Tape delay SHOW OFF thread

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tape delay SHOW OFF thread

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:50 am

OK so i'm sick and bored at home, i'll just be showing off some stuff that i've accumulated over the years. I'll have to stay indoors tomorrow, too, so maybe i'll even end up doing some demos? lemme know what interests you (to see/hear).

TAPE ECHOS

These two little ones use the "casette cartridge" kinda tape.

Monacor Echo Chamber ME-130, Japan
Monacor was apparently the European distributed gear name for the Univox brand - i have a bunch of their stuff (as you will see). Delay time on this one is rather short, but fully variable.

HI-MAX Echo Chamber, made by Kastam in Japan
Looks terrible (there are other brands, same thing, that look way cooler...), 6 different speeds to choose from, pretty cool.
For some reason, i have to place the unit upside down for it to work, otherwise the motor or something scratches the top surface. oh well.

EVANS ES-5 Super Echo, Japan
Amazing cheesy 70s looks! The "mode controller" actually is a slider with which you move the recording head.

WEM Watkins CopiCat , Mk III or IV, England.
Not the most sought-after or nicest looking unit, but pretty darn good sounding!

HH Multi Echo, England.
Being a huge fan of this old british brand (i play an V-S Musician head into a 4x12 at rehearsal, and own 2 IC100 2x12 combos) and tape delays, i had to pick this up when it popped up close to me. THE DUB MACHINE. I still need to make a new tape for it, but don't know how long it has to be. And then really sit down with it, as it is a very unique machine - it has the push-buttons with pre-set delay times and effects, which are like the 2nd half of positions on the Roland Space Echo, kinda ping-pong-ish stuff with weird sound patterns.
The "echo" part are different kinds of slapback, the "repeat" are longer delays/effects, which get applied to the previous signal.

...and i still have my old "croc" RE-201 Roland in Mexico at my brother's. I plan on bringing it with me when i'm over there again in April. It runs on 110v but hey, i have a step-down tranny here anyway, for my Twin Reverb.

SO... mind sharing your tape delays? What's yer fav?
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tape delay SHOW OFF thread

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:13 am

Those are all awesome Pat!! I love the look of the Monacor Reverberation, but that WEM/Watkins Copicat is epic! Looks totally Science-Fiction-y in just the right ways!! Personally, I'd love to hear all of them, but I love hearing demos :D ;D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 am

I just have a run of the mill Roland Chorus Echo. I traded in a Space Echo to get the extra features that I thought I needed at the time. Turns out I didn't and I should have kept the Space Echo. I would probably have an Echoplex too, but even back in the day they were expensive.

Binson, Korg and WEM, I have seen a few here and there, but pretty rare. The strange delays here were always Univox and Fender branded oil drum units.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am

Still have a Re201 (❤️❤️), but wish I’d held onto the re501 with quiet echoes and Paid to get it back in shape.
I also had a couple of the little Univox ones but they never worked right.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:40 pm

Roland RE-201 is the only dedicated actual tape delay I've ever had. I've hung onto it because it's tons of fun when it's working good, but it's too much trouble to take out of the house when I've got pedals that I like better.