Tele Bridge x2?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tele Bridge x2?

Post by Horsefeather » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Mustang with 2 Tele bridge pickups. Good idea? I mean they're bigger and ballsier than Strat pickups so it should sound awesome, right?

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tele Bridge x2?

Post by blimpage » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Sounds like a cool idea! 😄

Tele bridge pickups generally come mounted on a big plate, so depending on what routing your Mustang already has, you might need to modify the body in order for them to fit:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tele Bridge x2?

Post by Embenny » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Someone was selling a pickguard cut for this recently.

vintage strat, mustangs, jags, etc had no overwind on the bridge pickup, so neck and bridge were equal. A reel bridge pickup sounds great...put it in the neck and it'll probably also sound great, but louder and bassier than traditional Fender neck pickups.

I'd definitely only put a vintage-wound one there in the 6-7k (42AWG) range. Some tele bridge pickups get up into the 12k region and beyond...and I would not want to hear those in a neck position, personally.

But 6k, alnico 5, 42 AWG with a slightly wider bobbin than a strat pickup and the baseplate? Sounds like a solid recipe for a neck pickup to me.

In fact, I'm assembling a Jag right now with Curtis Novak's '61 Bass VI pickups, the rectangular chrome-mounted ones. The bobbins and steel baseplate are very similar to Tele bridge pickups, so it'll probably sound quite similar to what you're thinking of doing.

The Squier Bullet Mustang has a swimming pool rout and a hardtail bridge. That would be an easy mod platform for this experiment. The Warmoth bodies come with HH routs that should fit this too, maybe with minimal adjustment.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.