so divided

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

so divided

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:01 am

...is such a fitting title for the latest trail of dead album. some of the songs are great, but most are just boring. i was afraid it was going to be something like this, judging by the direction the last album was taking. that one (worlds apart) was amazing, but you could hear some tendencies towards this sort of 70s-power-rock-phase of theirs. i´m disapointed, one of my favourite bands have lost their edge  :(

anyone else have any thoughts on it..?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: so divided

Post by zhivago » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:09 am

I got three of their albums, and yeah the one before this one wasn't all that, to be honest...so I haven't really bothered with the new one.

In a sense, it's ok though...most bands only make one great album (if that), so Trail of Dead have done a-ok, really :)
Resident Spartan.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:13 am

I haven't bought it yet, and to tell you the truth I'm a little reluctant (although I am gonna eventually buy it anyway) to get it. I liked worlds apart, but there was no denying that "let it dive" sounded like Oasis. That's never a good thing in my band.

Source tags and codes is definitely in my top 5 albums, though.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:20 am

Source & Tags" is fantastic...as is "Madonna", of course :)
Resident Spartan.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:28 am

yeah, it's great. There's some good tracks on the first (eponymous) album, but there's some really meandering stuff on it too. They really came on in leaps and bounds between recording that and "madonna".
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:49 am

i actually love worlds apart. it took me a while to get used to it though. but yeah, source tags... is the best one. i think the first one has a few good songs on it, but it feels like madonna is the first real album if you know what i mean.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:56 am

I like Madonna best but Source would be #2.  The new one is pretty lame and I thought Worlds Apart was spotty (what was with that whole Dark Side of the Moon rip?) but still had some awesome songs.  The thing that drives me the craziest about these guys is how poorly I thought Madonna and Source were engineered/produced... there's a lot of weird static and noises taht are obviously not meant as part of the music.  But I'm going to see them friday so I'm looking forward to it.

Ian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ian » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:28 pm

Did anyone read about the Kevin Allen on-stage collapse and subsequent dust up with Conrad? I think the next couple of shows have been cancelled, no?

But back on track, Source Tags is one of my all time favourite records and I really love Madonna as well. I thought Worlds Apart was ok (some pretty killer songs on it, but some duds too). So Divided... I dunno so much... not really doing much for me at the moment.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:22 pm

I checked their website and it made mention fo only cancelling a show in Houston.  I certainly hope its not cancelled.  Last time I had tickets to see them, it was in New Orleans and a hurricane hit nearby (a couple years before Katrina) and ticketmaster stole my tickets and never mailed me my refund.  Ugh, I hate Ticketmaster...  >:( >:( >:( biggest buncha monopoly having crook ass sons of bitches in the entire US.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:25 am

I hate Ticketmaster too...they fucked up my ticket to see Planes Mistaken For Stars about 6 years ago...it's not like bands like that play London all the time!  >:( >:(  :(

it took them another three years to come back for another gig...I saw them then....but I haven't used Ticketmaster since  >:( >:(
Resident Spartan.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:30 am

zhivago wrote: I hate Ticketmaster too...they fucked up my ticket to see Planes Mistaken For Stars about 6 years ago...it's not like bands like that play London all the time!  >:( >:(  :(

it took them another three years to come back for another gig...I saw them then....but I haven't used Ticketmaster since  >:( >:(
Well, we generally have no choice here.  Want to go to an event?  Pay Ticketbastard's OUTRAGEOUS service charges or don't get a ticket.  Simple as that.  Pretty much the only way to avoid them is if its a small enough show and you can pay at the door.

So this record is growing on me at the moment.  One thing of note... The last song (Sunken Dreams) is pretty obviosuly "inspired" by The Cure at the beginning.
Last edited by Jay on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ian » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:02 am

Did the show end up happening? I hope it wasn't cancelled. Let us know how the show was, assuming it was still a go.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:08 am

The show definitely happened.  I had a lot of mixed feeling about the evening really.  I guess for starters, the sound at the theater was kinda bad.  Not sure how much of that was related to who was operating the board, the quality of the system, or the acoustics of the room but everything sounded very muddy.  In particular, I don't recall hearing a snare drum that sounded like anything other then a stick smacking a wet bag... kind a "pthoot" sorta sound all night.  Cymbals were non existent in any mix as well. So there was that.  There were 4 bands on the bill...  Brothers and Sisters (a rather southern rock and fairly sweet sounding band...  I liked them and Conrad played piano with them), The Celebration who were good, The Blood Brothers who were easily the most unbearable to sit through band I've ever seen, and Trail of Dead.  By the time the Blood Brothers were done, my ears were so fatigued from the 150db constant screaming, I could barely hear anything during the Trail of Dead set.  There were a few highlights...  Wasted State of Mind and Eight Day Hell from the new album (which I really love now having listened to it about 20 times), Will You Smile Again (best tume of the evening) and Caterwaul from World's Apart, and Perfect Teenhood from Madonna.  They mostly played older stuff... only those 2 tracks from the new album.  The worst of the night was How Near, How Far which was virtually unrecognizable were it not for the unmistakable machine gun drumming.  So anyway, we had a good time in all but the Blood Brothers set and the weak sound really spoiled what might have otherwise been a fantastic show.

So is anyone here a fan of the Blood Brothers? I really just didn't get it.  It seems like there might be something there but live they managed to turn their songs into pure white noise for sometimes 4-5 minutes at a time. It seemed like may have been playing something musical underneath the noise but I just couldn't hear it at all.