Looking for 3D-modelling knowledgeable people

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Looking for 3D-modelling knowledgeable people

Post by Gordon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am

UPDATED TITLE AND CONTENT (original first post below)

As I have emailed, private-messaged, asked a lot of companies and people, a one-off man-made bridge gets very expensive... and most makers actually declined to do it, as it's too much hassle (which I understand, I'm glad they actually took the time to reply, thank you all if you ever stumble upon this post!). So, I'm back to square one... I don't necessarily want to go super cheap, but it's more like a fun side-project, that'll need tweaking over time; I'll go to a more expensive/better way to do it once I figure out what to change, and if it's worth it.

So, the 3D-printing option seems the best one (and can do it locally, once I get the model).

However, I'm a graphic designer, Illustrator and PhotoShop are fine, but my brain doesn't seem to compute when I try my hand at 3D softwares. Even the simplest ones. Everything is ready in Illustrator, with dimensions and all. Now, I can't figure out how to turn it into a 3D file that I could use... I've tried SketchUp, and it never seems to be correct. For information, it's an elongated version of the bridge I currently have (a HipShot), with longer intonation screws and springs. Something like this:

If someone is willing to help, I can give that AI file if that can be turned into 3D more easily.

Would someone be able to do it, and at what price? Thanks. :)

* original post *

Hey folks!

I was tinkering with the idea of getting a new bridge for my Mustang (the one with the Strat hardtail bridge), or something... I like the guitar, but it feels like there's a lot of empty space that I would like to fill somehow. I'm looking for a simple design to extend the bridge (that is ready already, the joy of being a graphic designer), but I need to find a place to die-cut the plate, and bend a part of it... Ideally chrome-plate it too, though that can wait. I don't have the tools nor the space to do it myself.

Any idea where I could at least ask? I emailed Callaham earlier this week, no reply. I havent tried Glendale, but they'd be expensive. Armadillo is more about milled parts, and I'm not sure Rutters accepts custom orders. If you have other ideas...

Thanks. :)
Last edited by Gordon on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Where to get a custom bridge plate?

Post by timtam » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:12 am

Faction does custom plates .. not sure about the bending ...
https://store.factionguitars.com/pages/faqs
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Where to get a custom bridge plate?

Post by Gordon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 pm

timtam wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:12 am
Faction does custom plates .. not sure about the bending ...
https://store.factionguitars.com/pages/faqs
He was the first option that came to mind! :ph34r: But yeah, I don't think the bending part can be done... Thought you're right, I still should ask to be sure. Thanks. :)
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Looking for 3D-modelling knowledgeable people

Post by Gordon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Gordon wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am
UPDATED TITLE AND CONTENT (original first post below)

As I have emailed, private-messaged, asked a lot of companies and people, a one-off man-made bridge gets very expensive... and most makers actually declined to do it, as it's too much hassle (which I understand, I'm glad they actually took the time to reply, thank you all if you ever stumble upon this post!). So, I'm back to square one... I don't necessarily want to go super cheap, but it's more like a fun side-project, that'll need tweaking over time; I'll go to a more expensive/better way to do it once I figure out what to change, and if it's worth it.

So, the 3D-printing option seems the best one (and can do it locally, once I get the model).

However, I'm a graphic designer, Illustrator and PhotoShop are fine, but my brain doesn't seem to compute when I try my hand at 3D softwares. Even the simplest ones. Everything is ready in Illustrator, with dimensions and all. Now, I can't figure out how to turn it into a 3D file that I could use... I've tried SketchUp, and it never seems to be correct. For information, it's an elongated version of the bridge I currently have (a HipShot), with longer intonation screws and springs. Something like this:

If someone is willing to help, I can give that AI file if that can be turned into 3D more easily.

Would someone be able to do it, and at what price? Thanks. :)
Update and request. :ph34r:

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:26 pm

This is literally what I do for a living. Send me a PM and we can talk about it. :)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:42 pm

So you need a STL file right ?

I've dabbled in designing for 3D printing in Sketchup. Designing for 3D printing requires a different way of thinking than just straight design, eg avoiding non-manifold surfaces, so that the design has closed surfaces that can actually be made into a real object. Things can't just 'look' right. Examples of that required thinking here ...
https://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2016/06/0 ... he-answer/

I always ran my Sketchup-exported STL files through checking/fixing software before sending it to the printer, that checked for missing closed surfaces etc ... so that the design would be printable. But software can't fix everything - you have to design to avoid all the things that make a design unprintable. The software just fixes minor stuff you missed. Sometimes it can't fix things and you have to go back and fix it yourself. After a while you learn not to make the same mistakes.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.