New Guy building Vox Mk III

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
DrGonzo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New Guy building Vox Mk III

Post by DrGonzo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:08 pm

i‘m still not sure about the thickness of the body. in the description of that limited run it says 45mm. which is the same as a strat. the trem block of a strat is only 42mm. when you look at Brian’s guitar in the videos, you can see the trem block appears to even extend the back of the body by one or two millimeters. that one (obviously stoned) guy in the hard rock vault video says something about „cut off the trem block“. not sure if he means in width, which is obvious, or also depth! what do you think about my speculations? should i go with 40mm body thickness?

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:04 am

DrGonzo wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:08 pm
i‘m still not sure about the thickness of the body. in the description of that limited run it says 45mm. which is the same as a strat. the trem block of a strat is only 42mm. when you look at Brian’s guitar in the videos, you can see the trem block appears to even extend the back of the body by one or two millimeters. that one (obviously stoned) guy in the hard rock vault video says something about „cut off the trem block“. not sure if he means in width, which is obvious, or also depth! what do you think about my speculations? should i go with 40mm body thickness?
Hmm I'll make some enquiries. I think my phantom is the same thickness as a Fender

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 am

Check your Dm's

DrGonzo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DrGonzo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:01 am

cool

DrGonzo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DrGonzo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:46 am

Hi there. long time no see!

„what happend to the guy who claimed to build a Mk.III replica?“

well i was pretty busy starting a business as a photographer and tons of other things. on top of that it was just too difficult to find the accurate measurements and the UK made pickups which drove me nuts. also i fell in love with a luthier made Flying V from a guy here in switzerland who made it as a replica from an original 58 V he used to have. so i dug into that project which is a lot easier to finish with good parts!

besides that i came to the conclusion that i might get to a point where i have to sell my rickenbacker 1993plus. i just can’t justify to have a 3000$ 12 string guitar just to play The Bells Of Rhymney and some Beatles lick on my couch every now and then.. So i had the funny idea i could build a Rickenbacker 12 / Vox Mk III hybrid. Basically a hollow Teardrop body with x-bracing (same rounded top shape as the Mk III with some Rickenbacker details and Toaster pickups.

That’s the idea :-) I‘ll build it parallel to the V, maybe i‘ll post the progress here if you’re interested!

cheers