Everyone needs a stompbox.
garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Favorite "Always On" OD Pedals

Post by garyfanclub » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:14 am

popvulture wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:13 am
Not exactly an OD, but I just picked up a used Land Devices EP-5 that I plan on leaving on all the time. I've always been a fan of the Echoplex pre sound, but this configuration's particularly nice because it gives three boost settings—left is the most straightforward, "generally enhancing" boost, middle is a little warmer/rounder, and right is very loud, maybe a no-diode setting if I had to guess. The left setting is my fave, and does a great job of bringing out a little brightness in the 335 that I've been favoring as of late.
Came here to say this - bought an EP5 and it’s been on since. The three boost settings means it’s versatile and matches nicely with whatever amp you happen to be plugged into. Love the middle setting at 11oc for adding some roundness to my Jag for fills/breaks. Flip it to the left for a rattier jangle with my Tele custom. Sounds perfect with my Reverberocket.

Been pairing this with an Iommi’d Rangemaster clone for a saturated vintage psych/ early NY crazy horse type sound. Great combination into a low wattage tube amp (see Reverberocket)

Anyhow, highly reccommend the EP5 if you want an option for “a little more” with some versatility that means it’ll play nice with different amps.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:43 am

for the last 3 years, my OCD has been on all the time. just a great sounding pedal through my rig, with any of my guitars.

valley_parade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by valley_parade » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:59 am

EHX Double Muff on the single setting, around 10 o'clock.

I should probably trade it in and get a regular Nano Muff, I never use the double setting.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:45 pm

I like a Timmy and an ARC Klone in that capacity. Some of my amps like an EP Booster always on, but some don’t.

Zorro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Zorro » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:56 pm

I use a Fulltone Fulldrive 1 in comp-cut mode with my Twin, and it's pretty much always on. With the guitar volume at max I got a nice crunch, actually the best I ever heard from that amp, and it cleans up nicely with the volume turned down a bit. It works very well at band volumes. I play a jag with Fender true vintage 65 pickups, and the Twin is a silver face from 1976.

Spitshaded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spitshaded » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:21 am

Paul Cochrane Timmy
Way Huge Saucy Box

Always have my EP Booster on, no matter what

ncarey13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ncarey13 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:28 am

My Danelectro Daddy-O pedal is always on. I'll stack a Rat on top of it when needed.
They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer.

sa1126
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sa1126 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 am

I have used all of the following depending on the amp:

SS/BS F*ck
Fairfield barbershop
Timmy
Klon/klones
Ibanez TS-10
Earthquaker tone job
Gibson Les Paul Custom --> Orange AD30

great deals with dug, grandmasterdavid, ChrisFFTA, Bryce_dude13, cestlamort, jimi, HNB,blake480,DocCarlson,
Gonkulator, AWSchmit, billboneys, panoramic,Gavanti,seancomm,Swansonron,Con-Tiki!

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:26 am

My Bearfoot Silver Bee is always on. To my ears it sounds similar to my VibroChamp amp played at full tilt. It works great with my live amp ('65 Bandmaster / Tremolux 2x10 cab), adding some welcome compression and mids. For more drive I push it with a ZVex Super Duper.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:20 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:46 am
Most recently I discovered that the JPTR FX "JIVE - Reel Saturator" is a pretty nice always on pedal. It somehow puts a little magic to your sound whatever pedal is in front of it or afterward. It is supposed sound like an old AKAI gx210 Tape Machine - and has 3 mini toggles to allow individual diodes to be (de/)activated. Depending which diode you choose the sound gets grettier but also a bit more quiet, but there is plenty of volume-reserves you can add to balance that. And also a Gain know if you need it a bit dirtier.
While all his other pedals (at least those I tried) are pretty crazy and belong more into experimental territory - this one is really a secret holy grail kind of pedal. It's still not always always on... that's solely my reverb pedal. but it's a pretty hot candidate!

I've been interested in this pedal, or a Walrus 385, which is a somewhat similar concept. They seem really nice.
kingmedicine wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:08 pm
Through the Vox I'm using now, I like the Hotcake always on with my JMs. Also the EQD Westwood has been pretty nice as well.
I've also been looking at this one, recently, nice to hear it sounds good on Vox amps.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Z*Z*Z
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Z*Z*Z » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:19 pm

I always loved the sound of preamps from tape echoes. Klemt, Roland, Binson... Love them. Also I had small modified/simplified fuzz face built in tiny enclosure stuck on my guitar strap years ago - it was all Ive been using back then... Great cleanup on guitar volume and tube amp. Also I like Klon, Boss BD-2, old Fulldrive2 as always on drive, I even used my custom built Rat with not so good cleanup on guitar volume, but it works.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:31 am

Z*Z*Z wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:19 pm
I always loved the sound of preamps from tape echoes. Klemt, Roland, Binson... Love them. Also I had small modified/simplified fuzz face built in tiny enclosure stuck on my guitar strap years ago - it was all Ive been using back then... Great cleanup on guitar volume and tube amp. Also I like Klon, Boss BD-2, old Fulldrive2 as always on drive, I even used my custom built Rat with not so good cleanup on guitar volume, but it works.
Yeah, that's one of the things that make me wonder if I should bother with those. I've got multiple klones, 2 modded BD-2s, multiple IVP clones, a Zenkudo, an EP booster (probably others), and lots and lots of fuzzes. Given that, I'm not sure which of the 3 above would be more different than the other things that I have to warrant buying it - the Westwood vs. the Jive or the 385. I'm sure even the Jive and the 385 are somewhat different from each other, but I don't know which crosses into already covered territory. But it's nothing that can't wait.
-David

Hydroquebec
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hydroquebec » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:52 am

I'm just getting into overdrive and noticed that I played an entire session the other day with it on, so I guess it's growing on me.

I'm quite happy with the EHX Crayon for it's multiple color options. I also have a Black Cat OD that goes from dirty boost to full roar. I think I actually like the digital drive that's in the EHX Platform - I know it's digital, but it sounds quite nice with my Jag.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am

Yeah, you can sometimes forget that overdrive is on, especially when it's set low enough just to give it all some nice color.

That's pretty cool that you found something in the digital realm that works for you. I haven't really found very many (any, really) digital distortions that I've really liked. I haven't tried all that many, but to me, there is a much bigger difference in the ability to get really good digital sounds with almost every other type of effect, than with any kind of digital dirt - OD, distortion or fuzz.

There are some emulations in my Digitech EX-7 pedal that emulate a few different pedals, which is a cool feature to keep it all self contained, but they're just not the same as an analog circuit. Maybe there's better stuff out there now, but mostly what I've tried are things like the EX-7 or the older everything pedals, and probably not the better, more expensive ones.
-David

Hydroquebec
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hydroquebec » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:55 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am
That's pretty cool that you found something in the digital realm that works for you. I haven't really found very many (any, really) digital distortions that I've really liked. I haven't tried all that many, but to me, there is a much bigger difference in the ability to get really good digital sounds with almost every other type of effect, than with any kind of digital dirt - OD, distortion or fuzz.
I completely agree. I was quite caught off guard when I realized the drive was digital. It sent me on a quest to find an analog equivalent, which seemed to be in the Crayon.