Heavy gauage strings on a mahogany body?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Heavy gauage strings on a mahogany body?

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Hey young people,

I have a Guild T-Bird ST that I’d like to put round wound 12’s on, I may even consider flat wound around the same size. Will this be harmful on the mahogany body?

I ask because in the past I had an Epiphone SG Special 1 with a mahogany body. When I put round wound 12’s on it over a course of a month it pulled the bridge post thimbles to a considerable lean & bent the shitty one piece bridge/ stop piece.

I understand there’s a wood & hardware quality difference between the 2 models, but I just want to play it safe.

Thanks.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Heavy gauage strings on a mahogany body?

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm

It won't be a problem. The Epiphone you had was just made out of shitty wood, I've seen it happen on them too (eb-bass).
Acoustics are made out of thin plates of wood and they can handle 12's fine, your Guild will too.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Heavy gauage strings on a mahogany body?

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:51 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm
It won't be a problem. The Epiphone you had was just made out of shitty wood, I've seen it happen on them too (eb-bass).
Acoustics are made out of thin plates of wood and they can handle 12's fine, your Guild will too.
I chalked it up to being crappy wood on the Epiphone as well. I spoke to a rep from Sweetwater last week (where I bought the Guild) & he basically said what you’re saying about it being safe. I’ll finally have some free time tonight, so I’m gonna re-string it then-with roundwounds.