The Synth Thread...

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by StevenO » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Hope it gets fixed up nice and quick, Maggie!

Welp, weird thing... I had been using my Juno as a midi keyboard for my Roland SH-01a so that I could have more of a full-range/multiple-octave control rather than the little mini Roland boutique keyboard I also have. Today I decided to use the Juno as intended and the weird problem I was dealing with a little while ago (almost no sound without the chorus on, and when the chorus was on it was heavily distorted). So... It works perfectly now. *shrug*

I am still wanting to get rid of my Moog Prodigy. It's a little too "raw" sounding for me and always sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison to the Model D and Rolands. I'm considering maybe getting a Arp Prodigy Module, the first edition-looking one in white. I'm not really sure what else I would need... If somebody wanted to trade me a Wurlitzer EP, I mean... I couldn't say no...

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:12 pm

StevenO wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:07 pm
Hope it gets fixed up nice and quick, Maggie!

Welp, weird thing... I had been using my Juno as a midi keyboard for my Roland SH-01a so that I could have more of a full-range/multiple-octave control rather than the little mini Roland boutique keyboard I also have. Today I decided to use the Juno as intended and the weird problem I was dealing with a little while ago (almost no sound without the chorus on, and when the chorus was on it was heavily distorted). So... It works perfectly now. *shrug*

I am still wanting to get rid of my Moog Prodigy. It's a little too "raw" sounding for me and always sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison to the Model D and Rolands. I'm considering maybe getting a Arp Prodigy Module, the first edition-looking one in white. I'm not really sure what else I would need... If somebody wanted to trade me a Wurlitzer EP, I mean... I couldn't say no...
Our current tastes/interests run eerily similar Steven. I spend most of my limited music time on the Juno 106, 626 drums and a Long & McQuade rented bass station II. My sights are on the behringer D, grandmother, boutique or behringer 101 if it ever materializes.

I mostly sit around on my own drinking cold glasses of beer late into the night and making imagined songs from Escape from New York or learning how to play the Neverending Story soundtrack. Can't play worth a fuck in terms of any real technique but I can noodle in a way that is pleasing to the ear and clumsily change chords.

The only real big wish I have is a Wurlitzer too.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:43 am

Yep! We're basically the same! I can't play keys worth a damn either, but having access to sequencers with midi and clock sync is incredibly useful. I usually program a simple drum beat on my Electribe 2, an interesting melody or chord (it has 4 note poly) structure on my SH-01A, a simple bass line on my Behringer Model D, and then over top of it I noodle on the Juno or Prodigy.

Like you, I love doing John Carpenter-style scores such as the Assault on Precinct 13 (dirty Moog bass and bank 2, patch 1.1 with the release high and bending the note with the bender) or Escape From New York. I also try to do stuff that sounds a bit disco-ish, because why not?

The Behringer model D is really, really good. I like that it also does a few things that an original Moog couldn't do. Midi, patch ability, hi pass filter, etc.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm

Aside from the updated Korg Minilogue and that new Elektron groovebox: any new synths for namm?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:23 pm

I haven't really kept up to date with new stuff because... Mortgage. But, Arturia released a pretty cool little synth, the Micro Freak. It's retailing in Canada for around $399. Might have to pull the trigger on one of those in the future, if nothing else that is cheap and interesting comes out.

https://www.moogaudio.com/en/arturia-microfreak

Still considering getting yet another Keystep as well, but we'll see about that.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:05 am

StevenO wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:23 pm
I haven't really kept up to date with new stuff because... Mortgage. But, Arturia released a pretty cool little synth, the Micro Freak. It's retailing in Canada for around $399. Might have to pull the trigger on one of those in the future, if nothing else that is cheap and interesting comes out.

Still considering getting yet another Keystep as well, but we'll see about that.
I am right there with you, my brother! Especially since I scored a Model D for $200. The keysptep is amazing.

The Micro Freak looks like loads of fun.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Oh, there's this new Behringer Crave synth. Maybe it's just me but I think it sounds incredibly boring: https://youtu.be/U0sI8DtxSPU

The new stylophone looks like a lot of fun but all the demoes I've seen only showcase very distorted and nasty sounds: https://youtu.be/a26vQDkcwBs I wonder if it can do nice as well?

Also Waldorf put out a new va synth with 10 oscillators per voice and 8 part multitimbrality which is kind of overkill but also awesome: https://youtu.be/DUviCAy6hmU

I'm absolutely not in the market for another synth, but the new Arturia looks like fun indeed.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Zork wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:33 pm
Oh, there's this new Behringer Crave synth. Maybe it's just me but I think it sounds incredibly boring: https://youtu.be/U0sI8DtxSPU
Hard to tell from two and a half minutes. I suspect the usefulness is really in its semi modularity and that it could be patched in to a larger setup.

The demo was a sonic bore though, for sure.
This is an excellent rectangle

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:47 pm

I'm a big fan of reverb on synths and, frankly, a lot of synths sound super boring without it. So I won't knock it until I try it. I will say, I love the compactness and yet usefulness of a lot of these synths that are coming out. No annoying banks and whatnot to go through. I'm a knob-turning/slider-pushing guy. if it doesn't have that, a yaaaaawn and a hard pass. Even my electric 2 will never get much use because while it's got knobs, it's control screen and bank-heavy.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:05 am
StevenO wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:23 pm

I am right there with you, my brother! Especially since I scored a Model D for $200. The keysptep is amazing.

The Micro Freak looks like loads of fun.
Oh yes, nice! I think you'll love the Model D and the Keystep is easily one of my favourite purchases

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:37 pm
Zork wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:33 pm
Hard to tell from two and a half minutes. I suspect the usefulness is really in its semi modularity and that it could be patched in to a larger setup.

The demo was a sonic bore though, for sure.
this was tedious without a doubt.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:11 am

When I've had a chance to play music, I've been primarily playing synths... Guitars have kind of gone by the wayside. No ambition to play or GAS for anything guitar-related. It would be nice to have someone who is also into synths to make some music with. Playing on my own, sequencing everything with midi, has been really nice and rewarding. More than guitar has, really, in a long time.

Hoping to pick up another Keystep and a bunch more midi cables when I can justify some spending. Also hoping to pick up some more stereo in/out pedals, like a delay, chorus, and phaser when some cheap ones come up for sale.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:49 am

I walked into the Moog factory store Saturday and spent an hour playing with a Grandmother and walked out with one. Did not want to be that impressed with it but I was. It is taking the role in my solo synth rig formerly held by a Mono Lancet, which will then replace my ailing Monotron for making fun atonal noises and drones. My current dilemma will be whether I keep using my Microbrute for simple sequenced bass and occasional melodies or instead use the Keystep/Model D combo I've also got. These days I've been feeling less the keyboard + module thing and more wanting to have it all in one box for simplicity's sake, less setup time at a show, and less space on a power strip. I'm pretty comfortable on the 'Brute but still learning my way around the Model D's architecture and really don't know my way around the Keystep at all yet. Luckily no one's got a gun to my head and the fate of the world does not hinge on making this decision immediately. These are good problems to have.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Well I'll never own anything like this ($$$$) but it sounds beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1le-af ... gs=pl%2Cwn

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:16 pm

StevenO wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:46 pm
Well I'll never own anything like this ($$$$) but it sounds beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1le-af ... gs=pl%2Cwn
Wow! :?

$3,749 is a bit out of my price range... :unsure:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.