Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am

This new Death and Vanilla album is currently floating my boat in a very good way.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 13, 2019 8:47 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am
This new Death and Vanilla album is currently floating my boat in a very good way.
Yeah me too, it's been getting a lot of play by all the family over the weekend.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
i like track 3 a good bit, i'll listen to it all a few times now
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon May 13, 2019 8:50 am

tune_link wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:39 am
I love that this thread exists. I now feel like I must be in the right place for me. As soon as I saw all the Ghost Box stuff mentioned in the first post along with Le Superhomard.

Huge Broadcast fan over here.
welcome to the forums
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 am

panoramic wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 am
Jaguar018 wrote:
i like track 3 a good bit, i'll listen to it all a few times now
It's a like a My Bloody a valentine song with all the distortion binned.

D

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Tue May 14, 2019 5:05 am

scoping out this Death and Vanilla! good stuff so far!

you all into Sound of Ceres/Candy Claws? it kinda reminds me of that.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 am

I forgot to post about the coming Vanishing Twin elpee The Age Of Immunology which is up for preorder. Only listened to a very short extract when I was buying it but what I heard sounded up to the usual high standard.

Justin Hopper & Sharron Kraus with Belbury Poly elpee 'Chanctonbury Rings 'on Ghost Box goes up for pre on Friday though (and I may be wrong about this) the days of absolutely needing to get in early with Ghost Box are long gone.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:42 am

shadowplay wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:30 am
I forgot to post about the coming Vanishing Twin elpee The Age Of Immunology which is up for preorder. Only listened to a very short extract when I was buying it but what I heard sounded up to the usual high standard.
Woah. :)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 15, 2019 2:13 am

really fancy this but it's right in the middle of our summer holiday up north and the same night as our Midsummer party, it's a bit of a trek to london from Oban and I doubt I could get enough tickets. Bought the poster at least and we'll make a decision.
A Midsummer Night’s Happening

with Ghost Box and Trunk Records

A solstice celebration hosted by state51, Ghost Box and Trunk Records. Both record labels have invited a variety of artists and friends to perform at this very special party. There’ll be live music, artwork, film, food and merchandise spread across three specially designed and themed interiors. Pan’s Garden, The Youth Club and The TV Chamber.

The evening will start in with a live performance of Justin Hopper and Sharron Kraus’s beautiful and haunting Chanctonbury Rings, accompanied by visuals by photographer Wendy Pye. The evening also marks the release of the album. n>

Then Wisbey will take the stage, he of Dirty Fan Mail fame and, who could forget, The Ladies Bras. He’ll be asking the audience to request their favourite soundtracks that he will then perform on the home organ in his own inimitable style. Think Jaws played as free jazz, etc.

Another Trunk Records performance follows next, The Kirchin Tape Lab with Jonny Trunk and his OST co-host (and member of radiophonics outfit Howlround), Robin “The Fog” Warren. They’ll be playing out live tape reels from the as yet, unheard archives of Basil Kirchin.

Next is a very rare chance to see the Soundacrriers. They’ll be in instrumental mode to perform a live soundtrack to a film by Ghost Box co-manager and graphic designer Julian House.

Pye Corner Audio will headline the evening with a live set of Martin Jenkin’s unique haunted dance music and submerged sci-fi epics.

There’ll also be…

An exhibition of Frances Castle’s Clay Pipe Music artwork,

DJ sets from Ghost Box, Trunk & Clay Pipe Music throughout the evening and later,

Join The Mangle (who make all the Trunk Records prints and tees) to screenprint your own Julian House designed Midsummer Night’s Happening T Shirt.

A State51 shop with merchandise and records from all those taking part.

And there will no doubt be more things going on and down.

All this and fresh cooked food!

It’s All Happening at The state51 Factory, 8-10 Rhoda St., London, 21st June 2019, 6:30 until late. span>

The Midsummer Night’s Happening is a private party open to a limited number of invited guests and friends. To receive your exclusive invitation, pre-order the limited edition print of Julian House’s event poster from either the Ghost Box or Trunk shop.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 am

Looks like a fun evening.

I haven't even managed to get the last Ghost Box release with everything that's been going on, but Ì'm going to make sure I get that Sharon Kraus/Justin Hopper one.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:59 am

New Listening Center 'Retrieving' out on Polytechnic Youth which won't last long if you are after the black format.

There's also a new 2 trk Jacco Gardner 12" out called Fading Cosmos. It's instrumental and side a is a sort of sleepyheaded library dub, while the killer bee is very European cinematic folk of the sort that going to carry heavy tariffs after a hard Brexit and is no doubt going to be denounced by Nigel Farage on his hatefilled radio show.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:58 am

There's a new Tomorrow Syndicate mini elpee on god's own format (ten inch) out in any week now and bizarrely for something that's going to be pressed in small numbers and going to sell out pronto, they've decided to get themselves some billboard advertising in the Badlands between Battlefield and Cathcart on the South Side of Glasgow...or have they? I considerably diverted my morning run to take a picture of this but when I got there their advert wasn't on the digital billboard which was both a disappointment because it was digital and also because it flipping wasn't there in the first place.

This was taken by the band.

Short klipp

This might be handy for some folk, it's pretty much OT but if you don't follow PY or are recluctant to get into buying a lot of lathe cuts it's a fine starter for ten. Polytechnic Youth Bandcamp Artist Portal

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 am

So Justin Hopper & Sharron Kraus with Belbury Poly - Chanctonbury Rings arrived this morning (Ghost Box) I've played it twice and really enjoyed it.

It's pretty much a kin of a Folklore Tapes release after a spit and polish, it even looks like one or perhaps it's a Radio 4 thoughtpiece. This looks like faint praise but it's not meant that way because if it was on Radio 4 it's exactly the sort of thing I'd be pleading for a vinyl release of and I'm a Folklore Tapes fan going right back to the ye olde dayes of tapes on Devon Folklore Tapes.

There's only one actual song 'Wanderer' which further cements my view that Sharron Kraus is the real deal and one of our folk treasures, the rest is a montage of spoken word, piping village square folk, elegant Popol Vuh style bucolic guitar drang, am dram witch wailing and the signature Belbury open university synth retrofuturistmedievalism.

A lovely way to spend the best part of an hour.

D

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:41 am

Late to the party but I finally heard the Vanishing Twin LP yesterday and I'm blown away. Definitely my favorite thing in this vein I've heard in a really long time.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:23 am

Been playing the last Le SuperHomard elpee Meadow Lane Park a lot just as the warmer weather comes in (kinda in rotation with Dominique Dumont). I was prompted by buying their kinda Friendly Firesish recent seven Domino.

It's very much a blend of Stereolab (sometimes you can hear specific tunes like one is totally haunted by Les Yper SOund), Saint Etienne and Air I guess but it's free of any arty influences and just a lovely pop record for sitting in the sun or cruising in your cabrio, it's makes everywhere the South of France; bright, breezy and filmic.

Like the whole record but the intro instro in the Park is particularly lovely.

Videos

Springtime

Paper Girl

Meadow Lane Park (I mean this is very much Dots and Loops era but still enjoyable)

D