Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar

Post by pikmin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:30 am

timtam wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:43 pm
pikmin wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm
First real demo of the CV 70s Jaguar .
It looks and it sounds good .

https://youtu.be/BRh85StBoBw
First pic at t=75s there of a radius gauge on the strings to verify bridge's 9.5" radius ...
https://youtu.be/BRh85StBoBw?t=75

That makes the CV's bridge the first verified import Mustang bridge with 9.5" radius AFAIK (the Am Pro jag/JM was the first US Mustang-style bridge with 9.5" radius).

He didn't report E-E spacing though. :(
He said in the comments ( on Facebook I think ) that the bridge spacing is 52 mm ( like a Staytrem ) .

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:33 am

pikmin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:30 am
timtam wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:43 pm
pikmin wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm
First real demo of the CV 70s Jaguar .
It looks and it sounds good .

https://youtu.be/BRh85StBoBw
First pic at t=75s there of a radius gauge on the strings to verify bridge's 9.5" radius ...
https://youtu.be/BRh85StBoBw?t=75

That makes the CV's bridge the first verified import Mustang bridge with 9.5" radius AFAIK (the Am Pro jag/JM was the first US Mustang-style bridge with 9.5" radius).

He didn't report E-E spacing though. :(
He said in the comments ( on Facebook I think ) that the bridge spacing is 52 mm ( like a Staytrem ) .
Great. Assuming that like other Squier parts, Fender won't make the bridge available as an aftermarket part, it will be interesting to see if it crops up as an unbranded Mustang bridge on import channels like ebay and aliexpress, like the existing unbranded Mustang and jag/JM vintage-style bridges there now ... which we assume probably come from the same factory(s) (Korean ?) that Squier has sourced them from for previous guitars.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:50 am

I get used ones will come up for sale because of the ubiquitous "you HAVE to replace a JM/Jaguar bridge" sentiment, and people will assume that because they're Squiers the bridges must be extra shitty.

Hopefully that means a steady supply of $20 gently used 52mm bridges for us in the know 8)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:55 am

It might be a dumb question but do import bridges tend to fit US-spec guitars?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:07 pm

I don't want another guitar but I want one of these. A used one, so I'll have to wait anyways.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:08 pm

601210 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:00 pm
Better that than the standard blues-rock wank, although my main takeaway from this video was that I really want a Hudson Broadcast.
Fair enough. I guess I just find that a lot of offset players on youtube seemingly want to be the "atmospheric fuzz guitar" guy in a band, and that really just doesn't work in a one-man situation. It's that and Nirvana covers :) I'd rather see a dude like Michael Lemmo (new Guitar Of The Day host) show how an offset can truly be played to its fullest as a solo instrument. Granted, he's in a league above the vast majority of us.

unreal77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by unreal77 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:58 am

Somehow true. Having said that, the thomman demo sucked ass. The guy knew squat about offsets. Blues wankery and a bit of atmospherics never hurt anyone.

JasonTMays
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JasonTMays » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:43 pm

So...this guy arrived today :whistle:

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:42 pm

That actually looks really nice. I'm not a fan of black guitars for the most part - I usually find them boring - but between the pickguard, metal control plates, off-white pickups and bound neck, there's a decent amount of contrast. Those Indian Laurel fretboards do look a little dry. I wonder if some fretboard polish could darken & shine it up a bit.

space2001odyssey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by space2001odyssey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:18 am

Looks beautiful, can't wait to try the CV Jag out. Could you please tell us the answer to the most important question concerning this guitar that is what the truss rod nut/plug is made of (plastic, wood?) ;)

lespaulfreak93
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lespaulfreak93 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 am

My first post here :)

I got mine almost 3 weeks ago, probably the first in Europe.
While I absolutely love it it has a few flaws. I can accept finish flaws, but a few are quite major especially in the neck binding.
The sound is fantastic. The bridge leaves a lot to be desired.

I took it to rehearsal yesterday and I broke 3 (!!!) High E strings and had to tune the thing every minute. I changed the strings to 11-56's right now and it seems to be fine, but kind of defeats the purpose of a short scale guitar.

I love it nonetheless. It's a real beauty and sounds fantastic. The 11-56's ruined the sound a bit for me but it's still a great sounding guitar.
I'm thinking about getting the CV 60's Jazzmaster next month, but A) no black, B) with my experience with this kind of bridge so far I might give it a pass.

Edit: Oh and to avoid being negative, this truly is the most versatile guitar I've ever played. The electronics are amazing. It does beautiful cleans as well as it does heavy high-gain stuff. Great rock guitar, too.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 am

lespaulfreak93 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 am
I took it to rehearsal yesterday and I broke 3 (!!!) High E strings and had to tune the thing every minute. I changed the strings to 11-56's right now and it seems to be fine, but kind of defeats the purpose of a short scale guitar.
I doubt the strings breaking are because of the bridge. I've had this same thing happen on 3 Jazzmasters and the problem usually occurs at the tremolo. The tell-tale sign is that the high E string keeps going out of tune and you keep tuning it up. Essentially, what's happening is the hole for the string (or perhaps that big screw on the tremolo?) starts compromising the winds at the ball end until it breaks. I used to have to keep a stock of high E strings because I was breaking them once or twice a week.

Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to fix this:

1) Get Fender Bullet strings - they don't have any windings at the end; the string just goes straight into a metal 'bullet' at the end.

2) Take about 3/4 of an inch of heat shrink tubing (3/32" - 3/64") and put it at the end of the string before you put the string on the guitar. Heat it up with a lighter, and pull it snug to the ball end of the string while it's still a little malleable. Then put the string on. Make sure the tubing is long enough that it is above that screw on the bridge. Note that this is my preferred method as it allows me to still use my favorite GHS Boomers strings, and I haven't broken a high E string since.

3) Get a new bridge (American Vintage, etc). Honestly, I would only do this if you wan to upgrade the tremolo anyway. You have just as much of a chance of the same thing happening on the new bridge. I've had it happen on a Squier, MIM, and American Vintage bridge, fwiw, although not every bridge is affected.

Anyway, I would say you could have this problem fixed today with options 1 or 2.
Last edited by alexpigment on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

lespaulfreak93
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lespaulfreak93 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:39 am

alexpigment wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 am
lespaulfreak93 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 am
I doubt the strings breaking are because of the bridge. I've had this same thing happen on 3 Jazzmasters and the problem usually occurs at the tremolo. The tale-tell sign is that the high E string keeps going out of tune and you keep tuning it up. Essentially, what's happening is the hole for the string (or perhaps that big screw on the tremolo?) starts compromising the winds at the ball end until it breaks. I used to have to keep a stock of high E strings because I was breaking them once or twice a week.

Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to fix this:

1) Get Fender Bullet strings - they don't have any windings at the end; the string just goes straight into a metal 'bullet' at the end.

2) Take about 3/4 of an inch of heat shrink tubing (3/32" - 3/64") and put it at the end of the string before you put the string on the guitar. Heat it up with a lighter, and pull it snug to the ball end of the string while it's still a little malleable. Then put the string on. Make sure the tubing is long enough that it is above that screw on the bridge. Note that this is my preferred method as it allows me to still use my favorite GHS Boomers strings, and I haven't broken a high E string since.

3) Get a new bridge (American Vintage, etc). Honestly, I would only do this if you wan to upgrade the tremolo anyway. You have just as much of a chance of the same thing happening on the new bridge. I've had it happen on a Squier, MIM, and American Vintage bridge, fwiw, although not every bridge is affected.

Anyway, I would say you could have this problem fixed today with options 1 or 2.
Thanks :) The super heavy strings seem to have fixed the issue and a few others, but will have to try the heat shrink tubing method. I have specific string requirements due to an allergy to most alloys that strings are made of :(
I also set up the trem a bit (all the screws were pretty loose by my standards, and assembled and reassembled it per quite a few "how to adjust a jazzmaster trem" videos) but they have no contact with the string. I appreciate the advice!

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:44 am

lespaulfreak93 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:39 am
I also set up the trem a bit (all the screws were pretty loose by my standards, and assembled and reassembled it per quite a few "how to adjust a jazzmaster trem" videos) but they have no contact with the string. I appreciate the advice!
No problem. By the way, the strings don't touch the screws on any of mine either by default. I suspect - and this is just a guess - that when using the tremolo, the strings dip down and touch that screw, and the sharp parts of the screw grab the windings when you let go of the tremolo. I can't say for sure - it could just be string holes in the tremolo itself being sharp. Either way, the tubing should cover both bases. Note that the Mastery bridge has flat screws - I suspect there's a reason for that.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 am

Out of curiosity, where did the string breaks occur and was it the same all 3 times?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.