Plugin Subscription Recommendations

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Plugin Subscription Recommendations

Post by Telliot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:38 am

This is a fairly new concept to me. It seems more and more companies are giving full access to all their plugins for a monthly fee. At first I was turned off to the idea, but when I do the math, in some cases I’d have to subscribe for a decade or more (!) before I get to the point where I could have purchased their full library outright. This model gives lowly people like me access to plugins I’d normally never consider, due to their price point.

Are any of you subscribers, and if so, do you think it’s worth the monthly or yearly fee? Can you recommend your favorite plugin makers?
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Plugin Subscription Recommendations

Post by Dok » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Subscribing... I'd be interested to know what you're looking at! The only non-stock plugin I've really been using the hell out of in Logic is Fab-Filter ProQ, of course now I see that they've just released v3. No subscription model there, of course.
Local milk person

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:21 pm

I have a subscription to the East West Composer Cloud:

http://www.soundsonline.com/composerclo ... -sQAvD_BwE

And truthfully I don't use it very much at all. Slate Digital also has a popular subscription model, and now Presonus has their Studio One on a rent to own system that is pretty cool, but I know you are a dedicated Logic guy and nothing beats that for what we do.

Pro Tools is of course subscription, but fuck Avid, their notation software Sibelius is also subscription and it's the best, but again, fuck Avid.

Adobe is of course subscription and I have a subscription to the Creative Cloud, my job pays for that... the only real dedicated audio related thing in there is Audition, though. Audition is wonderful for what it does.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:25 pm

The main thing I want to go subscription is the Vienna Symphonic Library, which I would give up the East West package for. I thought about ditching that today anyway.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Dok wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:17 pm
Subscribing... I'd be interested to know what you're looking at! The only non-stock plugin I've really been using the hell out of in Logic is Fab-Filter ProQ, of course now I see that they've just released v3. No subscription model there, of course.
I’ve been looking at the Kush Audio lineup. Pretty impressive stuff.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am

I don't know who does subscriptions besides Propellerhead on their rack extensions (I use Reason). Any thing else besides East West and Kush?

Telliot: How did you make the calculations? Most of the time plugin prices are inflated beyond all reason in order to make other deals seem like a steal.

I just bought the Arturia V collection and the Soundtoys 5 bundle. I am currently in the phase where I think I will never need anything again. Not to mention that I have not even fully installed Komplete 11 that I bought in the summer.

Of course, I can 100% be completely fine with the stock Logic and Reason plugins, so I understand and accept that this is purely retail therapy for me. I have to say though that the Arturia stuff is a complete surprise and just fun fun fun. If you don't have this, get it. It is $250 right now and so worth it.

I'll watch this thread in case any more opportunities for me to spend money come up.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm hearing a lot these days about this Arturia stuff. I might have to take a look into it.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:45 am

This is a good time of year to buy plugins. The pre- and post-Christmas sale prices are usually the lowest all year

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:49 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:41 pm
I'm hearing a lot these days about this Arturia stuff. I might have to take a look into it.
Seriously, the Arturia synth collection covers so much ground. It's totally worth the price and if you you keep an eye on it, buying it and doing upgrades never has to happen at full price.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:30 am

Are you looking for mixing tools, channel strips, instruments?

I just got a Big Muff plugin for cheap....I think it's called Big Goat. SOunds amazing.

I am about to take the plunge into the Arturia synth pool. I downloaded two (moog and sem) for my iPad , and it sounds very good playing with my midi keyboard through a bass amp.

Try vst4free and vst planet for a ton of free and legal stuff.

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:16 pm

The Slate one really offers tons of great stuff, I bought just about all their plugins prior to them starting the subscription model, but don't do the subscription out of principle (since I already dropped tons of cash on the older ones and make due fine with what I have). You could subscribe to the slate bundle for almost 8 years before you'd equal the amount I spent on permanent licenses. The Kush stuff is all really awesome and they're all very musical plugins but they don't cover near as many bases as the slate stuff. With stock ProTools/ Logic plugins and the Slate bundle there's not really much you'd be lacking.
Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic