65 Deluxe Reverb reissue VS. custom Vibrolux Reissue

Make it loud here.
NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

65 Deluxe Reverb reissue VS. custom Vibrolux Reissue

Post by NateD81 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi guys,I have a DRRI that I play at home in my garage with no problem. I only get to about 3 when the fam is home and can push it from there if it’s just me which is totally fine. I play clean almost exclusively so I’m happy with those volume levels.

I’m interested in a Vibrolux Reissue (Custom 35w) — would I be happy with the volume level or is it going to be too loud? There’s no where local I can try.

Any other suggestions amp a wise? I’m interested in exploring my options! Need to be 1k- ish and prefer used to save $$

Thanks all!

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue VS. custom Vibrolux Reissue

Post by andy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 pm

I don’t think the vibrolux will be substantially louder. It will have more clean headroom though. I’m not much an expert, though!

The speakers in the new silverface vibroluxes are crappy celestions that break up early. I play clean as well and am looking to move from a PRRI to a DRRI for a bit more volume.
Send me western swing vids

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:20 pm

What specifically are you looking to accomplish? It sound like you're happy with the volume level and don't necessarily need more in that department.
If you're looking for more clean headroom how much cleaner does it need to sound?

I think mods to the current amp (different speaker, swapping preamp tubes, maybe swapping in a plug-in solid state rectifier) are going to be a better use of your money.

If I wanted super clean I'd probably get a Roland or a ZT Lunchbox, and likely the latter. Those little buggers can get pretty loud for their tiny size.

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:46 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:20 pm
What specifically are you looking to accomplish? It sound like you're happy with the volume level and don't necessarily need more in that department.
If you're looking for more clean headroom how much cleaner does it need to sound?

I think mods to the current amp (different speaker, swapping preamp tubes, maybe swapping in a plug-in solid state rectifier) are going to be a better use of your money.

If I wanted super clean I'd probably get a Roland or a ZT Lunchbox, and likely the latter. Those little buggers can get pretty loud for their tiny size.
I guess what I’m looking to accomplish is two things - 1. Just looking for a different tone. Not that I dislike the tone on the DRRI, it just feels slightly stuff because I think I’m not able to push it quite to its sweet spot. Who knows, I’d probably have the same problem with a Vibrolux.

2. With my DRRI I swapped the Weber 12f150 for a Weber DT12 which I feel was a nice improvement. That 12F150 was loud and a little bright. I put Genalex Gold Lion 6v6s in which smoothed it out further but it’s not as saggy as I hoped. Not sure if I’m chasing unicorns as this point.

How do you like your Princeton? That was the amp I was debating when I went for the DRRI. Honestly still have it as an option - do you think a Princeton might be a better option?

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:50 am

Hi. I've had both the DRRI and the Vibrolux reissue -- you name it, I've had it, if it's a Vibrolux. I so much want to like them because of their weight and the fact they've got two speakers that I have bought every iteration, it seems, over the course of the last 15 years or so.

What I would say, based on my experience, is that the DRRI sounds a bit sterile, whilst the Vibrolux has a softer response and sounds more and is not nearly as stiff. However, for my uses in a band the Vibrolux just did not handle pedals well, and the low end had a tendency to sound really flubby in a band context. In a bedroom setting it is still loud but you probably wouldn't have the low-end definition problems. I have tried all sorts of speakers in the Vibrolux with some improvement, but not enough to get it where I want it to be.

Of the two DRRIs I've owned, the silverface definitely sounded more organic than the '65 reissue, but not enough to make me want to keep it.

I hope this helps a little.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:43 am

Tafarel wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:50 am
Hi. I've had both the DRRI and the Vibrolux reissue -- you name it, I've had it, if it's a Vibrolux. I so much want to like them because of their weight and the fact they've got two speakers that I have bought every iteration, it seems, over the course of the last 15 years or so.

What I would say, based on my experience, is that the DRRI sounds a bit sterile, whilst the Vibrolux has a softer response and sounds more and is not nearly as stiff. However, for my uses in a band the Vibrolux just did not handle pedals well, and the low end had a tendency to sound really flubby in a band context. In a bedroom setting it is still loud but you probably wouldn't have the low-end definition problems. I have tried all sorts of speakers in the Vibrolux with some improvement, but not enough to get it where I want it to be.

Of the two DRRIs I've owned, the silverface definitely sounded more organic than the '65 reissue, but not enough to make me want to keep it.

I hope this helps a little.
Yes this helps a lot, actually. I have to sell my DRRI first - and while I like it - I guess I’m looking more for the sound you described the Vibrolux having and since I don’t play in a band and only jam with friends here and there, I don’t think the bass would be much of an issue.

Have you had / played any Princetons? I wondering if they can be stiff sounding. I really Lomé the idea of 2x10s but Princetons have been on my radar, too.

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:27 am

NateD81 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:46 am
How do you like your Princeton? That was the amp I was debating when I went for the DRRI. Honestly still have it as an option - do you think a Princeton might be a better option?

I like my PRRI a lot! For at-home, quieter playing I don’t think it can be beat. I’ve found that when I’m playing with my band it lacks the headroom I’m looking for (with my ES-335. With my telecaster I never had a headroom issue).

Because of this issue I recently the V1 preamp tube for a 12au7 (from a 12ax7). It sounds great and clean with the AU but it now lacks volume. I wanna get a hold of a 12AT7 and try that for a while.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Yes, I've had a PRRI, as well. It's not stiff at all, but as Andy noted it can get lost pretty easily in a band/jam situation. I actually liked my PRRI quite a lot, but I kept wishing it had a 12-inch speaker to push a bit more air. A friend of mine modded his with a baffle for 12-inch speaker from Mojo? (I believe), and it seems a lot more present in a band situation. I believe he also put a highly efficient speaker in his -- Celestion Gold. It still sounds American, tho 8)
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Tafarel wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:04 pm
Yes, I've had a PRRI, as well. It's not stiff at all, but as Andy noted it can get lost pretty easily in a band/jam situation. I actually liked my PRRI quite a lot, but I kept wishing it had a 12-inch speaker to push a bit more air. A friend of mine modded his with a baffle for 12-inch speaker from Mojo? (I believe), and it seems a lot more present in a band situation. I believe he also put a highly efficient speaker in his -- Celestion Gold. It still sounds American, tho 8)
I’ve only played one Princeton with a 12” speaker. It had a Jensen Alnico 12”. It was one of these:

I rented one and took it on tour for a month so I got pretty acquainted with it. I found it to be super bassy! I was playing with in a three-piece western folk troubadour kinda gig and it did work well as we had no bass player. I tried using it in my main band as had some rental time left when I got home. It wasn’t working for me. I couldn’t dial the bass out of it. Kind of a wild experience for an amp with a ten inch speaker. It could be the alnico speaker. I don’t have much experience with those.

Still a great amp, though!

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm

the drri was a great amp to play at home not in band contest at 4 it become ice piercing ,loud enought than you hate it ,too much treble ,no warm ect...
si have look at the vibrolux 68 ,it sucks for my taste less loud than my drri ,at the store i have try i pull the volume up and in fact it was really quiet :wtf:

i have don't try a vibrolux custom ,i hope i can try one but it sale for very cheap in fact second hand 800€ more or less , then maybe tere is a reason ?
sinc i have change my amp and find what i need ,but not in fender ressiue ;)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:17 pm

If you want a lower powered Amp the PRRI is a great choice. IMO it does everything well.. If, I need mine to be louder in a Band situation I Mic it. Works for me.

My 65 DRRI took forever to. Break in. Don't know why? But, it sounds good now. You could Mod Tubes, Speaker & Transformer but that gets pricey. Is it worth it?

My Twin is a great Amp too. It is the Pro Tube 100/22 Watt model. It has Eminence Speakers that sound great...

It almost sounds to me like you want a bigger, better sounding Clean Sound.. You might want a Twin.. Big & heavy to lug around but since you're not doing that it may work great for what you want. Luckily they came with Caster Wheels..

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:12 am

NateD81 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 pm
Hi guys,I have a DRRI that I play at home in my garage with no problem. I only get to about 3 when the fam is home and can push it from there if it’s just me which is totally fine. I play clean almost exclusively so I’m happy with those volume levels.

I’m interested in a Vibrolux Reissue (Custom 35w) — would I be happy with the volume level or is it going to be too loud? There’s no where local I can try.

Any other suggestions amp a wise? I’m interested in exploring my options! Need to be 1k- ish and prefer used to save $$

Thanks all!
I’m too paranoid to bring home a twin - I feel like it’d be insanely loud but the more I read about the Vibrolux the more I feel like it could be what I’m looking for. I’ve got a buyer lined up for my DRRI, so I think I’m going to pull the trigger, my only conundrum is the 40w BF VL, or the 35w SF Vibrolux. I hate not being able to try them out but I’m going to bite the bullet.

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Post some pics when you get it!

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 pm

For sure - will do!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:26 am

NateD81 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:12 am
NateD81 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks all!
I’m too paranoid to bring home a twin - I feel like it’d be insanely loud but the more I read about the Vibrolux the more I feel like it could be what I’m looking for. I’ve got a buyer lined up for my DRRI, so I think I’m going to pull the trigger, my only conundrum is the 40w BF VL, or the 35w SF Vibrolux. I hate not being able to try them out but I’m going to bite the bullet.
They're only as loud as you make them. The Pro Tube Twin like mine has a 22 Watt Setting & 100 Watt Setting. Best of both worlds. They were the Top of the Pro Tube Line at one time. New about $2500.00. They were a Limited Run. Traditionalists continued to buy the traditional Twin & the Pro Tube was discontinued. Used ones can be really good Buys if you can find one. The Pro Tube Twin sounds better than either my PRRI or my DRRI. They sound better than the standard Twin Reverb or I would've bought one. They are a Tank to haul around.. So I use the PRRI or my DRRI for playing out. Good luck!