Squier JM Jm advice

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier JM Jm advice

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 pm

I have a Squier Jm Jm that i got knowing there may be problems with it. there were finish cracks around the neck:

and evidence that it's been bashed:

i've had it for a couple of years...but it was "on loan" to a friend (bassist who wants to learn guitar). when i got it back, the action was unusually high and i figured that those finish cracks were something more serious. i took off the neck and saw these:

are these cracks fixable? is it worth it, or do i just buy another body and use this wonderful neck on it?
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier JM Jm advice

Post by 601210 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:49 pm

If you can open the cracks up a little, you could try loading them up with would glue and clamp in shut. I heard there's a trick where you use little suction cups or even a vacuum on the other side to force the glue through the crack.

But the Squier JMJM body isn't much to write home about anyways, so if you can find a body and have extra cash I'd say you might as well.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 am

thanks!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 am

I'd tell your so called friend he owes you a new Guitar or the $$$$.....

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 am

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 am
i don't believe it was his fault. i bought the guitar on the cheap side knowing it had those finish cracks that could possibly be more. like the post above said, i figured if it was compromised, i could get a body and finish it in a color i like.

i believe the guitar was damaged prior to the loan and that A. my friend didn't do anything to cause it and B. it would have happened if it was in my possession.

to his credit, my friend told me about it and i assured him of the above two things...and that he isn't responsible in any way.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 pm

jakeisjake wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 am
Larsongs wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 am
i don't believe it was his fault. i bought the guitar on the cheap side knowing it had those finish cracks that could possibly be more. like the post above said, i figured if it was compromised, i could get a body and finish it in a color i like.

i believe the guitar was damaged prior to the loan and that A. my friend didn't do anything to cause it and B. it would have happened if it was in my possession.

to his credit, my friend told me about it and i assured him of the above two things...and that he isn't responsible in any way.
In that case I rescind my recommendation against your friend.. A new or used JMJM aren't that expensive... Might not be much more than a new Neck & Refinish..... Good luck! Maybe the glue trick might work...

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Does it Fretout if you lower the action?

I have high action on all my guitars because i play such big strings and press down really hard. my guitar's conditions range from new to beat to shit.

its totally possible that the 2 issues on this guitar are (or aren't) mutually exclusive.

give it a shot

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:23 am

robroe wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:24 pm
Does it Fretout if you lower the action?

I have high action on all my guitars because i play such big strings and press down really hard. my guitar's conditions range from new to beat to shit.

its totally possible that the 2 issues on this guitar are (or aren't) mutually exclusive.

give it a shot
that's a good thought. the only thing is, (and this is where me lending it to my friend comes in to the thought process). if i'm not mistaken (because i'm going by memory...), the action was much lower when i gave it to him. he noticed the change after about six months and asked me about it.

so, it's the change that has me worried about it.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 pm

MAP on a new is $449.00. You should be able to negiotiate 15-20% off that & get it under $400.00 brand new...

Seems like a new body & a paint job probably wouldn't be much less than buying a new one..

Maybe a used JMJM body might appear but IMO that's a long shot...

There don't seem to be many JMJM's in the Used market either... I saw one on Ebay & the guy was asking more than a new one....

You could always put that magic Neck on a new JMJM & that would be a great Squier JMJM!

If & when a good JMJM Body comes available you could have 2 or sell one to offset (pun intended) the cost of the new one....

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:12 pm

honestly. if everything but the body is fine, i'd just order a new body.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:12 pm
I'm not seeing many New or Used JMJM Bodies anywhere. Warmouth has a new basic JM Body in Alpine White for $295.00.. For less than $100.00 you can buy a brand new JMJM!!!

Whatever makes more sense to you.. If it were me for the small $$$ difference I'd have to buy a new one & sell the old one.... Swap the Neck if it's better... But you'd have a brand new Guitar...

Or you could try gluing it together........

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:15 am

Larsongs wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:
I'm not seeing many New or Used JMJM Bodies anywhere. Warmouth has a new basic JM Body in Alpine White for $295.00.. For less than $100.00 you can buy a brand new JMJM!!!

Whatever makes more sense to you.. If it were me for the small $$$ difference I'd have to buy a new one & sell the old one.... Swap the Neck if it's better... But you'd have a brand new Guitar...

If it's cracked straight through the neck joint I don't think you're selling that body for anything more than "junk parts". And I don't see why it has to be a new JMJM body either, any Jazzmaster body would do.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:09 am

Those are not insurmountable cracks. Easy fixes

The wood glue, thinned, may work but it doesn't draw itself into the wounds. Nor does the suction cup trick work very well. You want the fix deep and permanent.

Find a Hobby Lobby near you and go to the model builder's area and buy a bottle of the 'Thin' CA and 'Thick' CA adhesives. Yellow and pink labels. When you get home open the ends of the tips with a straight pin or safety pin. Do not cut the tip off like a caulk gun. That stuff flows easier than vodka, a person on another forum spilled a bottle on their pants and not only welded the pants on but burned as it cured. Wear glasses, and gloves, as it splashes.

The Thin CA will wick up a crack. I've seen it run up a board twelve or more inches on its own. Use it to stabilize the finish on cracked areas. The Thick CA can be used to the finish, like in that bash point, where you can sand over it and polish it. Look up drop fill on youtube. Be watchful for runs if you over-fill or tip the body.

If you can slightly open up the cracks, like use a little toothpick and the neck screw to wedge that crack open while you put the glue in then do so. Remove the screw before you let it dry. Pickguard off/etc while doing all this.

Reassemble, setup, and play. You'll get years out of this guitar body yet.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 am

601210 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:15 am
Larsongs wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:

If it's cracked straight through the neck joint I don't think you're selling that body for anything more than "junk parts". And I don't see why it has to be a new JMJM body either, any Jazzmaster body would do.
It doesn't need to be a new JMJM Body. Used ones are very rare though.... A JMJM Body is already finished. The point is if you buy an unfinished new Body & have it painted or buy a Used Body & refinish it costs almost as much as a new JMJM with 15-20% negotiated discount! No Tax & Free Shipping...

Sell the old one or you could even be Part it out. Probably pay for the new one.. Even if you throw the old cracked Body away...I'd disclose it & just sell the whole thing & enjoy a Brand New JMJM.......

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:37 pm

so...i spread the hole a little and pushed some glue in there. i'm pretty sure it will hold.

but i bought a Spitfire tort and did a little aging.

it looked great (i think!):

but i kept messing around with it and now it doesn't look so good: