Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:15 am

It's not really in this genre as it's framed in this thread but Lia Mice - The Sampler As A Time Machine album might have caught the attention of Mark Fisher were he still with us. It's a sort of Fairlight fourth world retrofuturism. I hear Plaid, Japan/Sylvian, Jon Hassell, Gazelle Twin, Kate Wax, crisp coldwave, Autechre, gilded with smeared and drifting metholated head girl/priestess vocals.

Time for only one? It's all Connected.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:07 am

Sticking this in here more for the imagery and also because I might appeal to folk that like stuff like Shapwick (Brooks is mastering). My eye was basically drawn in by the MG Magnette on the cover of Sodium Party and then I noticed that Aftermath had what looked like a BMW Neue Klasse dash on the cover.

I've bought a couple of elpees and a tape on Spun Out Of Control and perhaps there's a small chance someone on here might like them.

First up is Steve Nolan's score to Irish horror film Sodium Party which I've not seen. I really like this quite delicate piano led soundtrack which is being compared to Angelo Badalamenti but for me it's quite reminiscent of the more contemplative side of In the Nursery and also keeps reminding me of Agnes Obel with it's slow vowel cello.

Next in line isCorrelations - Aftermath which on first glance is in the Carpenter vein but I think it's got a delicacy that pulls it ahead of most folk out ploughing those VCR fields.

And finally the Tape only :( The Infernal Machine by Stefan Bachmeier which is the closest to this genre and very possibly of interest to folk who like The Heartwood Institute and The Advisory Circle.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:50 pm

^Those are some cool mood music albums! I'm not sure I'd fork over the cash for them, but they've certainly helped me get though my work day. :)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:50 am

Been a bit quiet in here and I've been a little lacking in motivation but here goes..

I was waiting for someone else to post this but Jacco Gardner has a newish album out called Somnium which is all instrumental and a must for fans of pastoral and baroque psychedelia, library music, Italian soundtracks and even modern stuff like Hampshire and Foat. It's also got an interesting almost Advisory Circle sheen to it and the shadows of those 70's pioneering ascendants with a much larger portion of analogue synthesis than previous Gardner releases.

Blurb
Somnium is a nod to the novel of the same name, written in 1608 by Johannes Kepler and is regarded as the first ever science fiction novel. “This book fascinates me because it was basically Kepler travelling in his mind to a non-existent world while describing it, and his journey, with amazing detail. Many of his imagined sensations are actually really what happens when one travels into space, which happened almost four hundred years later. You could call it a vision of the future through his dreams, and I find this aspect very mysterious and powerful.”

This form of mind travel is what Jacco has set out to create in a sonic, almost alchemic, capacity. Hence the reason for his vocals to be left out of this spiritual journey. “I deliberately removed my voice from the experience, as it made it more difficult for me to achieve the intended state of mind. I think it makes the journey more interesting, more deep, and more intimate. I didn’t feel the need to show my face while one drifts away into thought. Somnium is a visionary experience. The album is more than just a trip, it is about contact with a deeper - hidden - reality.”

If the concepts behind this record sound otherworldly and intricately woven then Jacco has also succeeded in making a record that does the same. Analogue synths hum and glide pristinely, bass lines dance buoyantly, dense atmospheres build and form and thoughtfully crafted melodies come and go, floating around as though in space. There are nods to early pioneers of such dreamlike ambience and cosmic exploration - Bo Hansson, Vangelis, Cluster, Tangerine Dream, Eno and Oldfield (the album was mastered by Simon Heyworth whose production credits include the latter three, including Tubular Bells) - but it also exists as a futuristic pursuit, one that is chasing something ahead as well as exploring the past. This is because to Jacco both are equally valid. “The past has always felt very much alive to me and so full of mystery that I have to conclude that the present and the future are probably no different.”

Now living in Lisbon and immersed in literature, cinema, philosophy and with new winding streets to wander, Gardner's ideal listening scenario is to take the album for a walk yourselves, consume it complete and without interruption. “Somnium could be seen as a tribute to the album, a dying format in today’s fast-paced society. It can often be difficult to enjoy a meaningful uninterrupted moment. This album is where true mystery and wonder is waiting to be discovered.”
Really like it but sort of forgot I bought it but had it on today when I was wielding a paring knife and peeler when preparing the Sunday dinner and I would wholeheartedly recommended it for all your vegetable preparation sound tracking needs. Less filled with obvious banging tunes than Hypnophobia but a great album listen.

Jacco Gardner - Somnium full stream in YouTube

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:52 am

^ Sounding good so far!

Speaking of futuristic instrumentals, this dropped into my inbox the other day:

浪漫的夢想 ['ROMANTIC DREAM'] by HONG KONG EXPRESS

It's by the guy who runs the label that put out the Rain Temple album you mentioned a while back. It might have slipped past you as I think it's digital/cassette only.

My Christmas present to myself was the Year In The Country book, which I'm making my way through slowly and is definitely in the spirit of this thread. My wife was given the Bagpuss soundtrack which went down very well.

Oh, I also bought the digital version of the Hospice soundtrack recommended upthread and it is nicely distilled weirdness.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:10 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:52 am

Speaking of futuristic instrumentals, this dropped into my inbox the other day:

浪漫的夢想 ['ROMANTIC DREAM'] by HONG KONG EXPRESS

It's by the guy who runs the label that put out the Rain Temple album you mentioned a while back. It might have slipped past you as I think it's digital/cassette only.
Thanks for that tip, the lady of the house particularly likes it.

I'm really grateful for any digital only pointers, I'm terrible for missing music that doesn't come on vinyl. I need to pay much more attention to the zeros and ones.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 am

I wonder if I might point folk in the direction of Keith Seatman & Douglas E Powell (Featuring Belbury Poly) - Broken Folk 10". I really like it, I bought it for the Belbury Poly remix but I think I like it better unmixed. The singing reminds me of a hybrid between Jon Foxx and Paul Webb and overall it's a good listen and flits between spangly gorgeousness and a kinda post punk folk thing.

It's the second in the series of Belbury Music releases but I must warn folk who bought Jon Brooks - Applied Music Vol.2 - Plastics Today, that you don't get a download card with this one, though after thinking about this I've fired off an email to them to ask if there's some sort of error. You can buy it at the Ghost Box greedbag.

Keith Seatman & Douglas E Powell (Featuring Belbury Poly) - Broken Folk bandcamp stream and digital purchase.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:32 am

Just bought it.

Not too worried about the download card - I've got 2-3 years worth that I haven't downloaded!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:49 am

NickD wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:32 am
Just bought it.

Not too worried about the download card - I've got 2-3 years worth that I haven't downloaded!
Cool, it's really good, to be honest I'm surprised it's not sold out.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 am

The A Year In The Country: Wandering Through Spectral Fields book

10. The Wicker Man: Notes on a Cultural Behemoth
Working my way through this slowly, and my mind has just been blown by the discovery that Diane Cilento who acted in The Wicker Man and married its scriptwriter was the daughter of the Australian doctor Phyllis Cilento who the children's hospital in Brisbane was temporarily named after.

Further mind-blowing occurred when I discovered there is a lost Broadcast album: Mother Is The Milky Way. (You probably already all knew that.)

This book is a damn good read and very wide-ranging - one minute it's Broadcast, obscure horror film soundtracks and 1960s British children's TV shows; the next it's the Sneaker Pimps and Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:44 am

mezcalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 pm
shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 am

The A Year In The Country: Wandering Through Spectral Fields book

10. The Wicker Man: Notes on a Cultural Behemoth
Working my way through this slowly, and my mind has just been blown by the discovery that Diane Cilento who acted in The Wicker Man and married its scriptwriter was the daughter of the Australian doctor Phyllis Cilento who the children's hospital in Brisbane was temporarily named after.

Further mind-blowing occurred when I discovered there is a lost Broadcast album: Mother Is The Milky Way. (You probably already all knew that.)

This book is a damn good read and very wide-ranging - one minute it's Broadcast, obscure horror film soundtracks and 1960s British children's TV shows; the next it's the Sneaker Pimps and Frankie Goes To Hollywood.
Yeah, it's a very good read. It's been appreciated particularly by the kids who've been catching up on Sapphire and Steel and the like.

I knew about Mother is the Milky Way, it's a tour CD, more a mini album and quite close in style to 'Witch Cults'.

Btw I've really been enjoying playing the Keith Seatman EP I linked a floor up, I had a couple of his CD's and alse took the chance to catch up on one I'd missed.

Weirdly I have a cassete and a couple of records by Keiths old band Psylons who I discovered through a flyer inside the CRANES Self Non Self.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:27 am

The new Pye Corner Audio elpee Hollow Earth has been getting a lot of play over the last few days. It's a sequel to Stasis and I'm very much enjoying it, as is Lady Shadowplay in particular since it's skirting the fringes of her pining for a new Boards of Canada reord.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:44 am
Btw I've really been enjoying playing the Keith Seatman EP I linked a floor up, I had a couple of his CD's and alse took the chance to catch up on one I'd missed.
Yeah, I just got that and it's shaping up nicely. I'll pick up the Pye Audio one as well - I've been slowly buying another Black Mill Tape volume every time I make a Bandcamp purchase.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:56 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:27 am
The new Pye Corner Audio elpee Hollow Earth has been getting a lot of play over the last few days. It's a sequel to Stasis and I'm very much enjoying it, as is Lady Shadowplay in particular since it's skirting the fringes of her pining for a new Boards of Canada reord.

D
Checked out their discography today, it made working on Saturday not suck as much.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 pm

New/re-imagined Jane Weaver approaches:

Loops In The Secret Society | Jane Weaver