What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:47 pm

That looks great!!! I love that vintage shaped guard. With the slightly dulled down finish, it's very reminiscent of the old TV finishes...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:56 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm into this thing for $175 now and I've got to say, I'm really enjoying it. It's featherweight, rock solid, and sounds really good with the factory pickups.
Beautiful! :w00t:

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks guys. It's no match for Perry's beauty on the previous page. But it's great for the price. I could see building a nicer one from scratch sometime down the road...
Doug
@dpcannafax

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Those are fun to play, always remind me of Johnny Thunders and his supercool tone :)

How's the Wilko aluminium wraparound? I had one made of zinc alloy that never felt quite right, but I might give this one a try...

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:16 am

epizootics wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 pm
Those are fun to play, always remind me of Johnny Thunders and his supercool tone :)

How's the Wilko aluminium wraparound? I had one made of zinc alloy that never felt quite right, but I might give this one a try...
This is my first guitar with a wraparound, so I'm not sure that I'm qualified to judge. But, it is certainly an improvement over the factory bridge - it feels more solid and is smoother under the hand and the tone is clear with tons of sustain.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Telemnemonics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Telemnemonics » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:57 am

epizootics wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:29 am
Hopefully this one will LEAVE my workbench soon...

I had yet to have a build where everything goes wrong...Well, that's the one. It also happens to be the first guitar someone asked me to make them (for money! :wtf: ). I spent the last couple of days working on this pickguard. Daaaaaaaaaaamn do I hate how hard stainless steel is. But how do I love the results. A purely masochistic material.
My customer decided he wanted it painted in the end, which is fine by me as that bookmatched walnut top never wanted to take any finish correctly. It really looks like a piece of furniture in real life...
I like this one!
Can you post a better pic of it?
How does it feel in playing position?
Have you made this shape before or is it a one off?
Did the customer end up satisfied?

will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by will » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:16 pm

...finally getting around to dowelling a bunch of worn screw holes.

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 am

Reluctantly building myself a pickup winder because I've got an almost dead Dynasonic which I really don't want to get lost in the post. Luckily I still have my old Meccano set. The motor is only from a PCB drill, but it's not like I need very much torque anyway. Just need to figure out some kind of counter, which will probably be the tried and tested calculator-and-reed-switch trick.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am

Squirrel wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 am

Reluctantly building myself a pickup winder because I've got an almost dead Dynasonic which I really don't want to get lost in the post. Luckily I still have my old Meccano set. The motor is only from a PCB drill, but it's not like I need very much torque anyway. Just need to figure out some kind of counter, which will probably be the tried and tested calculator-and-reed-switch trick.
sweet. if your looking for some bobbins to practice on, i have a set of jazzmaster bobbins that need rewound.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 am

Squirrel wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:35 am

The calculator-and-reed-switch way works, but it can be a royal PITA to set up correctly and will limit your winding speed to a few hundred RPMs. Depending on how often you want to wind pickups, I'd recommend a mechanical counter and timing pulleys/belt. You can find them for cheap on eBay (get NOS rather than Chinese, those are pretty bad) and they can handle fairly high speeds. PM me if you want specific references :) .

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am
sweet. if your looking for some bobbins to practice on, i have a set of jazzmaster bobbins that need rewound.
You know, I might take you up on that, but I have zero experience rewinding pickups so I wouldn't feel that great about practicing on other people's stuff right off the bat. I've got a dead Super Distortion in my junk pile that I'm going to try first, if I find I can actually do a decent job of it I'll let you know.
epizootics wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 am
The calculator-and-reed-switch way works, but it can be a royal PITA to set up correctly and will limit your winding speed to a few hundred RPMs. Depending on how often you want to wind pickups, I'd recommend a mechanical counter and timing pulleys/belt. You can find them for cheap on eBay (get NOS rather than Chinese, those are pretty bad) and they can handle fairly high speeds. PM me if you want specific references :) .
Yeah I've heard from a few different websites that it won't register properly over a certain RPM, but it's my first time rewinding a pickup so I'll be going hella slow anyway. At the moment I'm not planning on rewinding any other pickups after I'm done with the Dynasonic, but if I do end up rewinding stuff regularly I'll build a proper machine with a decent counter. Thanks for the tip about the mechanical counter though!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:22 am

Squirrel wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am
You know, I might take you up on that, but I have zero experience rewinding pickups so I wouldn't feel that great about practicing on other people's stuff right off the bat. I've got a dead Super Distortion in my junk pile that I'm going to try first, if I find I can actually do a decent job of it I'll let you know.
keep me updated on how it goes then.

p.s. i also have a few dead pickups in my spares draw if you want em to practice on and we can consider it payment if you decide you can do my 2 jazzmaster bobbins.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:34 am

I'm waiting on the finish shop for my green Jazzmaster body, and on good weather so I can carry on with the finish on my IBM JDR build.
Here's a thing that's been on my digital workbench (and soon to be on my physical workbench).

I've been trying to come up with my own "original" body shape for potential P90 and Filter-tron builds. This is inspired by LP Special single cuts, the Musicman St. Vincent, Gibson's experimental 50s shapes, and various guitars I've been seeing on Pinterest. The idea was to create a simple silhouette with no complex curves. The waist is offset 11 degrees. The general shape came from sketching over a JM outline that I printed out.

I'm planning on building a budget prototype (shown below) using as many on hand parts as possible. I have a poplar blank on the way and will do a basic wipe on poly finish. Pickguard will be laser cut dark grey tinted acrylic. Tele bridge pu and a Squier VM Jag pickup in the neck, with one of my 3d printed covers designed for pickguard mounting. The three slide switches will be Series/Parallel, Rhythm tone, and Strangle.

This should come together quick and cheap. If I'm happy with the shape, I'd like to do a super sparkly Gretsch inspired build.
Doug
@dpcannafax

verhoevenc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by verhoevenc » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:47 am

Just a little acoustic top making and a little 3D printer experimentation.
Top is for a "stage acoustic" (read: thin, fully hollowed 2" thick body with acoustic top on it) commision.

3D printer experiment is just to play with the idea of having a Jazzmaster and Jaguar pickup together under one cover and adding a switch to add the jaguar in series to make a humbucker. Aka: I got bored hahaha
Fit was a little tight on the JM side so I'll have to fix that. Otherwise it was perfect! I may also play with a version that allows for the jaguar's claw to still attach.

Lastly, if you haven't seen, I'm also giving away a Jazzmaster body with burl top here in a contest: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 8&t=111410

Best,
Chris
Luthier are Raygun Guitars

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:48 pm

There's still a little bit to do, but I'll be able to try it out soon.

Doug
@dpcannafax