Thunderstruck by the Jazzmaster

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Thunderstruck by the Jazzmaster

Post by NewKId » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:03 pm

I have only had Teles in my life since I was 13...until this Wednesday when I bought my first Jazzmaster online.

I chose a black Classic Player Jazzmaster as my first JM investment. The darkest Pau Ferro fretboard I ever saw on a JM put me over the top. It looked like a rosewood board slipped through the Fender QC department. Many thanks to Sweetwater for showing several of the same model for sale. This dark fretboard really popped out. I will attach pictures when I get the guitar next week.

Yesterday, I went to Guitar Center to play the CP Jazzmaster for the first time - yes after I bought the guitar already. I loved it!

Since I had only done one afternoon of research before buying this CP Jazzmaster I didn't know about the AOM bridge and vibrato placement issues some folks here have with those features. I thought the guitar played great, looked great, and I'm very excited to spend lots of time with it. I've never used a tremolo being a Tele player so that will be a fun exploration.

Playing that Jazzmaster felt like home for me. I can't believe this guitar had never entered my consciousness before. Better late than never right? I'm glad this Jazzmaster community exists and have enjoyed reading many posts today. Cheers to everyone, I'm very happy to read your stories.
Take a vacation...from your problems - Dr. Leo Marvin, auhor of Baby Steps

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thunderstruck by the Jazzmaster

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Congratulations! That's how I felt when I played my first one too, I felt like I had come home to something I had always suspected was out there but didn't quite know where it was.

Welcome to the forum!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Thanks Larry,

I've enjoyed several of your posts already. So nice that you're the first to welcome me here. We lived in St Louis when Mark McGwire broke the home run record for a season in 1998. What a great year. My youngest daughter was born in Creve Coeur. She's 21 now. We also lived in Kirkwood.

We're in Seattle now and enjoying the Pacific Norwthwest.

Cheers,
Don

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Dude! I had that experience moving from a strat to a jag, and then the av65 JM jumped it all up to another level.

I have never played such a comfy guitar! And I notice my playing is better too!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:46 pm

You know how some people go on about how they wish they could see a movie for the first time again, like the Usual Suspects or the Sixth Sense?

I feel like that about discovering offsets. I'm envious that you got to play a Jazzmaster for the first time. You never forget your first!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:27 pm

NewKId wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:09 pm
Thanks Larry,

I've enjoyed several of your posts already. So nice that you're the first to welcome me here. We lived in St Louis when Mark McGwire broke the home run record for a season in 1998. What a great year. My youngest daughter was born in Creve Coeur. She's 21 now. We also lived in Kirkwood.

We're in Seattle now and enjoying the Pacific Norwthwest.

Cheers,
Don
Hey, there you go, Don! I used to live in Kirkwood myself back in the day, off of Geyer road, and I worked at Two Nice Guys for a while if you remember that joint, they'd been there since forever.

I grew up in Olivette primarily, so right next to Creve Coeur. The place I got my first Jazzmaster was Metro Music in Brentwood, which moved to Maplewood and became Eddie's Guitars, fairly well known from their internet presence.

I'm throwing a lot of St. Louis at you but it's a big little town so you never know. Welcome again!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:24 pm

Welcome to offsets and welcome to the board. It's a great community here and only made better by how awesome the thing we all love is.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 am

Hi Don! Hope the snow's not ruining anything for you.

I think you'll find that the tremolo placement question is more a matter of traditionalist fussing than practicalities, but ymmv. I actually *like* the updated trem placement. And if the AOM cramps your style, that's an easy fix. Glad you found a guitar that "just fits". Welcome aboard!

You'll also notice that telecasters are extremely popular around here...
This is an excellent rectangle

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 am
Hi Don! Hope the snow's not ruining anything for you.

I think you'll find that the tremolo placement question is more a matter of traditionalist fussing than practicalities, but ymmv. I actually *like* the updated trem placement. And if the AOM cramps your style, that's an easy fix. Glad you found a guitar that "just fits". Welcome aboard!

You'll also notice that telecasters are extremely popular around here...
My wife loves the snow. Me not so much. We have about a foot so far with several more days of snow ahead! It feels like Minneapolis all over again.

I've been playing my Tele all weekend and I think my CP Jazzmaster delivery will be several days later than scheduled. Its supposed to get here on Wednesday from Sweetwater in Indiana.

I agree with you and I think I will like the AOM bridge and trem placement just fine. I already made myself crazy by mapping out $800 worth of potential mods. But I'm going to live with the stock setup for a while and just play the hell out of this new guitar. Cheers!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Welcome to the clubhouse, Don!

Be careful with that modding impulse... :ph34r:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:24 pm

I just figured out how to post pictures. Here's my new Classic Player Jazzmaster with its dark Pau Ferro fretboard. FedEx ground delivery is scheduled for this Wednesday 2/13/19 snow-willing.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Hard to wait!

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi Larry, I just read your 2013 GearPage post about how you encountered your CAR MIJ JM. Great story and very inspiring how you gifted that treasure to your friend.

I’ve only had my CPJM a couple of weeks so I’m still figuring it out. It seems like the fretboard is a bit longer than my Tele so it feels more spacious for my fingers.

I’m loving all the clean tones I get out of this guitar as I mainly play fingerstyle Jazz.

But most of all I feel very satisfied and content with my Jazzmaster. The more I play it the more I feel like I found my instrument. There’s nothing I would change about it.

Cheers,
Don

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 pm

NewKId wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 pm
Hi Larry, I just read your 2013 GearPage post about how you encountered your CAR MIJ JM. Great story and very inspiring how you gifted that treasure to your friend.

Don
Well, Don, I ended up getting that guitar back. So I gave it to Raphael in a fit of generosity, then I regretted it, but what can you do. But, he needed some money one day and kind of persuaded me into buying an MIJ Mustang from him, and it isn't hard for me to be persuaded to buy a guitar. I took it all apart and rebuilt it over the course of a year or so with better electronics and tuners and such, and shielded it all, and the day I finally got that project all together I happened to take a call from him and I mentioned that I had just wired it all together earlier that morning.

He told me that he missed that guitar every day and did I want to trade it back for the Jazzmaster, and I totally did. That was enough of that... I won't give it away again until I die.

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Oh, what a great ending to the story! Thanks for sharing that Larry.