2019 J Mascis Jazzmaster Changes

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2019 J Mascis Jazzmaster Changes

Post by alexpigment » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Roller bridges can be a nice upgrade from a standard tune-o-matic / adjust-o-matic, but honestly, if I were going to replace the bridge (which I don't think is really necessary to be honest if you can address the actual problems with your current bridge), I would also try and address the saddle radius mismatch at the same time. Getting a Staytrem or American Professional bridge is going to be more expensive and will require some extra parts, but I personally think those are a better way to go.

Fendereedo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fendereedo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:29 pm
Roller bridges can be a nice upgrade from a standard tune-o-matic / adjust-o-matic, but honestly, if I were going to replace the bridge (which I don't think is really necessary to be honest if you can address the actual problems with your current bridge), I would also try and address the saddle radius mismatch at the same time. Getting a Staytrem or American Professional bridge is going to be more expensive and will require some extra parts, but I personally think those are a better way to go.
You are absolutely right, maybe if this doesn't work, I'll throw a bit more money at it. As for the string breakage, I've read on here that melting some little plastic covers onto them, helps to reduce the string snapping. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for though.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 am

alexpigment wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:59 am
As I mentioned earlier, that 2019 board looks like rosewood. I did some googling about CITES and found quite a few articles saying that rosewood may come back in 2019 to cheaper guitars. Apparently the big guitar companies have been lobbying to make musical instruments exempt from CITES.
i hope they fail. It's not like Rosewood is some magical wood that makes it better for guitar fretboards. Pretty much any hardwood is absolutely fine, and the only reason people 'like' rosewood is because it's what everyone used back in the day.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:00 am

mgeek wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 am
alexpigment wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, that 2019 board looks like rosewood. I did some googling about CITES and found quite a few articles saying that rosewood may come back in 2019 to cheaper guitars. Apparently the big guitar companies have been lobbying to make musical instruments exempt from CITES.
i hope they fail. It's not like Rosewood is some magical wood that makes it better for guitar fretboards. Pretty much any hardwood is absolutely fine, and the only reason people 'like' rosewood is because it's what everyone used back in the day.
Yeah, my initial gut reaction was disappointment when Indian rosewood stopped being available on "standard" line instruments, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was a good thing overall, as long as the hardwoods or products replacing it were harvested more sustainably.

It's true that musical instruments represent a tiny fraction of total demand for any of the woods we use, but the times are changing and we have to be willing to change with them. The environmental impact of everything adds up.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:22 am

Fendereedo wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 pm
You are absolutely right, maybe if this doesn't work, I'll throw a bit more money at it. As for the string breakage, I've read on here that melting some little plastic covers onto them, helps to reduce the string snapping. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for though.
I think you may be referring to the method I use, which is to use heat shrink tubing around the windings at the ball end of the string. Essentially, you’re just trying to keep the string from unwinding at the ball end. Others recommended Ernie Ball RPS or other reinforced strings. Others recommend soldering the windings. Fender Bullets should work since they have no windings.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 am

mgeek wrote:
It’s certainly not a magical wood, but I think dark rosewood provides an aesthetically pleasing balance to the guitar. Laurel is not a bad wood or anything but I think it often looks sickly, spotty, dull, etc. I’ll fully admit that I could be biased due to the historical use of rosewood though.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:46 am

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:00 am
mgeek wrote:
alexpigment wrote:
Yeah, my initial gut reaction was disappointment when Indian rosewood stopped being available on "standard" line instruments, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was a good thing overall, as long as the hardwoods or products replacing it were harvested more sustainably.

It's true that musical instruments represent a tiny fraction of total demand for any of the woods we use, but the times are changing and we have to be willing to change with them. The environmental impact of everything adds up.
I agree wholeheartedly. Anything but expensive, limited guitars should be using materials besides rosewood. I still hate the look of laurel and pau ferro, but I'd rather an ugly fretboard than ecological disaster.

That said, they need to change the laws so private sellers of vintage guitars etc are exempted. I sold a Microfrets to a guy in Belgium and the entire process was actually a nightmare and took months. Thank god he was cool, but I swore I'd never ship rosewood internationally again. Awful, awful experience

Fendereedo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fendereedo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 am

alexpigment wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:22 am
Fendereedo wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:30 pm
I think you may be referring to the method I use, which is to use heat shrink tubing around the windings at the ball end of the string. Essentially, you’re just trying to keep the string from unwinding at the ball end. Others recommended Ernie Ball RPS or other reinforced strings. Others recommend soldering the windings. Fender Bullets should work since they have no windings.
Hi,
Hadn't realised it was your method, but thanks for the original info. I'm definitely going to try the EB RPS, I really appreciate your input, thank you.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:48 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 am

It’s certainly not a magical wood, but I think dark rosewood provides an aesthetically pleasing balance to the guitar. Laurel is not a bad wood or anything but I think it often looks sickly, spotty, dull, etc. I’ll fully admit that I could be biased due to the historical use of rosewood though.
I've not encountered laurel but if the wood being dark is the appealing thing, then stained or roasted... anything would do imo.

Aside from the looks I don't particularly rate rosewood in other ways either, splintery when refretting, not particularly hard wearing and prone to divots. Maple is a superior fretboard wood in every way

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:46 pm

mgeek wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:48 pm
I've not encountered laurel but if the wood being dark is the appealing thing, then stained or roasted... anything would do imo.

Aside from the looks I don't particularly rate rosewood in other ways either, splintery when refretting, not particularly hard wearing and prone to divots. Maple is a superior fretboard wood in every way
I'd be down for stained boards if that helps improve the look. A pale rosewood even looks bad to my eyes. Really, I just want a dark fretboard on certain guitars. They could make it out of synthetic materials for all I care (e.g. Richlite).

angerjas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by angerjas » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:37 am

alexpigment wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 am
mgeek wrote:
If they'd used laurel historically, you might well be saying rosewood is too dark and a sacrilege, though :p

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 am

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but the Squier logo has been updated to the newer design.
Looks cool.

prospect
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by prospect » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:16 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 am
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but the Squier logo has been updated to the newer design.
Looks cool.
Good catch. The wood around the truss rod opening is different too. I still have both necks. I'll try to get photos of the headstock up soon.

I ended up keeping both for now. The 2019 neck - although not as comfortable to me - does have an interesting feel and tone. The 2019 neck vibrates and rings more in my hands. It could be because of the different finish.

Fendereedo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fendereedo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 pm

prospect wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:16 pm
CROSS_guitars wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 am
Looks cool.
Good catch. The wood around the truss rod opening is different too. I still have both necks. I'll try to get photos of the headstock up soon.

I ended up keeping both for now. The 2019 neck - although not as comfortable to me - does have an interesting feel and tone. The 2019 neck vibrates and rings more in my hands. It could be because of the different finish.
You've certainly got me pandering after an older JM JM now. I've never owned one of them, or played one, and so, the search begins lol.

prospect
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by prospect » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Here are the headstock comparisons.
Top is 2018. Bottom is 2019.

Note, I have the allen keys in one pic because the allen keys are also different measurements for each neck. They changed the truss rod too.

https://imgur.com/a/uuvgsxg