Ron Thorn Namm Creations

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ron Thorn Namm Creations

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:54 am

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see new Fender designs that I actually like and having a dialogue with the designer himself. What a wonderful thing it is and you kind of wish it could be like this every day.

I wish you all the best with Fender, Ron!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Add me to the list of people who would buy a california special if there was a USA production run.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Ron Thorn wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:43 am
Thanks for the comments, too!
Ron
It's very cool that people at Fender are here and (if the latest NAMM is anything to go by) paying attention to what we want!

I'm not going to make an specific requests other than that the powers that be continue to keep an eye on this forum and what's general popular/called for. If that happens, I think the future of Fender offsets is bright.

Ron Thorn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ron Thorn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm

I’ve got to say, everyone I’ve worked with on various new projects is seemingly hip to what is desired currently. That may not always seem the case, especially when you’re breaking away from the norm, but a lot of effort is put into “give them what they want!”
Last week I was awarded an opportunity to design a new model for the Parallel Universe line up for next year....I’ll be paying attention, trust me :)

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm very jealous. I would love to have the pleasure of designing a custom Fender guitar!
Please steal my design ideas!

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Ron Thorn wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Last week I was awarded an opportunity to design a new model for the Parallel Universe line up for next year....I’ll be paying attention, trust me :)
Ron, don't listen too much, or you'll have to figure out how to make a Jazzmaster in an offset Tele shape, with WideRange HBs, reverse headstock, brushed gold pickguard somewhat made of NOS celluloid tort, in sunburst Mary Kay Burgundy Mist transparent metallic, binding everywhere top and back, neck and (matching) headstock, with a neck-through, blocks on the fretboard (but still dots from 12th fret and onward) (which better be the historically-correct size and spacing), with a Jaguar switching system and an adjustable aluminum Mustang bridge with brass saddles.

:whistle:
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Ron Thorn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ron Thorn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Where’s the ❤️ button?!?!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Honestly, that 3-pickup CS would make an amazing Parallel Universe guitar. Just sayin' :whistle:
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:19 am

Ron Thorn wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:36 am
Fender has no “old” parts in stock. There’s a 5-year limit on anything kept on-hand that isn’t in production. It’s an inventory/write-off situation that is beyond me.
I found that tremolo on Reverb.com and paid full pop for it.
It will be the only Coronado that I build that features the tremolo, that is what makes that particular guitar my “Prestige” guitar for the show - These are never to be reproduced one-offs that each Master Builder creates.
I’m building additional Coronados, but they’ll all have trapezes and a modified post and cup for the J-bridge so that it doesn’t rock.

Thanks for asking.

Thanks for the education! I have other questions that I think a huge majority of the people here would appreciate, if you’d be at all generous enough to share the details with us :)

- So you bought the trem on reverb. Did you have to pay for it, and if so, do you get reimbursed for stuff like that?

- Is that type of thing typical, where if one of the Custom Shop guys wants to bring an idea to fruition, but it has old or rare appointments, or non-house made pickups or whatever, do you have to aquire the stuff yourself, or is a parts list or whatever gets submitted and they buy the stuff and hand it over?

Do you get assignments to make certain things or does someone tell you want to build typically? Is it as awesome as I’m
Imagining where there’s just a Giant parts/wood room and after you finish a guitar, you get to just come up with an idea and peruse said room to pick out whatever is there that you want to use?

I have all sorts of stuff I’m curious about but this stuff is the stuff I’d be most interested in knowing. Working for Fender doing absolutely anything they need is like my dream job. This is so awesome and exciting to me, being able to talk to a Custom Shop luthier.

Bonus question, if you have any idea that is: any idea why on the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar and Jazzmaster have the skunk stripe on the neck? I always thought those were for maple fretboards so it’s weird to see it on a rosewood-equipped neck.

Again, thank you. This is awesome.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:00 am

Ron Thorn wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm
I’ve got to say, everyone I’ve worked with on various new projects is seemingly hip to what is desired currently. That may not always seem the case, especially when you’re breaking away from the norm, but a lot of effort is put into “give them what they want!”
Looking forward to seeing it.

:)

Ron Thorn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ron Thorn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 am

Here goes, keeping in mind I’ve only been there less than a year:)

The Master Builders each have a company credit card to use for scenarios like that, or we send an email request with a link to our purchasing agent/buyer.
We often use outside vendors for pickups, such as Lollar, Novak, Bare Knuckle, etc.
I’m not sure if I’ve seen any vintage/NOS parts used lately.
I’ve donated a fair number of parts from my own stash for these past NAMM guitars, such as those cupcake knobs, the control plates on the CA Specials, the Brass Knuckles, the sterling silver, etc. Having built Thorn guitars for the past 18 years means I’ve probably got a lot more inventory than the other builders at home. No big deal at this stage, I just wanted cool guitars.
There is a huge parts department that I’ll often stroll through in hopes of familiarizing myself with where they’re kept and what’s available. For example, the control plate I used on my “Plain Jane” I simply stumbled across in a bin - drilled Volume / 3-way toggle / Tone.
I’d never seen that used on a Fender, what the heck - one more thing to be different. Someone at some point had it made, a few extras left behind.
The wood warehouse is amazing. If we see something we want to use for future builds we sign it out and stash it in a MB area under lock and key. An email is sent to us when ever something special is delivered, then it’s usually a mad sprint to get to it first. Chariots of Fire theme song playing on the PA ;)

The NAMM guitars are the only time we’re given free-reign to build anything we want.
The rest of the year we’re building out our orders sent in from dealers. Some are equally custom as the NAMM guitars, others fairly straight forward. I’m currently wrapping up an order for a Strat with a metal flake body, pinstriping, a Floyd, a Sustainer system, humbucker in the bridge, glow-in-the-dark inlays and matching headstock. After that, I’m working on a straight-up 54 Tele with a baseball bat neck.
Both ends of the spectrum there.

I hope that sheds a little light. We’re back to offering tours now, too.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:45 am

Super informative and awesome. Thanks for shedding some light!

Logrinn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Logrinn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 am

Ron, this is so cool. Love your design. It reminds me a little of the Sergio Vallin signature guitar from a few years back. I'm very intrigued by the dual single coils in the bridge position as well. What a cool concept.
My question for you is simply if you'll be doing something in the 24" scale length. Us with smaller hands long for more variety. A 24 fret would be nice. As fas as I know Brian Mays Red Special is the only 24" scale with 24 frets out there.
Looking forward to more of your excellent designs.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:49 am

Gordon wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 pm
figure out how to make a Jazzmaster in an offset Tele shape, with WideRange HBs, reverse headstock, brushed gold pickguard somewhat made of NOS celluloid tort, in sunburst Mary Kay Burgundy Mist transparent metallic, binding everywhere top and back, neck and (matching) headstock, with a neck-through, blocks on the fretboard (but still dots from 12th fret and onward) (which better be the historically-correct size and spacing), with a Jaguar switching system and an adjustable aluminum Mustang bridge with brass saddles.

YALCaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by YALCaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:55 pm

I really love the bridge. They should make them easier accessible to consumers who don’t wanna go the CS route.