Song of the Day Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:50 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:56 pm
Agreed on the Becoming Animal and Fovea Hex links. Quite reminiscent of Dead Can Dance to me, if that's not a lazy analogy.

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:51 am
Mogard (we'll call him that despite it being a pseudonym)
Next you'll be telling me he's not a retired Serbian metalworker or whatever.

I have that Tamaryn already on the radar, I really liked the last one, which I picked up on recommendation from you as well IIRC.

Not sure I can really get my head around the Thighpaulsandra, I find some of that sort of music sits well with me and then some doesn't, depending on mood. (That probably says more about me than it does about them.)

Dead Can Dance is a perfectly valid comparison. To be honest it's a good one beause it's a side step from me doing my usual and trotting out a Coil comparison which is probaby soundtracked by people clicking away.

I think the sad thing about 'Mogard' is people are getting distracted by the backstory when they should concentrate on the music.

Ive had the Tamaryn on a lot today as opposed to it just being on when I'm about. It's still pretty dreampop at it's core and mostly hovering around a sort of sweet spot between The Cocteau Twins and Violet Indiana but I still enjoy her flights into the Madonnasphere like on Victim Complex.

I totally get what you say about Thighpaulsandra, he's sometimes a bit of a prog noodler for me and a bit muso which would probably appal him but he does hit the spot too.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:15 am

The Golden Filter - Restraint had most of Swiss Coven Shadowplay out seeing TGF supporting Sharon Van Etten the other week thanks to a 14+ age limit and a doorman willing to turn a blind eye to the two underage Shadowplay Witches we smuggled past them in a puff of face powder. Anyway really good and brave of SVE to have an electronic act supporting, though I could feel resistant grumbles from the more rockist contigent. Anyway this is a fantastic EP that shows the The Golden Filter/Penelope Trappes axis to be at the absolute peak of their powers. Sadly this EP is only available as a Tee shirt/digital, though it does mean we could all go out as a gang in the same shirt! :unsure:

The Golden Filter - Silence just a random selection it's all totally prime

Suicide and Curses - It All Sounds The Same this has been totally bumpin my rump since I got it.

The Magic Ray - The Tuning of the Road delicious 2468motorik that kinda spoons with spirit of the age and having a Scottish singer puts it over the edge.

The Magic Ray - The Tuning of the Road (Simple Symmetry Remix) very Kill The DJ to me, meaning very good.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:17 am

I haven't heard the new Thighpaulsandra album yet - loved The Golden Communion though.

And the fact that he played for 80s pop metallers Tigertailz as well as good stuff like Spiritualised and Coil is hilarious.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:20 am

NickD wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:17 am

And the fact that he played for 80s pop metallers Tigertailz as well as good stuff like Spiritualised and Coil is hilarious.
I didn't know that. :w00t:

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:47 am

Not all the time, a bit of keyboards here and there I think, but funny all the same.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:21 pm

How odd, on par with the fact that Gordon Sharp was nearly in Duran Duran.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:45 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:38 am

Eva Geist - Urban Monogamy (Velvet Season & The Hearts of Gold Remix)a seductive sensualist masterpiece with gorgeous plumes of eastern promise.

Total Control - New Age Hop [Ozone mix] Could honestly be Coil at their most floor focussed or at least one acid tab over.

VoX LoW - Now We're Ready To Spend (1981​/​91 Vox Low Remix) you need to stick with this, since it's a slow kindle but it fires right up and in many ways it's 8 minutes take you from post punk disco to post punk to minimal wave to acid and onward christian soldiers marching out to war. Original is a belter too with a killer bassline but I picked than when the single and then the elpee came out.

My Broken Frame - Black Lake (Vox Low remix) I'd previously heard a bit of My Broken Frame and flicked them aside but Vox Low somehow found something there and this is really good.

Unloved - Lee (Andy Votel & Jane Weaver Remix) woozily dunked in absinthe

My Autumn Empire - Garden Echoes gorgeous low lit dream pop spangle that spins it's web betwixt Bibio, an anglicised Gentleman Losers and The Durutti Column.

Trappist Afterland - Traps Of Gold recommend this elpee* to anyone into the more magick and mystik end of folk and it's a deserved tribute to a man who has done a lot to support a lot of interesting artists.

*Moongazing Hare and Trappist Afterland sing songs for Nathan (Ford who ran The Active Listener, which even with it's shutter drawn for the last time is world looking into

Art of Memory Palace - Voiture Blanche Dans Le Noir brilliant facsimile of a theme song to an imaginary French Noir

Art of Memory Palace - Sleepwalkers Theme this band features an Idlewild and a Jane Weaver contributor.

Art of the Memory Palace - Waalhaven nice retrofuturistmotorikpop

I just got the new Art of Memory Palace which is good but the only song in the wild is Wretched Mortal which is possibly the least of them but still fine retrofuturistchamberpop

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 am
Jim Ghedi - Fortingall Yew I've stood next to the mighty tree this track is named after soaking up it's ancientness and wondering what it's seen in the 3000 years it's lived (some say it could be 9000 years old). A mighty fingerpicked epic.

The John Mayer thread got me thinking about what makes a good guitarist, for me it's certainly not technique alone or even at all. I think it's essence is wanting to hear more of their music and that's about that, I can't be looking at guitar in isolation. When I heard Jim I wanted to hear more, of course he has technique but it's always bent in service of the tune and for me that's everything.
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am
Heard about the LP from which this is taken on the radio today. I'm not keen on K-Law's voice, but this one's got Karine Polwart carrying it, which helps it along a hundredfold.

'Underneath The Sycamore' by Kirsty Law and Karine Polwart
My friend and occasional bandmate was blown away by Karine Polwart and her tiny desk concert at NPR. She is the person that wrote the article! :)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:30 am

Beard In Dust - At The Dawn (faithful edit of Johnny Wakelin’s In Zaire that really just stretches it's legs) for some reason makes me want to get out in an old Land Rover with the roof off. The A side of Disco Hamman 5. It would be easy to get a bit snooty about this since it's a well known song and a baw hair from a novelty hit but like Madeleine Chartrand - Ani Kuni it's good enough to defy gravity. Her follow up is cool too but not Ani Kuni level cool in a more acid rock nursery rhyme way Madeleine Chartrand - J'ai Du Bon Tabac .

Oh and btw Floorshow totally reminds me of in zaire.

D

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:31 am

Viktor Wilhelmsen's new album is killer. I found him by chance as one of my favorite drummers, Kenneth Kapstad, plays on it.
song of the day: Viktor Wilhelmsen - Vanvittige Bilda

too bad i don't speak norwegian and understand any of it. :D

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 am

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:30 am

Tzusing - 4 Floors of Whores certainly lowering the tone after the crafted musicianship posted by BlixaFan but hey ho...

Mehmet Aslan - Alysha Dischi Autunno are releasing some great stuff and this slice of sand dune heat haze guitar and rosewater funk is one of them.

D

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 pm

not even lying. i love this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXnJqYwebF8
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 am

Cardinal & Nun- I Met The Devil Oh LOVE this impure slice of broken kneed guttersynth thats shivering with Suicide, Screamers, DAF, Din a Testbild and Joy Divison fed through a broken Bontempi.

D