Fender jazzmaster avri high E String breaking ever

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Gianni.jag_jazz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender jazzmaster avri high E String breaking ever

Post by Gianni.jag_jazz » Sun May 12, 2019 10:54 am

Hello guys, i have a serious problem with the string high E. it breaks near the ball
I use ernie ball and daddario strings 011
can you help me?
 Please

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender jazzmaster avri high E String breaking ever

Post by pikmin » Sun May 12, 2019 1:14 pm

I had the same Problem with d’addario’s ...
Actually, the strings unwound at the ball end on jazzmasters and Jaguars .
I tried several brands and the Fender super Bullet strings are the good one for that kind of trem ...
No more high E string breaking .

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Sun May 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Ernie Ball RPS strings are reinforced in that exact area; use them on all my Jaguars/Jazzmasters, they never unwind.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Sun May 12, 2019 2:13 pm

I add a small ball of solder on the end; no more problems since.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sun May 12, 2019 5:27 pm

This is a very common problem with offset trems, but you should be able to solve this problem today without too much effort. The solutions you'll hear range from direct (the trem itself) to indirect (the strings), and I'll run down a few of them.

1) You'll hear people say to change string brands. This is all highly anecdotal because for basically every recommendation of brand/model, you're going to see someone who has the same problem with that brand/model. It really just depends on how they work on your trem in your guitar. The only model of string that is really immune to this is Fender Bullets. They don't have a windings around a ball end, so they inherently can't become unwound. This does limit your choice of strings obviously, and in an ideal world, you should be able to use whatever you think sounds/feels the best. But if you're cool with Fender Bullets, this is the easiest solution.

2) Some will say to solder the windings at ball end. I've tried this, and it seemed to work. Assuming you have a soldering iron, this is probably the easiest way to solve the problem without going and buying any tools or strings you don't already have.

3) Some will tell you to file the hole where the string goes through on the tremolo with a round file - the theory is that the string is coming undone because of a burr in this hole (note: others will say it's the strings rubbing against the screws on the top of the trem). This is the most direct solution in theory, but I honestly don't think the source of the problem is usually visible so it's hard to tell if/when you've actually addressed it. I gave it a try once and didn't really have any luck. I'm guessing I wasn't doing it right, but I couldn't really tell what I was looking for, and I didn't have infinite strings to keep trying.

With all these solutions in mind, I have a method that I like because it addresses this issue without fail while also stopping unwanted noise behind the bridge. I take a piece of heat shrink tubing - the smallest diameter I can find at Home Depot. I cut about 3/4 of an inch, put it on the string before installing it, and melt it so it covers the windings (make sure to pull it snug against the ball while it's still hot). Sure, you could do this with only the high E, but as I mentioned, it also dampens the sound behind the bridge so I don't hear ringing after I play a note/chord - so I use it on all 6 strings. Yeah, it's a bit annoying and it adds ~5 extra minutes to string changes, but I think the benefits are worth it.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Sun May 12, 2019 6:04 pm

To clarify - I wasn't saying to just switch string brands, the RPS strings are engineered specifically to avoid the issue of the strings coming unwound at the ball. They're actually reinforced (hence the name) at the weak point where Offsets usually break. I'm pretty sure some other brands have the same sort of concept, but the RPS are pretty easy to obtain and available in a variety of gauges etc.

I've never broken one of these:

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sun May 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks for the clarification and the pictures. I had a feeling they would work better based on you saying they were reinforced, but yeah, that looks like they probably won't suffer from the same problem. And I was really just talking about people saying to use GHS vs D'Addario, etc (I went through several GHS Boomers high E strings on offsets - they're still the brand I like).

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 pm

D'addario also carry soldered versions of most of their nickel wound strings, they're labelled EKXL instead of the standard EXL

Gianni.jag_jazz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gianni.jag_jazz » Mon May 13, 2019 12:25 am

I bought the fender bullet strings. for now on the jaguar i'm ok and i like them. the problem is when I want to put them to the jazzmaster. the bullet touches the plate too much. I don’t know how to explain.. I don't know how to take a picture of you on the forum :'(

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Mon May 13, 2019 1:19 am

Gianni.jag_jazz wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:25 am
I bought the fender bullet strings. for now on the jaguar i'm ok and i like them. the problem is when I want to put them to the jazzmaster. the bullet touches the plate too much. I don’t know how to explain.. I don't know how to take a picture of you on the forum :'(
I think I know what you mean, I had the same problem on my Jag. For some strings, the bullet gets wedged between the vibrato and plate.

Gianni.jag_jazz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gianni.jag_jazz » Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 am

Futuron wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:19 am
Gianni.jag_jazz wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:25 am
I think I know what you mean, I had the same problem on my Jag. For some strings, the bullet gets wedged between the vibrato and plate.
yeeeeees it’s right. the vibrato plate is much lower than the jaguar. Is it possible to solve this problem?

Gianni.jag_jazz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Gianni.jag_jazz » Mon May 13, 2019 2:16 am

for example my jazzmaster doesn’t have the high plate as in this picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/ ... aster5.jpg

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Mon May 13, 2019 5:24 am

I assume that this means that the tremolo isn’t set up ideally. The arm should be fairly perpendicular to the body before it bends 90 degrees. Do you have a trem lock on your Jazz and if so, does it function properly? I would think that if the angle is wrong on the trem it either won’t engage or it still will allow the arm to move upward while engaged.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon May 13, 2019 5:30 am

I just use Ernie Ball RPS Strings on all.of my tremolo equipped guitars now. Haven't broken a string yet, thankfully.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Mon May 13, 2019 8:54 am

Same problem with my MIJ Jazzmaster -- decided to go full caveman and just use a plain B-string instead of an E, so both my E and B strings are 13's.

Works pretty well, and the high E is more 'authoritative'. YMMV