HALP! static issue on my jag whenever my fingers touch the pickguard

For help with setups and other technical issues.
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

HALP! static issue on my jag whenever my fingers touch the pickguard

Post by panoramic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:35 pm

static issue on my cij jag whenever my fingers touch the pickguard, which is rather irritating because i tend to rest my fingers on it a lot. Likely a grounding issue but i've been having trouble sorting it out, any of you ever have a similar issue and how did you resolve it?
For reference I rewired the entire thing a couple of times now and the PUPS are avri's from like 2006 or so, i used vintage spec wiring yada yada
the static thing came and went away for a period but it's been back a while now, maybe i knocked something loose in there, one other thing of note the input is original and so are the switches and capacitors though i bought replacements but for some reason balked on yanking the originals when i did the first rewire.
I shielded the thing a ton in the cavity and the pickguard, maybe i missed something
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: HALP! static issue on my jag whenever my fingers touch the pickguard

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:28 pm

You probably just need to hit it (the guard) with an anti-static dryer sheet. Should be able to find them in the laundry aisle at the supermarket
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 am

Clean the pickguard and then rub the dryer sheet on it. If you don't regularly use them, look for the camping-type small packs. I'd go with unscented too. The fragrances on those things is overpowering even on the residue on clothes a week later.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:12 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:28 pm
You probably just need to hit it (the guard) with an anti-static dryer sheet. Should be able to find them in the laundry aisle at the supermarket
you know what, i'll give it a shot what can it hurt. I'll get back to ya'll later. This has been going on forever though

Todd Connelly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Todd Connelly » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:33 am

I wonder, what did you use to shield the back of the pick guard with? And did you cover the entire thing? I had the same issue with my VM JM and I shielded it with the Self adhesive copper shielding tape from Stew Mac. It has adhesive that is conductive. I think making sure that the adhesive you use is conductive is key. As well as making sure the shielding has a good connection to ground. The plastic pick guard material doesn't conduct electricity that's why it develops a static charge in the first place. So it needs all the help it can get to drain that charge away. Just having the shielding in close proximity doesn't do the job. Good luck with it!

Cheers...................................Todd

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:36 am

Todd Connelly wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:33 am
I wonder, what did you use to shield the back of the pick guard with? And did you cover the entire thing? I had the same issue with my VM JM and I shielded it with the Self adhesive copper shielding tape from Stew Mac. It has adhesive that is conductive. I think making sure that the adhesive you use is conductive is key. As well as making sure the shielding has a good connection to ground. The plastic pick guard material doesn't conduct electricity that's why it develops a static charge in the first place. So it needs all the help it can get to drain that charge away. Just having the shielding in close proximity doesn't do the job. Good luck with it!

Cheers...................................Todd
I used copper shielding tape as well, i'll give it a look later to make sure i covered it all, i don't know as I did that like 6 years ago when i used to be cool and have spare time. Now it's always a rush for me. I'll try to tear it apart this weekend and see what's up/ I'll post pics of the guts then and see if anyone notes anything off about it. It needs to be restrung anyway and i need to adjust the trem collet

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 am

still there

bjornsynneby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bjornsynneby » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:42 pm

It seems to me that you have a bad ground connection somewhere. Maybe a disconnected solder joint. To find this joint you should use a multimeter and check for continuity in the ground system of your guitar. The multimeter measures resistance between two points and if this resistance is below some value there is continuity in the connection. Check the ground connection from the shielding at the backside of your pickguard to the output ground first.