Mustang on a Jaguar

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Mustang on a Jaguar

Post by Hans kung » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:56 am

cjs wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:16 am
the sustain you're enjoying on that mustang thing is due to its adjustonatic bridge and anchored tail piece. nothing is lost and it just rings, like an gibson.
Good to know.....I don't understand why they put a shitty bridge on the Jaguar.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:02 am

MatthewK wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:22 am
You can always try the neck seating trick - with the Jag strung to pitch, undo the 4 neck plate screws just a quarter turn or so - the strings will pull the neck heel into the body harder. You may hear a crack or a thunk, or nothing may happen. Tighten them up again (not too tight) and re-tune before trying it out.

Also, not to be condescending, but humbuckers are radically different pickups than Jag single coils and of course the notes are going to ring longer.
You all convinced me the neck idea was a bad one, I'm not messing with the neck. I heard hummbuckers have better Sustain...but I have to strat and I'm very satisfied with their sustain, but thanks.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 am

Hans kung wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:43 am
Did you say "sustains like a beast"? Are these hard to install yourself? Yes, the American Special mustang is a great guitar, Someday I'll have one built with whammy bar.
Haha. Yes! I could even play Doom with it!
And no, not at all. If the timbles fit - what they do if you don't have a Adjustomatic on it - it's a 5-10 min operation including restringing.
Mine was a perfectly fit for the radius too - not knowing how they're set from factory normally - but I had no troubles with it.

I did change the pickups later too - but still single coils... just HB size. And I remember it to be really cool before that - but the pickups were fieping too much whenever I used a Fuzz pedal. It's a japanese guitar, so it could have been those strange pickups. I guess it's totally fine with the standard J Marr pickups or any American 65 RI set of pickups.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:06 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 am
Hans kung wrote:
Did you say "sustains like a beast"? Are these hard to install yourself? Yes, the American Special mustang is a great guitar, Someday I'll have one built with whammy bar.
And no, not at all. If the timbles fit - what they do if you don't have a Adjustomatic on it - it's a 5-10 min operation including restringing.
Mine was a perfectly fit for the radius too - not knowing how they're set from factory normally - but I had no troubles with it.

I did change the pickups later too - but still single coils... just HB size. And I remember it to be really cool before that - but the pickups were fieping too much whenever I used a Fuzz pedal. It's a japanese guitar, so it could have been those strange pickups. I guess it's totally fine with the standard J Marr pickups or any American 65 RI set of pickups.
. I'll check out the website site today and probably order them, thanks.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 am
Hans kung wrote:

I went to the web site and I assume I would order the M1 Kit....and not the M1 bridge..... would you check that out please?

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:36 pm

No I think it would be be the M1 bridge, it's confusing cause there is the M1 bridge for USA offsets but there is the kit for Jaguar and Jazzmaster.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Hey! I guess it's the the M1 Bridge you need.
The Kit is only if it's a Mexican, japanese or somewhat else.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm
Hey! I guess it's the the M1 Bridge you need.
The Kit is only if it's a Mexican, japanese or somewhat else.
Ok, gottcha......although I don't like the idea that I spent $1500 on a guitar and have to spend another $300, shipping, to "upgrade".

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:03 pm

300?? This is madness! Where are you from, if I may ask? There are a lot of "local" dealers all around the world - I payed 215€ or something like that for mine (M2 Kit). I've ordered it from Deimel Guitarworks in Germany. I live in Austria, that was the closest.
But I understand your point. Like others have already mentioned you could also raise the tension by adjusting your neck (shimming or tightening two of the screws) and also by using thicker strings (12-56 or even 60 or so) and gain a little sustain through this.
Aaaah, I forgot that the J Marr already comes with something like a Mustang Bridge...

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:03 pm
300?? This is madness! Where are you from, if I may ask? There are a lot of "local" dealers all around the world - I payed 215€ or something like that for mine (M2 Kit). I've ordered it from Deimel Guitarworks in Germany. I live in Austria, that was the closest.
But I understand your point. Like others have already mentioned you could also raise the tension by adjusting your neck (shimming or tightening two of the screws) and also by using thicker strings (12-56 or even 60 or so) and gain a little sustain through this.
Aaaah, I forgot that the J Marr already comes with something like a Mustang Bridge...
Oops, I meant $200. No I'm not messing with it, I'll just get the bridge, you have been a great help.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Puh! Okay. :-) You're welcome!
You can sell it any day if you don't like it - but I bet you will love it!

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 am

The other thing worth remembering is that some guitars simply sustain more than others, even with the same woods, same strings, and same hardware.

For sustain I've recently become a convert of roasted maple necks - I've got them on three guitars now, all from Musikraft. In each case I've found them to add sustain and a beautiful upper-midrange that sounds so sweet. Not a cheap option, but I'd recommend them all day!

Cheers!
J.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:34 am

JVG wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:20 am
The other thing worth remembering is that some guitars simply sustain more than others, even with the same woods, same strings, and same hardware.

For sustain I've recently become a convert of roasted maple necks - I've got them on three guitars now, all from Musikraft. In each case I've found them to add sustain and a beautiful upper-midrange that sounds so sweet. Not a cheap option, but I'd recommend them all day!

Cheers!
J.
Well that's good to know.....but for now I'll wait to see how Happy I will be with the new bridge....as far as neck modification goes I think at some point I'll have Jumbo's put on....this neck has vintage frets, their not bad but Jumbo's are better. Damn! This is going to be an expensive guitar!

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Does any one know how much a fret job will be?.

Hans kung
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hans kung » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Looks to me like putting jumbo frets on my JM Jaguar can run up to $600, add $200 for a bridge
....add $1500 for the guitar....Damn! Thats $2300 for this guitar! Damn! Any one out there spend $2300 for a guitar?