I've finally seen the light... but I have a question

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Riptide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I've finally seen the light... but I have a question

Post by Riptide » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:19 am

I've been using a one spot power supply for as long as I can remember, but I finally upgraded to a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus because I picked up a big box EHX Holy Grail and it did NOT like sharing the power.

So now all my effects have never sounded so good... EXCEPT my dirt pedals. They all have a "fizzy" quality to them now, and some have volume issues as well. I made sure all the little dip switches where set to 9v and even so the SAG controls are all maxed out (which I'm assuming is a full 9v). What am I doing wrong?

The pedals I've tried so far are a ProCo Rat (LM whatever version), EHX Green Russian Muff RI, Dunlop Mini Silicon Fuzz Face. The JHS Moonshine, JHS Prestige and Ibanez TS808 don't seem to be effected really by the new power supply. I kind of have them all strung along the floor so I can figure out what I want to live on my board and in what order before putting the velcro on.

The only thing I can think of is just trying the same pedal with different outputs on the power supply to see if it just happens to like one more than another...
"Who ever controls the media controls the mind"
~Jim Morrison

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I've finally seen the light... but I have a question

Post by JVG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 am

I can't directly answer your question, but another option is to run dirt pedals off battery power (assuming they have that option), most of which have a fairly low current draw. This also frees up some of the pedal power terminals to use with other pedals ;)

Good luck with it!
J.

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 am

Riptide wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:19 am

So now all my effects have never sounded so good... EXCEPT my dirt pedals. They all have a "fizzy" quality to them now, and some have volume issues as well. I made sure all the little dip switches where set to 9v and even so the SAG controls are all maxed out (which I'm assuming is a full 9v). What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by Firecat on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 am

Do you have all 8 of the DIPs set to NORMAL ? (ie down)

If so SAG doesn't come into play and you should have 9v on every output. I would try that as the first option.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm

You could always just run the dirt pedals off of the One Spot, and plug it into the PP2 120 outlet.

Riptide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Riptide » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:19 am

So I ended up doing a couple of things.

First, I went through and found out the current draw of every pedal. From there I found out that the EQD Avalanche Run is a power hog and moved it to the wall wart it came with. That alone seemed to fix most of my problem, but I still went ahead and moved my dirt pedals onto the onespot and powered that off the auxiliary plug on the Pedal Power. Now everything seems to be working as it should be after some tweaking.

I think the biggest contributors to the problem I was experiencing was the Avalanche Run, the order I had the pedals in and the fact 90% of this gear is all new to me.

I've gone a good 4 years away from music. Keeping a homemade telemaster, a Roland cube someone left at my house and a few pedals to pluck around on. When I bought a Squier Bullet Mustang 3 months ago it kind of started a gear acquisition frenzy. I discovered Reverb and went poor quickly haha. Picked up a Silverface Champ, 10 pedals, the power supply, and a new pickup/wiring components for the telemaster
"Who ever controls the media controls the mind"
~Jim Morrison

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Yes, I've decided to use the wall warts for all of my pedals that can take voltages above 9v, and for anything that's a massive powerhog, it tends to let everything else work fine.

And you may already be aware of this, but also keep in mind that almost any of your germanium based fuzzes are primadonnas and all want to be first. Silicon typically isn't a problem, from what I've heard, ymmv. I'm just a germanium freak and don't have many/any silicon fuzzes, except maybe the Muff clone on the Loomer (?).
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.