Trinity Thirty - Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session commemorated by Deadbeat & Camara

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
aRoseisaRoseis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Trinity Thirty - Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session commemorated by Deadbeat & Camara

Post by aRoseisaRoseis » Mon May 06, 2019 1:39 pm

The Cowboy Junkies seem to have gotten lots of love here so I figured this could be of wider interest. (Clickbait :P )
To be honest, I believe this to be of near universal appeal and deserving all the attention it gets, I found it's soft spun charms impossible to resist.
Abridged version of the quality write-up and my current favourites below, feel free to skip to the bandcamp instead.
Trinity Thirty is a celebration and reinterpretation of the much beloved Cowboy Junkies classic The Trinity Session, on the occasion of the album’s 30th anniversary .
++
The Trinity Session is rightly celebrated for its naturalistic, profoundly languorous covers of classic tunes and traditional work songs (“I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”, “Mining For Gold”, “Blue Moon” et al) – and famous for having been recorded with a single microphone in single takes at a church in Toronto. For Trinity Thirty, Deadbeat and Camara similarly re-recorded everything with ambient mics in a big open space at Berlin’s Chez Cherie studio, relying heavily on natural room acoustics, committed to raw first takes, guided by an overriding strategy of slowing down all the tempos as far as they could while continuing to channel the warm asceticism of the original album.
++
The gauzy, quavering, reverberant slowcore vibes of artists like Galaxie 500, Grouper and Codeine are a key reference point for Deadbeat & Camara’s prevailing aesthetic: clouds of textured drone and hushed vocals drift through cavernous space, where long decays gently warp and distort the melodic vocal lines and the insistently languid percussion, anchored by thick saturated bass tones representing the most overt influence carried through from their electronic music bona fides. Trinity Thirty is a gorgeously sedate, subtly avant-garde and wonderfully reverent re- interpretation of this classic album.
These are just the most immediately engaging picks for me as I'm on my third listen right now.
Blue Moon Revisited (Song For Elvis) I feel like this may be playing at the Twin Peaks Roadhouse at the present moment. Also possibly The Perfect Song for The Perfect Prom Dance I never had. :D
I Don't Get It After Midnight (Medley)One of the more decidedly electronic treatments.
To Love Is To BuryVery much reminding me of Low. Beautiful Vocal Harmonies, which should be said of the whole album.

Hope someone here enjoys it.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Trinity Thirty - Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session commemorated by Deadbeat & Camara

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 07, 2019 2:00 am

That's pretty interesting, it sounds a terrible idea but actually looks like it might have actually worked.

I think I'll buy it based on the few short clips I listened to. Some of it reminds me of the Fuxa comeback album from a few years ago with the cover of Our Lips are Sealed sung by Sarah Peaock on it, some even a bit lofi HTRK and some like a portastudio version of the Johnny Jewel spinoff Heaven.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Trinity Thirty - Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Session commemorated by Deadbeat & Camara

Post by mezcalhead » Tue May 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Thanks, I would've missed this!

I think I'll buy a copy for my sister, she was a massive fan and the original album always reminds me of when we lived together in dodgy share houses as dirt-poor students.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 09, 2019 3:00 am

Now it's here...controversial perhaps but I've got more use for this than the original. I really like it.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu May 09, 2019 4:00 am

reading the release notes, it appears "Deadbeat" is a big fan of the original album. so i appreciate that it's respectful and not some piss-take -
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers