Love/Hate with Johnny Marr

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Love/Hate with Johnny Marr

Post by Embenny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:39 pm
Hans kung wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:53 pm
I'm learning there is no one guitar for everything.
I can use my Jag for everything (it’s not a Marr, but it’s pretty standard). I don’t do this however.

The main reason people get different guitars for different tones is because it’s a great excuse to get more guitars. Most of the gear details we dwell on and obsess over aren’t even noticed by the non-gear freak types
Within reason, sure. Drop-G djent and Hank Marvin cover bands do require different enough tones and tunings that I doubt you could really handle them properly with the same guitar and setup. Some drop G guitars have like .015's or higher on them.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Hans kung wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:14 pm
Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Yup, it's great to have a versatile guitar, but OTOH it seems fairly rare for a super versatile guitar to have an abundance of unique character or be able to 100% fill the shoes of a different guitar type. The Marr definitely excels at Jag-ing to me, and not necessarily much else.
What kind of music are you using your Jaguar for?
I like my Marr on the cleaner end of the amps but still a bit hairy for surfy/pasketti westerny/emo-billy type sounds. I love the percussive-ness muted, and it's got twang w/ some great neck tones and arpeggiated chords feel very nice. It jives really well w/ the Marshall and Vox type amps for a good rude jangly crunch for banging out power chords in the punk/hardcore/indie motif IMO. It seems to get along really well w/ just about any big fuzz I've plug it through for leads/noisefests/etc.

It's great to be able to make anything work for you, but I am a sound freak and I primarily play for myself whether I've got an audience or not, so I'm just fine w/ having guitars for different sounds/tunings/styles of play. It's also a good excuse to buy new guitars ;)

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:40 pm

If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:39 pm
Hans kung wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:53 pm
I'm learning there is no one guitar for everything.
I can use my Jag for everything (it’s not a Marr, but it’s pretty standard). I don’t do this however.

The main reason people get different guitars for different tones is because it’s a great excuse to get more guitars. Most of the gear details we dwell on and obsess over aren’t even noticed by the non-gear freak types
[/q uote Isn't wonderful to get a new guitar? If I'm down or bored then it must be because my Johnny Mary Jaguar doesn't have enough sustain so I'll order a new Mustang from Sweetwater and I'll be so happy when it shows up at my door 3 days later and life has meaning, and your right, most people don't notice or give a shit about all this neurotic nit picking

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 pm
Hans kung wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:14 pm
Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Yup, it's great to have a versatile guitar, but OTOH it seems fairly rare for a super versatile guitar to have an abundance of unique character or be able to 100% fill the shoes of a different guitar type. The Marr definitely excels at Jag-ing to me, and not necessarily much else.
What kind of music are you using your Jaguar for?
I like my Marr on the cleaner end of the amps but still a bit hairy for surfy/pasketti westerny/emo-billy type sounds. I love the percussive-ness muted, and it's got twang w/ some great neck tones and arpeggiated chords feel very nice. It jives really well w/ the Marshall and Vox type amps for a good rude jangly crunch for banging out power chords in the punk/hardcore/indie motif IMO. It seems to get along really well w/ just about any big fuzz I've plug it through for leads/noisefests/etc.

It's great to be able to make anything work for you, but I am a sound freak and I primarily play for myself whether I've got an audience or not, so I'm just fine w/ having guitars for different sounds/tunings/styles of play. It's also a good excuse to buy new guitars ;)
I wish I could play all that, thanks and it's great getting a new guitar

Ridgeback
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ridgeback » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 pm

I liked everything about mine except the weight (9.3 lbs) and the real deal killer, no rhythm circuit. I thought I could get by without it but in the end, I moved it on. Loved the pickups and the pup selector switching. I use the rhythm circuit a lot and it's a big part of what makes a Jag unique for me. I would probably have kept it and converted the upper horn to a conventional rhythm circuit if it had come with a matching headstock.

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Hard for me to get this "can't use Jags for everything" or "can't be my only guitar" stuff. I mean, unless you're in some really demandingly diverse cover band, it doesn't really matter. Jags are as good as anything else. The vast majority of big name guitar players have made do with typically the same model guitar for most of their songs, and with the same few general tones on every track.

At any rate, Jags are wonderful guitars that reward exploration and mastery. But I personally didn't like the Marrguar as much as the AV65.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm

What I love about my Marr:

- The neck is my favorite and is so easy to move around on and create different chords on

-The pick-ups (certain tones I can only get with these)

-the black on black finish. However I'm an idiot and considering a sparkle refin

What I hate:

-The pick-ups (while I love them, they're not as versatile I feel as what others say. In single coil mode they're useful, but my personal tastes wishes they could produce something a little more full and bassy. The other circuit is pretty much that but not quite. They're low output and it works great for a lot of applications. But they don't do the high output. You can't have it all I guess)

- like most jaguars mine is heavy.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 pm

blackbox wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:30 pm
Hard for me to get this "can't use Jags for everything" or "can't be my only guitar" stuff. I mean, unless you're in some really demandingly diverse cover band, it doesn't really matter. Jags are as good as anything else. The vast majority of big name guitar players have made do with typically the same model guitar for most of their songs, and with the same few general tones on every track.

At any rate, Jags are wonderful guitars that reward exploration and mastery. But I personally didn't like the Marrguar as much as the AV65.
I don't think anyone is telling anyone else not to use their Jag for anything they like it for, at any rate I'm not. You do you, I'll do me...

I do think you're majorly underestimating the number of guitars that "the vast majority of big time players" use in the studio and on tour however.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:07 am

This morning I really got in touch with my Johnny Marr Jaguar, it was kind of like getting in touch with my feminine side, playing and loving the guitar for what it is, for what is has to offer, unique, like a snow flake, thank you all for allowing me to express my despair and then gently showing me the light!

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:11 pm

I'm struggling with my Marrguar - great neck, great offset feel but it just sounds sort of... dull when I play it next to my JMs. Debating whether to move on and trade it for another JM or Strat, or whether to try a pickup swap with Fralin Jaguar pickups (wound a bit hotter than vintage) or maybe Novak Jaguar-Jazzmasters.

RiffRider
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RiffRider » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:27 pm

I really like the neck. I actually have two, and one has a slightly thicker neck profile that feels perfect to me. It's the best feeling neck I've ever played.

The short scale allows for more adventurous chord extensions, and the 7.25 radius is very comfortable, although I fret out on big bends.

The tremolo just feels right for how I play.

The clean tones sound vintage and the dirty sounds snarl. Perfection.

Dislikes:
Volume control-- no range.

String spacing of stock bridge too wide.

Weight ( my "heavy " one is 8 lbs 5 oz, the light one is a fluke at 7 lbs 8 oz)

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 pm

I think I read in another thread that the string spacing is remedied on the LPB Jag? Can anyone confirm that? In the market for one of these right now, but the bridge/spacing issue would def. be a drag...

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:13 pm

Yes, the LPB Marrs (and maybe new production of the standard colors?) have a 52mm string width instead of 55mm.

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm

wooderson wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:13 pm
Yes, the LPB Marrs (and maybe new production of the standard colors?) have a 52mm string width instead of 55mm.
Thanks so much, makes the decision a little easier :)