Best pedal graphics?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Best pedal graphics?

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:02 pm

I've always really appreciated the Lovetone aesthetic. They were big, bright, cohesive with one another, still had an eye toward functionality and they used purple a lot! I :-* purple.

The Mutrons have always captivated me as well. The Octave Divider looks so cool. I'm grateful to have owned one forever. I have always appreciated the Death By Audio stuff too. Especially the DIY factor.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:23 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:49 am
Original compact Boss. Design not mere styling, Boss are the Bauhaus of pedals*.

*except when they have the fucking Waza logo on them which is like looking at Eva Green and thinking 'what she really needs is Dave Navarro's wanker goatee'.
Great, thanks. Now every time I look down at my Boss pedals I will be thinking of Eva Green. I don't need that distraction too!

zenarcade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zenarcade » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 am

I really like the look of the Stone Deaf pedals

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 am

I’m surprised no one has said zVex yet.

I like minimal graphics and bright colors over hand painted, so they wouldn’t be my first choice, but I always appreciated the Bee on my SHO.

Besides the Mu-tron aesthetics I always liked the early EHx graphics, not so much the current versions although there are one or two like the Pog that I like, but Electric Mistreess, Poly Chorus and Deluxe Memory Man always looked as good as the sounded. I liked the fonts and their arrangements seemed well planned.

Colorsound was always bold and bright psychedelic fonts and colors, Lovetone carried that torch for a while, but a always liked the stripped down minimalism. I like it in music too. Fairfield does it really well and I will give Parry a shout out for that too.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 am

Did someone say Zvex? :)

Resident Spartan.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:02 am

I tend to lean towards that analog/retro styling. Just very sensible, clear to read digits & simple text.

So yeah, Moog FTW.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am

JVG wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 pm
I've grown an appreciation for Fulltone graphics. They clearly don't give a shit about appearances, even down to the use of Comic Sans on the OCD!

I own several Fulltones, and find beauty in their ugliness. The build quality and sound is amazing without exception. I respect that approach; they look like workhorses, not toys.

Cheers!
J.
I have to agree with this, I have 3 of their pedals (Truepath AB/Y and 2 supatrems) and they really are solid, built like tanks and do what they're supposed to do very, very well.

Nothing overly special in their graphics, really, but I love the design of the boxes themselves, and the layout of their features, with the lights, knobs and switches. It's very practical and utilitarian, but I also think they're really good looking pedals. Almost a combination of military/'60's/modern look.

Well, the pedals that I have, at least, which are their custom shop pedals. I can't really speak to the others very much, I've never had any or used any.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

MT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MT » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:36 pm

I always enjoy Tony’s work for Tym Guitars.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:56 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 am
I’m surprised no one has said zVex yet.

I like minimal graphics and bright colors over hand painted, so they wouldn’t be my first choice, but I always appreciated the Bee on my SHO.
I had a SHO a long time ago and eventually sold it. I later built one since they cost about $20 total in parts. But I STILL felt something lacking. It was the look! I eventually bought another. A 2005 with the original art. I use it a bunch.

So yeah, I dig those pedals too. Mainly just the Myrold and Laura Bennett stuff though. I don’t care too much for the newer ones.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm

MT wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:36 pm
I always enjoy Tony’s work for Tym Guitars.
Saw your Echorec in that last pic, and it reminded me that Catalilnbread usually has some pretty cool graphics. I like them on my RAH and my Karma Suture, and the Galileo I used to have was very nice. They may not be the best, but they are cool.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Boss
Fairfield
Old big box EHX

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Boss. Seriously, they did it right and they've done since the beginning.

I do enjoy various graphics on pedals, despite myself. It's odd to me to get excited about a picture you'll just be stepping on and beating to shit. I think the Walrus dark horse with the LED eye is pretty nicely done. Zvex is the opposite of my own sensibility and if I wanted one of his pedals I'd make it.

I'll add that the ugliest pedal I've ever seen is that polara reverb. Not only is it ugly as ugly can be, the design makes it hard to read the settings. It's the exact opposite of what's supposed to happen.
This is an excellent rectangle

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I remember that I fell in love with this one when it came out (got reissued) appx. 20 years ago (I still have that 1st Maxon reissue series catalogue somewhere). Knobs + size + switch + graphics + colour = perfection. Boutique before there was boutique :freako:

Vintage Roland Stuff is also great ... always:

I always loved the simplicity of the original Supa Trem:

And way underrated (and long before the boutique pedal hype):

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:17 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm
I'll add that the ugliest pedal I've ever seen is that polara reverb. Not only is it ugly as ugly can be, the design makes it hard to read the settings. It's the exact opposite of what's supposed to happen.
Those DigiTech pedals are the ugliest I've ever seen, also.

I love the look of that yellow Maxon flanger with the rectangular metal button. If I thought I needed a flanger I'd get that one just for looks. The purple knob CBA flanger has a really nice look as well. No...I don't need!

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:17 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm
Those DigiTech pedals are the ugliest I've ever seen, also.
doubt you'll see many more of them. it was right around this time last year that DigiTech/DOD's whole pedal design team got axed when Harman downsized:

https://www.gearnews.com/tom-kramn-enti ... eam-fired/

what's left of the product line on the Digitech website looks like old, marked-down stock. you have to wonder what the brands' prospects are.
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers