UPDATE: Custom B&B Double Bound Jazzmasterish Project - DECAL!?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

UPDATE: Custom B&B Double Bound Jazzmasterish Project - DECAL!?

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:30 am

Hey there fellow aficionados!

Upcoming project: as the title suggests:
Double Bound Body Firemist Silver Jazzmaster with Block Inlays, neck Binding and a Matching Headstock.

I still can‘t show much - I just know that the body has been routed and probably will soon be finished by the great Rexter - so in the end it might look something like those three:

Photo credits: google, reverb and user HH1978 - whose guitar motivated me even more to talk to Rexter about my custom project!

I‘m currently looking for a name and a decal!
It should clearly not say Fender - 'cause besides the pickup covers, the pickguard screws and the vibrato system nothing will be original Fender.

Maybe something 60s/70s sci-fi (Star Wars?), spy, surf inspired?
Things that came to my mind (not much I know)
- Spymaster
- Shadowcaster
- Force (or Fuzz) Wielder (the F word in a you guessed it... Fender spagetti kind of font)
- something based on Lando Calrissian and his funky shirt and cape combinations. Like „Scoundrel - smooth (cloud city) administrator“
- If we stay in the SW-universe: The colour-combination might as well be a hint to Mandalorian origin... (but then I also would have to include jetpack with a rocket launcher, a flamethrower, some blasters and a hidden blade somewhere!)

Open to further suggestions and if someone of you is doing Decals and willing to participate - please speak up too! :)

For those who are interested: it will have the grey bobbins Q-pickups, a Staytrem Bridge, White Witchhat knobs (I already got two pairs of Allparts knobs for <3 bucks a piece - still wondering if the 38€ are „worth it“ for the Pure Vintage knobs are worth it. Kluson Revolution F-Style non-locking tuners. Either a greenish Mint, a Vintage Mint or a Parchment Pickguard and for the beginning my Japanese Trem or an AVRI if I can get my hands on one soon)

Picture-Updates as soon as I get them! :w00t:
Last edited by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom Double Bound Body B&B neck Jazzmasterish project - looking for a name! And someone who does decals!

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:34 am

Heya, fellow mate!

I like what you're planning to do with this project, so... being that you asked for an input about a decal with a Star Wars twist...

Being the guitar a jazzMASTER and you looking for the Force in a spaghetti flavour, this is the first thing that blazed into my mind:

Of course there's a lot of room for improvement as this is just a quick job, but that's the basic idea ;)

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom Double Bound Body B&B neck Jazzmasterish project - looking for a name! And someone who does decals!

Post by Rgand » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 am

Force Fuzzmaster, maybe?

Then your :"May The Fuzz Be With You" will work great.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:19 am

Thank you Amon! That already looks lovely! You even integrated the Jedi Order logo! :-*

While I - for obvious reasons - totally agree with the second line ;D - I fear we have to take into consideration that it is a big CBS-style headstock - so the "clouds"(?) are probably misplaced... sadly. I like them. This complicates things but it brings the big 70s font into the game... otherwise it might end up like this:
https://totallywiredguitars.net/65sbjm

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:48 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:19 am
Thank you Amon! That already looks lovely! You even integrated the Jedi Order logo! :-*

While I - for obvious reasons - totally agree with the second line ;D - I fear we have to take into consideration that it is a big CBS-style headstock - so the "clouds"(?) are probably misplaced... sadly. I like them. This complicates things but it brings the big 70s font into the game... otherwise it might end up like this:
https://totallywiredguitars.net/65sbjm
No problem, sir! Yes, the Jedi Order logo too! :D

Right, the CBS headstock sends things off tracks, what do you think of something along this lines?
the "may the fuzz be with you" can be always integrated in a wave-y silhouette to match the upper lettering...

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Hey Amon! Thank you a lot!
I played a bit around with your template. I think I tend more towards the transition era logo due to CBS headstock... yet somehow I forgot how to make letters have outlines in photoshop :fp: - possible because I'm working with indesign mostly these days ... and never knew how to make that golden effect you did... but: these are the products of today's morning.

Less Jedi, still Star Wars. Sadly the z-s in the Strato/Fender Font are hanging too low. So "Fuzz" looks weird to me.
Therefore "Force" is still in the lead... but Rogue is looking quite alright too - there is a guitar shop called Rogue - but no brand as far as I know... well shouldn't affect possible copyright claims at all...as I don't ever plan to sell it.

Still not sure about the wording/name of that thing... maybe someone else has a good idea?
Doesn't necessarily need to be in the SW universe. I'm also expending to H.P. Lovecraft - could take a Cthulhu or Kraken-thing (would fit my band TENTACULA) instead of the Jedi order or Rebel Alliance logo... or something completely different... oh man that isn't as easy as I hoped.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:59 pm

Rouge Squadron was a bunch of cross dressing wookiees and none of them played guitar. Well, one did but the others got mad and tore his arm off.

His vibrato arm.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 am

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 pm
Doesn't necessarily need to be in the SW universe. I'm also expending to H.P. Lovecraft - could take a Cthulhu or Kraken-thing (would fit my band TENTACULA) instead of the Jedi order or Rebel Alliance logo... or something completely different... oh man that isn't as easy as I hoped.
Good call on H.P. Lovecraft!! I love his books to pieces!!
What about this decal?

If you're much into the realm of necronomicon, I would even go a step further using a cryptic writing spell in bold red, no guitar name, just the spell and a pic out of the grimoire... People at your gigs would be intrigued to say the least :w00t:

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 pm

Amon 7.L wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 am
What about this decal?

If you're much into the realm of necronomicon, I would even go a step further using a cryptic writing spell in bold red, no guitar name, just the spell and a pic out of the grimoire... People at your gigs would be intrigued to say the least :w00t:
Hey Amon!
Sorry for not replying earlier.
Actually my girlfriend bought the Necronomicon about six weeks ago. But I haven‘t found my way through it already... maybe I find some time for it on Saturday - and if so I might find a fitting name for that noble beast! I already really like that design idea! Thank you so much!
Maybe it needs some small changes - like turning the cthulhu head some 20 degrees or so (like the rebel alliance logo in my post before) and bigger letters basically like the offset custom body stamp on a 70s cbs JM - following the swing of the big fat letters.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:55 am

Cool project idea all around. Just make sure to spell "Rogue" correctly if you go that route ;)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:38 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:59 pm
Rouge Squadron was a bunch of cross dressing wookiees and none of them played guitar. Well, one did but the others got mad and tore his arm off.

His vibrato arm.
Nicely done, was wondering if anyone else had caught that ;D
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:55 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:55 am
Cool project idea all around. Just make sure to spell "Rogue" correctly if you go that route ;)
Oooops. Damn it. Well I must have been very sleepy that morning... :fp:
But no harm done - everything still in concept-mode.
Thanks for pointing out. Good to have a few more eyes going over it!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:19 am

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:55 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:55 am
Oooops. Damn it. Well I must have been very sleepy that morning... :fp:
But no harm done - everything still in concept-mode.
Thanks for pointing out. Good to have a few more eyes going over it!
You know what? I wouldn't even say that's just you. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I see Rogue spelled wrong ALL the time.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 am

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 pm
Amon 7.L wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 am
What about this decal?

Hey Amon!
Sorry for not replying earlier.
Actually my girlfriend bought the Necronomicon about six weeks ago. But I haven‘t found my way through it already... maybe I find some time for it on Saturday - and if so I might find a fitting name for that noble beast! I already really like that design idea! Thank you so much!
Maybe it needs some small changes - like turning the cthulhu head some 20 degrees or so (like the rebel alliance logo in my post before) and bigger letters basically like the offset custom body stamp on a 70s cbs JM - following the swing of the big fat letters.
Yo, Fuzz!
No problem man, I'm not gonna sue you over a reply timing :D
You're gonna be more than thankful to your girlfriend, the Necronomicon is an excellent book you're definitely gonna enjoying reading but... I warn you, Lovecraft is highly addictive as his writing is brilliant!
Given you said your band is called Tentacula, the most fitting Lovecraft character out of the Necronomicon is Nyarlathothep (but I won't tell you why as I don't won't to get on the spoiler side before you get the chance to read about him :ph34r: )
I'm glad you're liking the general idea of the decal, of course all sort of tweakings are possible to any taste and I'm eager to see what you gonna go for with the final name, so... keep us update!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Custom Double Bound Body B&B neck Jazzmasterish project - looking for a name! And someone who does decals! UPDATE!

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 am

Hey Amon! And hey all other interested offset nerds... I reconsidered all the mentioned names and thought about some more... and due to the color it is supposed to have I had to think about waves... glassy green waves with a nice offshore wind ready to be ridden. And as I wrote a song about waves/surfing which came out as a heavy hitting doom song named LIQUID THUNDER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e88aZeTZfs4!

And after trying a lot (man, those capital letters suck! sometimes they look cool as hell and another word looks total garbage!) - I followed Rexter's advice and asked Rothko & Frost to provide me with some raw material... I poorly photoshopped the decal over the very few pics I had of the neck to see if the text lines up...

I had to reposition the custom offset body text part in one and erased it completely in the other.

So what do you think? (body and headstock will be matched - in a slightly aged firemist silver)
I quite dig it! But my main concerns are:
1) Thunder looks either too small or too little curvy (maybe their template needs a few hits on the space bar to make it turn curvier (as with more text).
2) the custom offset part: right now it says: custom - offset body - by Rexter 2019 (I'm thinking about either dropping the 2019 - or make it: Rexter - offset custom (or custom offset) - 2019 (or body) or skip that thing - maybe replace it with:
3) the debut EP's cover artwork in BW which is supposed to be a or the TENTACULA - is it too crowded with both?
I already liked Amon's Cthulhu/Kraken motive - thank you for it! but I didn't yet find my favorite monster... at least none that looks good on a headstock...