I saw IDLES last night.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I saw IDLES last night.

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 am

Goddamn they were amazing live, definitely one of the best bands to break through to the mainstream (ish) in the last couple of days. They had some choice things to say about recent Irish developments in governmental policy as you could imagine. Any other IDLES fans on here?
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I saw IDLES last night.

Post by parry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:46 am

Glad you enjoyed the show! 8)

I'm looking forward to catching them with A Place To Bury Strangers, in TO. If I'm honest, I have been on the fence about them - so looking forward to formulating an opinion based on personal experience. While I generally like what they're saying in interviews and such, it does smack of being a bit canned, modern day, box-checking, anti-this, anti-that speak. But punchy, so the lads feel as if they're punching up. On the flip-side, if it adds to the voice of the voiceless in a positive way, I'm all for it. From what I've seen of the live shows... it dangerously teeters on my edge of frat-boy... they could be singing about rape or anti-rape... bro-down, testosterone-overload mentality - so we'll see. Of course, that's no fault of the band. For right or wrong, I'm anticipating it being a bit like seeing METZ. Which... seems to be very similar (crowd-wise). In the words of Chris Murphy, from Sloan... "it's not the band I hate, it's their fans".

Or. Maybe I'm just showing my age :whistle:
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 am

parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:46 am

I'm looking forward to catching them with A Place To Bury Strangers, in TO. If I'm honest, I have been on the fence about them - so looking forward to formulating an opinion based on personal experience. While I generally like what they're saying in interviews and such, it does smack of being a bit canned, modern day, box-checking, anti-this, anti-that speak. But if it adds to the voice of the voiceless in a positive way, I'm all for it. From what I've seen of the live shows... it dangerously teeters on my edge of frat-boy... they could be singing about rape or anti-rape... bro-down, testosterone-overload mentality - so we'll see. That's no fault of the band. For right or wrong, I'm anticipating it being a bit like seeing METZ. Which... seems to be much the same (crowd-wise). In the words of Chris Murphy, from Sloan... "it's not the band I hate, it's their fans".

I've seen a few interviews too, given what's going on in England at the moment it comes across as pretty genuine.

I mean they're pretty definitely singing about anti-rape, also the ''frat boy'' thing isn't really a culture that we have in Ireland honestly so the crowd was very very chill and I would imagine politically open-minded to be seeing a band as outspoken as IDLES.

What we do have is a lot of lefty neo-punks but it's more towards the Arty Noise-Rock side of things than the skinhead Hersham Boys type thing, lot of Noise-rock and Post-punk bands coming out of Ireland in recent years. Fontaines D.C are blowing up at the moment, they're not my cup of tea honestly but you can see why Irish people who like them would gravitate towards IDLES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46-xvQjgp3Q. Also Girl Band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxe3NZKYL0 and Just Mustard (from my hometown no less, they're really nice people) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2121UMmk_M0

Anywho aside from my rant, hope you enjoy the show! :D

Kinx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kinx » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:03 am

yep, saw them on the Rock For People festival, luckily they were on just before our soundcheck, so I saw the whole set. They are great! Loved the interaction with the crowd and impromptu Nothing Compares To You cover :D
Check out my band, The Atavists ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-HZtrljMg

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 am
parry wrote:

I'm looking forward to catching them with A Place To Bury Strangers, in TO. If I'm honest, I have been on the fence about them - so looking forward to formulating an opinion based on personal experience. While I generally like what they're saying in interviews and such, it does smack of being a bit canned, modern day, box-checking, anti-this, anti-that speak. But if it adds to the voice of the voiceless in a positive way, I'm all for it. From what I've seen of the live shows... it dangerously teeters on my edge of frat-boy... they could be singing about rape or anti-rape... bro-down, testosterone-overload mentality - so we'll see. That's no fault of the band. For right or wrong, I'm anticipating it being a bit like seeing METZ. Which... seems to be much the same (crowd-wise). In the words of Chris Murphy, from Sloan... "it's not the band I hate, it's their fans".

I've seen a few interviews too, given what's going on in England at the moment it comes across as pretty genuine.

I mean they're pretty definitely singing about anti-rape, also the ''frat boy'' thing isn't really a culture that we have in Ireland honestly so the crowd was very very chill and I would imagine politically open-minded to be seeing a band as outspoken as IDLES.

What we do have is a lot of lefty neo-punks but it's more towards the Arty Noise-Rock side of things than the skinhead Hersham Boys type thing, lot of Noise-rock and Post-punk bands coming out of Ireland in recent years. Fontaines D.C are blowing up at the moment, they're not my cup of tea honestly but you can see why Irish people who like them would gravitate towards IDLES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46-xvQjgp3Q. Also Girl Band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxe3NZKYL0 and Just Mustard (from my hometown no less, they're really nice people) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2121UMmk_M0

Thank you!
I realized that my perspective is 100% Canadian, when I reread that. Thanks for taking note! I can see the crowds being VERY different. I look forward to checking out those links - as I said - I do like them... I guess I'm just old man suspicious of a lot of "new" things, hahaha

I won't kick them off my lawn just yet
:D

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:59 am

Idles are amazing
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 am

panoramic wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:59 am
Idles are amazing
GET OFF MY LAWN!

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:03 am

parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 am
panoramic wrote:
Idles are amazing
GET OFF MY LAWN!
for real though, i've heard their shows are transcendent
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:02 pm

panoramic wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:03 am
parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 am
panoramic wrote:
Idles are amazing
GET OFF MY LAWN!
for real though, i've heard their shows are transcendent
I can vouch for that.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:05 pm

parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 am
parry wrote:

Thank you!
I realized that my perspective is 100% Canadian, when I reread that. Thanks for taking note! I can see the crowds being VERY different. I look forward to checking out those links - as I said - I do like them... I guess I'm just old man suspicious of a lot of "new" things, hahaha

I won't kick them off my lawn just yet
Glad I could spare them from your devastating lawn-kicking agenda :D For reals though you're going to have a great time at that gig ;)

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:09 pm

I don't doubt it. I promise to update after the show.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:12 pm

parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:09 pm

I don't doubt it. I promise to update after the show.
Please do, although if you're in any way pit adverse I'd advise staying away from centre stage. My poor 50+ Dad got accidentally sucked into one, although he came out the other end saying it was oddly cathartic so maybe it was for the best :D