Down sizing and decisions to make

Make it loud here.
JforJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Down sizing and decisions to make

Post by JforJag » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm leaning towards #2 - Bandmaster, but in a 2X10 combo.
Or #4 - sell all and pick up a smaller practice amp for the interim.

Whatever you do, don't sell your guitars cause you're gonna want to gig again in x years.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Get the Princeton dude. You'll love it

ziess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ziess » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:45 am

Princetons are their own cool thing, but if you want the Twin Reverb sound in a smaller package you need to really look to a Deluxe Reverb.

The Princeton circuit is totally different and no amount of speaker swaps will get you there. The DR shares the same circuit as the TR (less mid controls, bright switches and output tubes) so is a lot closer.

Tommy.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:59 am

I've considered a deluxe reverb but was thinking PR just because it's a bit smaller/easier on the back.

ziess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ziess » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:43 am

A quick Google would suggest there's a few Kgs in it, only you can decide whether that's enough of a difference to matter. The PR is smaller, but not massively so, probably only a factor if you're significantly constrained on space.

For me it'd be worth it for the AB763 circuit in the DR and the 12" speaker, but that's just me (and I have both!).

Tommy.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 am

I've been going through a similar process with gear OP, so can relate (albeit for a different reason - house buying).

As Zeiss has said above the PR and DR are different beasts - it's been a long time since I've played with a band and these days I mostly play with friends, so I use a silverface PR (from about 1971) and it is perfect. Prior to this (a long while back) I had a 65 DR reissue - I notice the difference in weight between the SFPR and the DRRI - the DRRI was quite a bit heavier, but we're not talking AC30 weight... However that could also be down to the difference in weight between a Silverface and a modern reissue - SF cabs aren't always the best made after all and tend to be lighter due to the materials used.

I also found that the DRRI was loud. It's 22 watts iirc ... but it was too loud for me. I'd have to get it to about 4 on volume before it would be at the point where clean or dirty was determined by how you played - and at 4 the Deluxe Reverb was actually quite loud in a home setting. That said the vibrato on the DRRI was actually pretty nice (I remember playing How Soon Is Now? with heavy vibrato on it when I got it and thinking it sounded pretty damn good).

I guess it depends what you want - if you're coming from the perspective of a Twin and want more volume then the Deluxe makes more sense - especially if you want a bit of headroom. For me Princetons are perfect - you get to that sweet spot at a much lower volume, but it's still plenty loud enough for playing with others - but at 3 or 4 on the dial it's never loud loud ... so even apart from the circuit differences it's nothing like a Twin that way.

If you were thinking of vintage and could get past the lack of coordination with your reverb unit, you can get some really good deals on SF Deluxe Reverbs and Princeton Reverbs. I think I got my '71 a few years back for a few hundred euro less than the price of a spanking new PRRI - and even if they were priced the same I'd take a nice old broken in speaker and more robust wiring over a circuit board and new speaker.

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:29 am

I think, personally, I'd keep the 64 and think about acquiring something like a PR or even smaller.

But a couple other options / factors to consider might be:
•Raise the price you're willing to sell (whatever amp you sell) to a level you feel super comfortable with—and sort of let your circumstances/market decide whether you keep it or not.
•Don't forget that buying amps rules. So if you do wind up regretting something, you'll just continue on this wild journey we all love ;D

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 am

One thing to keep in mind, as the kid(s) get bigger you will have more storage issues. The first few years the toys are oversized for the kids (plastic play houses, Tonka Trucks, etc) and the potential for damage occurs.

We got a new flat screen wall-mounted television (thinking to keep it and the kid safe, just baby-proofing still) and somehow within the first week of owning this nice new television, the two to three year old found something long handled to reach the screen and beat on it. No indicators prior to this. Not an angry kid situation. Just beat on the new television. TV still works ten years later, but has all these gouges in the screen panel to look through that either add a star field or flies depending on the brightness of the show. So you won't know. Make sure you have no guitars with fragile headstocks.

If you follow the traditional pattern, you'll move houses once or twice in the next decade. Fancy music gear will make that more challenging especially if you are not using it or just trying to store it.

Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paul-T » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:02 am

I was going to disagree with the last post.... but then I remembered how my gorgeous nipper coloured in the top of the little combo I had knocking around the house with a red felt tip. It was a 1954 Champ. Now that he's nearly finished secondary (high) school the pale marks from where I managed to clean them off have blended in. So think long term. And maybe black Tolex is the way to go.

In the last few weeks I got my Champ back from repair, and personally I would love to swap it for a Silver Face Princeton Reverb. Unfortunately they're not too common in Europe.

I actually enjoy downsizing, although I always tend to convert my sales into different/better/smaller stuff, i like to have smaller things sitting in the living room that I can use, more than a bigger cabinet sitting in a bedroom/basement etc.
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

tele_pathic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tele_pathic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 am

I'd sell everything and buy either a vintage Princeton Reverb or a PRRI with the 10" speaker. IF your drummer doesn't try to murder the drums (more of a light hitter, and not a smasher), then the PRRI is plenty loud enough. I've had the PRRI with a 12" Cannabis Rex speaker, and it DOES NOT sound like a Princeton Reverb. That's why I suggest a PRRI or even a '68 Custom PRRI with a 10" speaker instead. PLUS, you'd have change, a lot of it, left over.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 pm

If a Deluxe Reverb sounds ideal but you want something smaller, the Vintage Sound 22sc or 35sc could be the ticket. Basically a single channel handmade blackface DR clone in a PR sized cabinet (it's an inch deeper). I've got one and after I found the right speaker for it it became my favorite sounding amp. Will be closer to the TR sound and have more oomph than the PR to keep up with your neighbor.

Here's a pic of mine.

Jazzmastervsjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzmastervsjaguar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm

What speaker did you put in it? Damn also miss my PH-3 the rise, fall, and step modes are so rad!

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:17 am

I've found through trial and error that I prefer alnico speakers. The silver bullet in this amp was the Jupiter 12" alnico.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am

Paul-T wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:02 am
I was going to disagree with the last post.... but then I remembered how my gorgeous nipper coloured in the top of the little combo I had knocking around the house with a red felt tip. It was a 1954 Champ. Now that he's nearly finished secondary (high) school the pale marks from where I managed to clean them off have blended in. So think long term. And maybe black Tolex is the way to go.

In the last few weeks I got my Champ back from repair, and personally I would love to swap it for a Silver Face Princeton Reverb. Unfortunately they're not too common in Europe.
This is kind of the thing I was going to say, if you like vintage items, they don't get any cheaper or easier to obtain with time.

Luckily I didn't follow pretty much everyone's advice when my kids were born, to get rid of all the stuff that I had when I was playing out. It wasn't all that much, but it was good stuff, and I'd never have gotten what it was worth at the time had I sold it, so I kept it, even though I could rarely play it for the first 5 years.

The flip side of that is that right now, you may get a great price for what that stuff is worth with the market the way that it is. I just think that if you ever try to chase these again later on, you may find that you will regret having sold the elusive and expensive things that you're trying to chase down and get, that were once in your possession.

But everyone's different. I'm not that focused on vintage for the most part (although I do have some somewhat older stuff), so that part is not as big a deal to me.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 pm

In my opinion, based on how you seem to feel about what you've already got, what I would do is to sell the Univox and the '67 Bandmaster, and before selling anything else, pick up a Princeton or something else. I would say to sell the rest if you want, only once you find something else you really like. I've sold a couple things that I regret, and it's a bitch not being able to get that specific one back.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384