Fender Alternate Reality Sixty-Six

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Alternate Reality Sixty-Six

Post by Embenny » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:48 am

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 am

I just think that's the perfect illustration how there's loads of fucks on youtube with no knowledge or charisma to speak off with huge online followings. I mean that pair can't even choose a decent pair of trousers, which to be fair is a hurdle that's too high for all the demodudes.

I'd put them roughly at the level of the sort of cunt that comes up to you in the street when you are parking a beautiful, interesting or exotic car and tells you all the things that are wrong with it, while in reality having no experience of anything beyond a white goods shitebox I'd not drive in a burka (oh and having all the sartorial pzazz of someone whose elderly mother buys their clothes for them in the supermarket).

D
Have I ever told you how much I love your burns? I'm not joking, I think every time you tear someone down you do so in a way that makes me crack a smile. That bit about the sartorial pizzazz at the end was gold.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:54 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:57 am
sunburster wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:10 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm

Also, he's insufferable, and if there were any justice in this world, a grand piano would land on him, making a discordant noise far more pleasant than any he ever made himself, killing him. Then a safe would land on top of that for good measure.
Come on. I don't like the guy either but I don't daydream about ways in which I'd like him to be killed. That's messed up.
watch this and see if you still think that's messed up
As much as it's hilarious how out of touch both of them are, neither of them are actually Chappers.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:10 am

^^^

That's good!

Maybe Chappers got stuck in a culvert after his gumball rolled in there or something.
This is an excellent rectangle

AstroGhast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AstroGhast » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:45 am
Yeah, they do a fantastic job of being terrible. I also hate the absolute futility that looking for informative gear videos almost invariably involves thanks to everyone trying to show off their noodling abilities instead of giving the equipment in question the kind of input that will result in having some kind of idea how it actually sounds.

And no matter how many times I tell youtube "I am not interested in videos from this channel: Anderton's music", one shows up and before I realize it's from anderton's, I've clicked it and that human boil Chappers' hairy ass of a face is all over my feed for a month.
Good gear reviews/channels are very difficult to find. People either want to blather on and showcase their 'personality' or they don't do the gear any justice.

A good comedian knows/plays to their audience. I feel gear reviewers should do the same. I have a bone to pick particularly with Mark from N'Stuff Music. You watch the guy demonstrate a Dean ML or some sort of metal guitar and the wanker is playing jazz licks on it through a bone dry Fender Twin. Yeah, cause that's what people are going to be playing with that guitar... Every single one of his reviews, regardless of the guitar he's playing... Clean experimental jazz ramblings. Hate it.

I know he gets a lot of praise, but Andy from PGS, he's with Reverb now I believe, is absolutely great at what he does. Paul from Guitar World is pretty good too, though he takes a lot of flak for his picking technique.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:04 am

Andy is the only person I find at all very inspiring, although I really liked Scott Grove also. People hate the guy because he's a dick, but who am I to judge that anyway, but he has a good amount of knowledge about guitars and is not beholden to any orthodoxy about any of it.

Like, he'll freely say that Japanese Fenders are superior to the actual vintage ones- you agree, you don't agree, that's up to you, but at least he's not just some slave to the "old is better" mentality that rules the guitar world. He also spends a lot of time with Norlin instruments, and that actually taught me a lot about those and what makes them great guitars in their own way. They are usually just written off as junk and a mistake, but that's not true at all, and some of the models like the S-1 and the Marauder are fresh and original designs that really accomplish what the designers set out to do.

Plus, Scott Grove plays clean for the most part. That makes all the difference to me, because I can't evaluate what a guitar sounds like if it's run through a distortion pedal, can I? So many people make that mistake- then again, a lot of guitars genuinely sound very bad when played clean, so if you want to demonstrate anything useful about them you need to slather them up with effects.

To put it into terms that David might like, it's kind of like if a car salesman was demonstrating how good a car was by driving is past you at a super high speed instead of letting you actually sit in it and drive it yourself.

Andy, though, he just plays the music that the guitars were used for, give him a Telecaster and he'll play Clash City Rockers or something. I think that's pretty cool.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:10 am

I didn't really watch that, but I did click on the end where Lee (?) was trying to play some kind of solo or something on the Jaguar, and that could really be used to illustrate better than anything I've seen in a while that The Jaguar Is Not Just Another Fender Guitar And You Need To Learn How To Use It For What It Is And Not Subject People To You Trying To Force It To Be What It Is Not.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 am

Well, I just wanted to make fun of the Chapman Stick and how bland and boring this futuristic instrument often sounds, and here we are.
TBH, the only guitar YouTuber I care about is Joe Gore.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:24 am

Yeah, I mean, no one is advocating for the Chapman stick around here- awful. I hate "Elephant Talk" and can't imagine what kind of pretentious asshole would try to persuade people that he enjoyed such clearly unenjoyable music.

I wonder about how anyone could say that this "Sixty-Six" guitar isn't just a bunch of Fender parts slapped together... I mean, what has been designed expressly for this instrument? What is new here? What am I missing?

AstroGhast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AstroGhast » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:12 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:24 am
Yeah, I mean, no one is advocating for the Chapman stick around here- awful. I hate "Elephant Talk" and can't imagine what kind of pretentious asshole would try to persuade people that he enjoyed such clearly unenjoyable music.

I wonder about how anyone could say that this "Sixty-Six" guitar isn't just a bunch of Fender parts slapped together... I mean, what has been designed expressly for this instrument? What is new here? What am I missing?
It is essentially parts from other models brought together. I personally think it's the combination of parts and the way they were brought together that makes it a cool model.

But what are a lot of Fender guitars if not modelled after ones before them? How different looking are a P Bass and a Strat, design wise? The Jaguar was based on "improvements" over the Jazzmaster. The Mustang and the Duo-sonic?

Different people look for different things. I personally like a lot about Fender guitars; the chrome, the trems, the body designs, etc. So when Fender introduces something which is essentially a variant of other pieces and parts I know and love, but in a new yet familiar looking design, I like it. I personally am not looking for innovation. If I were I suppose I would be playing PRS, Steinberger, or Ibanez.

And ultimately let's not forget that Fender marketed this line and the Parallel Universe line as "Hybrid models" and used the terminology "What if". And that's exactly what these models are. "What if you mixed ----- with -----?"

One may find the concept intellectually lazy on Fender's part. But Fender isn't doing this and claiming it's innovation or anything cutting edge. That clearly isn't the intention. It's just "what if we mixed some of the things people like about our different models."

At the end of the day, you just can't please all of the people all of the time. I, for one, am pleased with some of these models.

I'll tell you what I don't care for. Rehashings of Stratocasters and Telecasters. "Well this one we gave a 12" radius and hot pickups." Great... another Stratocaster...

Sorry Strat fans. I like them, but it gets old.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:09 am

Flurko wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 am
Well, I just wanted to make fun of the Chapman Stick and how bland and boring this futuristic instrument often sounds, and here we are.
Jhonn Balance played one in Coil, Coil are pretty far up from bland, they are to me the very apogee of music. To be honest I've never found any correlation between cool guitars and great music, I mean Cosey Fanni Tutti plays one of those Hohner knockoffs of a Steinberger cricket bat and she's still a billion times cooler and more relevant than some dullard vintage gear guitar daddy like Joe Bonamassa who could live to a million and never produce anything of even cursory interest.

D
mbene085 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:48 am
shadowplay wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 am

I just think that's the perfect illustration how there's loads of fucks on youtube with no knowledge or charisma to speak off with huge online followings. I mean that pair can't even choose a decent pair of trousers, which to be fair is a hurdle that's too high for all the demodudes.

I'd put them roughly at the level of the sort of cunt that comes up to you in the street when you are parking a beautiful, interesting or exotic car and tells you all the things that are wrong with it, while in reality having no experience of anything beyond a white goods shitebox I'd not drive in a burka (oh and having all the sartorial pzazz of someone whose elderly mother buys their clothes for them in the supermarket).

D
Have I ever told you how much I love your burns? I'm not joking, I think every time you tear someone down you do so in a way that makes me crack a smile. That bit about the sartorial pizzazz at the end was gold.
That is nice of you to say, god knows how I spelt pizzazz with no i. I struggle to make any meaningful contribution round here having bought all the guitars I'm very going to buy and generally posting about music and cars most folk don't like.

I did consider joining a Lancia forum but get this...they wouldn't have me and I got a rejection email, which I must say made me feel good. Folk into cars are boring anyway.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:38 am

AstroGhast wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 am
I know he gets a lot of praise, but Andy from PGS, he's with Reverb now I believe, is absolutely great at what he does. Paul from Guitar World is pretty good too, though he takes a lot of flak for his picking technique.
I think Andy's a great reviewer. He shows off whatever he's reviewing rather than his skills, plus he doesn't talk too much. Brett Kingman's alright too, even though he rarely reviews something I'm interested in. His Night Wire review pretty much sold that pedal to me.

Anyway, back to the sixty-six. I don't care for it.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm

^^^

Yeah, Burgs is pretty good. I agree he doesn't usually review interesting stuff, but sometimes he does and he always plays to the effect instead of playing bullshit. If it's another dirt box, he'll play a bit of bullshit, but whatever.

There's also the fuzzbox girl, who plays the same riffs through every pedal, which is a reasonable if pedestrian approach. Her whole schtick is kinda ugh, though.

I never got into scott grove, I guess because I don't feel the need to have my own apostasy about guitar tone "truths" validated, but he's clearly not one to mince words or give a fuck what people think, which is cool. I'm glad he is (or was) out there telling people that fretboard wood makes no difference in sound because it's the metal fret that the string vibrates against.
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:02 pm

He's also the person who once articulated how bad the Tune-o-matic bridge was, and all of a sudden I was like, shit. This thing really does suck... it's nice I don't have to pretend it's any good anymore.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:16 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 am
The point is that sculptors and painters have had a broadening array of tools and materials with which to express themselves. In the electric guitar world, the big innovation has been in amplification, but even then, it's been a race to see who can digitally recreate the technology of 1950-1970 the most faithfully - not who can create new sounds. There's no Vantablack of the electric guitar world.
Worth noting that you're comparing visual art in general to a specific niche of guitar.

In the realm of visual arts, there are certainly sectors that are not forward looking - digital photography attempting to mimic the feel of film, outright rejection of digital in favor of film, cinema being concerned with the look of classic film rather than embracing a digital video aesthetic, screenprinting and letterpress, etc. etc..

Even in the traditional painting/sculpture, conceptual art about the level of blackness is extremely niche. Most are still using canvas and acrylic or oil or casting bronze or whatever.

Likewise, there are forward looking areas of music that have embraced the 'broadening array of tools and materials.' Just not guitar rock.

AstroGhast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by AstroGhast » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:49 pm

wooderson wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:16 pm
Likewise, there are forward looking areas of music that have embraced the 'broadening array of tools and materials.' Just not guitar rock.
It seems to me a lot of what is new and innovative in the music gear world is actually trying to play catch-up when it comes to chasing the analog dragon. Plugins, Kempers, synths, etc.

However, Roland unapologetically presses forward in their attempt to digitize the audio world. Sometimes to great success.