm

I just said, “screw it,” and bought a Waza Craft chorus on Reverb.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:34 pm
I just said, “screw it,” and bought a Waza Craft chorus on Reverb.
I'm pretty close to doing the same thing. I'm really curious about that CE-1 mode.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS