Mustang on a Jaguar

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang on a Jaguar

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 pm

Maybe buy a guitar you actually like instead of pouring money into one it appears you really don't?

Jaguars just don't sustain the way that other guitars do - it's why they have the character and tone they do.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:23 pm

I should just sell this Jaguar and get a guitar like my mustang but with a whammy bar. :-/

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:10 am

Hans kung wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 am
cjs wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:16 am
the sustain you're enjoying on that mustang thing is due to its adjustonatic bridge and anchored tail piece. nothing is lost and it just rings, like an gibson.
Good to know.....I don't understand why they put a shitty bridge on the Jaguar.
Well, ironically enough, that shitty bridge is a big part of the jaguar sound LOL at least that's a big part of what I associate with the plinkyness of the jaguar, that and the short scale.

Like others said, the construction on the mustang you have is very different and it will definitely sustain more because of that.

BTW if you get a mustang with a whammy bar, that is bound to sound very different than yours, for the bridge alone, so watch out and try before you buy.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:11 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:10 am
Hans kung wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 am
cjs wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:16 am
the sustain you're enjoying on that mustang thing is due to its adjustonatic bridge and anchored tail piece. nothing is lost and it just rings, like an gibson.
Good to know.....I don't understand why they put a shitty bridge on the Jaguar.
Well, ironically enough, that shitty bridge is a big part of the jaguar sound LOL at least that's a big part of what I associate with the plinkyness of the jaguar, that and the short scale.

Like others said, the construction on the mustang you have is very different and it will definitely sustain more because of that.

BTW if you get a mustang with a whammy bar, that is bound to sound very different than yours, for the bridge alone, so watch out and try before you buy.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm learning a lot here. I don't have to have a whammy bar, I don't think they make mustangs with whammy bars...but I will always try before buy, that's my NY resolution.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 am

Hans kung wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:11 am

Thanks for the heads up, I'm learning a lot here. I don't have to have a whammy bar, I don't think they make mustangs with whammy bars...but I will always try before buy, that's my NY resolution.

The Mustang was literally invented as a guitar with a whammy bar (or Dynamic Vibrato, to be specific):

The Duo-Sonic II was the Mustang but with a hardtail bridge:

In the 90's, Fender started making a 24.75" scale Mustang-shaped guitar with a stratocaster tremolo but called it the Cyclone to differentiate it from the Mustang:

It was only in the last 10 years or so that Fender started calling Mustang-shaped guitars with different bridges "Mustangs". It used to mean 1) Body shape 2) Dynamic Vibrato, and 3) 24" or 22.75" scale.

Now, in the 2010's, Fender is calling this (stratocaster) hardtail 24" guitar a Mustang:

Along with different hardtail bridges on the American Special Mustang:

and the Pawn Shop Mustang Special, with a modified body shape:

All this is to say that, as a newcomer, I'll forgive you for saying you "don't think they make a Mustang with a whammy bar"....when that had been the very definition of a Mustang for nearly 40 years.

But yes. They do make Mustangs with vibrato bridges. The only new options are Squier Vintage Modified at the low end, and American Performer Mustang at the higher end.

The American Performer Mustang has pretty much the identical neck to your American Special Mustang, FYI, so since you like that guitar, you'll likely enjoy this one, and it'll have the Vibrato you seek...

Your other option, if you love the American Special Mustang, is to buy another one and install a tremolo on it. A super easy mod is the Duesenberg Les Trem II. Here's a photo of one on a Jaguar Special, which had the same adjustomatic bridge (the Les Trem mounts to the existing Stop tailpiece posts):

The second option is to install a Bigsby, which can mount reversibly with a Vibramate plate. This particular Mustang doesn't have a vibramate installed, but it gives you an idea of what a Bigsby looks like on the smaller body:

Personally, I'd choose the cheaper and lighter Les Trem if you didn't like the Dynamic VIbrato on the American Performer.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:04 am

nicely handled.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:02 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 pm
Maybe buy a guitar you actually like instead of pouring money into one it appears you really don't?

Jaguars just don't sustain the way that other guitars do - it's why they have the character and tone they do.
I think so. No music store had a JM Jag to play before buyin. I wanted a 24 inch scale with a thicker neck, I have old Hobbit hands, I heard the 7.25 radius makes chording easier and vintage frets are no biggie and it had a whammy bar, I've ordered from Sweetwater before so I bought it, I should have played it more when I first got it so I could return.....but I do have another Question...do you think a Mastey bridge would correct that " plinkey" tone?

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 am
Hans kung wrote:

The Mustang was literally invented as a guitar with a whammy bar (or Dynamic Vibrato, to be specific):

In the 90's, Fender started making a 24.75" scale Mustang-shaped guitar with a stratocaster tremolo but called it the Cyclone to differentiate it from the Mustang:

It was only in the last 10 years or so that Fender started calling Mustang-shaped guitars with different bridges "Mustangs". It used to mean 1) Body shape 2) Dynamic Vibrato, and 3) 24" or 22.75" scale.

Now, in the 2010's, Fender is calling this (stratocaster) hardtail 24" guitar a Mustang:

All this is to say that, as a newcomer, I'll forgive you for saying you "don't think they make a Mustang with a whammy bar"....when that had been the very definition of a Mustang for nearly 40 years.

But yes. They do make Mustangs with vibrato bridges. The only new options are Squier Vintage Modified at the low end, and American Performer Mustang at the higher end.

The American Performer Mustang has pretty much the identical neck to your American Special Mustang, FYI, so since you like that guitar, you'll likely enjoy this one, and it'll have the Vibrato you seek...

Your other option, if you love the American Special Mustang, is to buy another one and install a tremolo on it. A super easy mod is the Duesenberg Les Trem II. Here's a photo of one on a Jaguar Special, which had the same adjustomatic bridge (the Les Trem mounts to the existing Stop tailpiece posts):

The second option is to install a Bigsby, which can mount reversibly with a Vibramate plate. This particular Mustang doesn't have a vibramate installed, but it gives you an idea of what a Bigsby looks like on the smaller body:

Personally, I'd choose the cheaper and lighter Les Trem if you didn't like the Dynamic VIbrato on the American Performer.
Does the Masterly bridge people make a whammy bar for a mustang? Would I have to drill into the body to install it?

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Ok, got to order from Germany :(

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Hans kung wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 pm
Ok, got to order from Germany :(
Deimel than it is... not a problem. It's to be had for only "a hand full dollars more"! ;-) than directly from them.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 pm

And thank you mbene for that detailed information of the Mustang and its siblings... I knew about both of them but not what were the distinctive differences... so a normal Mustang is either a 24" or a 22.75" neck? So a 3/4rd neck is that it?

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm

OP,

What are you going to with all this extra sustain?

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:13 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm
OP,

What are you going to with all this extra sustain?
I'm gonna bend those notes and listen to them sing.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:06 pm

Hans kung wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 am
Hans kung wrote:

Does the Masterly bridge people make a whammy bar for a mustang? Would I have to drill into the body to install it?
Oh man! That american performer mustang really looks good! I could not find to many reviews, I wonder what it sounds like with that type of bridge? Too bad it's s modern C, their a bit thin for me, perhaps I'll try one again, maybe sell Jag and buy mustang and not tell wife.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Hans,

That is a mildly redesigned mustang bridge. It'll sound like any other vintage style mustang, basically.

As for the specific pickups in the Performer Mustang,
here is a good demo of the clean to lightly overdriven tones.

As for the neck profile, I have not tried one, but one OSG a member posted saying that it felt a lot to them like the American Special Mustang neck, which you already own.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.