What is the pedal you've chased the longest?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What is the pedal you've chased the longest?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:28 pm

In the last month I bought a Hall of Fame, Ditto x2 (today), and just received a CBA Thermae in the mail yesterday. I lusted after the thermae since it came out and it was $75 off on Black Friday so...yeah. I can’t justify spending that amount on any pedal, since I don’t play out or record, but much less something so weird and unsuited for most music (unless you ignore the main features and use it as a normal delay). All the same, nobody I know would question spending that much on NFL tickets or a computer just to play videogames on...whatever.

The Thermae is ridiculous and awesome, and the price isn’t unreasonable when you consider something like a spring reverb unit costs more and does a lot less. It sucks because pedals are like a black hole that I keep falling further into

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:53 am

Zork wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:34 pm
Chasing is maybe the wrong word but I lusted after a Moogerfooger Ring Modulator for years. I was waiting for the once-in-a-lifetime-bargain-price and always thought I can wait, I'll find it for less elsewhere. I'm afraid I will have to buy the next one I can get my hands on in the used market. The ring mods are still in production and widely available but the end is nigh! And I've already seen clusterfluxes for over 1500€ since Moog stopped building them. I need to get a ring mod before this gets completely out of control. It's already pretty hard to accept I'll never own a Freq Box but well...
...so I got one for 240 / free shipping. That's still about 10€ less than the average price in the local classifieds. Not the superonceinalifetimebargainprice I was hoping for but still pretty good and at least I got one before prices went totally nuts. Yay! I'm officially a proud owner of a Moogerfooger MF-102!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 am

so yeah, i swore i posted here but i guess not.

at this point, i know what pedals work/dont for me. however there are a few pedals with extra features i'd like.

1. a DMM clone that aint the size of a horse. seriously, my vintage time machine hangs like 1/4th an inch off my pedalboard and it bothers me.
2. a boss dm2 with a push to make button so i can have self oscillation at any moment. i modded a cheap delay a few years ago to do that and it was amazing. i keep meaning to try building a dm2 like this and i have the perfect box for it. sadly my pedal building stuff is still sitting up at my friends.
3. a CE-3 clone in a normal enclosure with a footswitch so i can more easily switch between chorus and vibrato mode.

i have always wanted a silverface reverb tank though. i think that would be cool.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:40 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 am
1. a DMM clone that aint the size of a horse. seriously, my vintage time machine hangs like 1/4th an inch off my pedalboard and it bothers me.
Not sure about availability in the UK, but take a look on Reverb/eBay/the like for a Madbean Total Recall with MN3005's. Less than half the size of a Vintage Time Machine (so more like a miniature pony?) and captures every bit of that DMM smear--I had one on my board for a long time for its smaller footprint and honestly can't distinguish between it and my vintage DMM with my eyes closed.

Ones prebuilt by other folks seem to run anywhere from $60 (what I got mine for, though it came in a test mule enclosure that looked like swiss cheese) to ~$120, though I guess you're rolling the dice in build quality terms buying from a random stranger.

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:43 am

green_mario wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 am
It makes me want to start a non-profit that gives Rat pedals to teenagers.
:-* :-*

I'm thinking that if Fender and ProCo could use it as a tax write-off we could have an official OSG charity project that works like this: kids donate their other gear in exchange for permission to buy new things from our store at wholesale prices. We sell the oddball gear, and the only items in the charity store are Rats, cables, VM offsets, and 65 and 68 PRRIs.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:43 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 am
they're not cheap or particularly small but i think the dba echo dream hits on something close to the dmm in a slightly smaller box

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:33 pm

The dod rubberneck can also be very dmmish.

SlowEmotionReplay
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SlowEmotionReplay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 pm

green_mario wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 am
After playing in a band and doing DIY recordings for years as a teenager/young adult with nothing but a DS-1, I finally started to branch out and try to get a better distortion sound. When I finally stumbled across a Rat everything fell into place. If I had found that pedal earlier, so many of my old songs would be more listenable to me right now. It makes me want to start a non-profit that gives Rat pedals to teenagers.

I have a ProCo RAT R2DU rackmount.

I bought it in like 1993.

I quit playing electric guitar (I know, wtf) from 1998-2018.

When I started reassembling my guitar rig I realized I had lost the RAT power supply so I took it to the local
Guitar Center and GC employees were taking pictures of it. Some of them didn’t know RAT rackmount existed.

I’m really enjoying this forum, btw. It’s made buying a Marr Jag an even better experience than I thought it would be.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:08 pm

SlowEmotionReplay wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 pm

I have a ProCo RAT R2DU rackmount.

Those are cool indeed! Rats have so many uses. There's nothing that sounds quite like them. It took me a long time to finally try one. I've only been using them for about 15 years, but when I bought my first (a used Big Box reissue), I was amazed how I had gone so long without one 8)
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:28 pm
In the last month I bought a Hall of Fame, Ditto x2 (today), and just received a CBA Thermae in the mail yesterday. I lusted after the thermae since it came out and it was $75 off on Black Friday so...yeah. I can’t justify spending that amount on any pedal, since I don’t play out or record, but much less something so weird and unsuited for most music (unless you ignore the main features and use it as a normal delay). All the same, nobody I know would question spending that much on NFL tickets or a computer just to play videogames on...whatever.

The Thermae is ridiculous and awesome, and the price isn’t unreasonable when you consider something like a spring reverb unit costs more and does a lot less. It sucks because pedals are like a black hole that I keep falling further into
Congratulations from a fellow pedalholic and all around gear addict. Pedals are a black hole that nobody escapes from, once they get pulled in deep enough. And in this golden age of pedals, it's hard not to indulge because there are so many cool, divergent pedals out, and more every day.

But I tend to look at it in a similar way to how you seem to - I don't hunt, I don't fish, I don't play golf and I don't spend $50 - 200+ on NCAA, NFL or NHL tickets. All of those "hobbies" cost a ton of money for all of the clothing, equipment, supplies, etc. I look at music as a passion, and I spend most of my money on musical equipment, and I spend most of my (free) time trying to get the most out of my investments.

That may sound (too much) like a junkie justifying their habit, but hey - you get by, one day at a time...
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:12 am

I had to think long and hard and came to the conclusion that I don't think there is anything I particularly do lust after, pedal-wise.

The one thing I probably would like is one of the old Japanese fuzz/ wah pedals like I had when I first started playing guitar. The really cheap ones that they used to sell in mail order catalogues back in the late 70's/ early 80's - mine was badged 'JHS' but I think they were all a generic Shin-Ei type. Really nasty fuzz that could take the top of your head off with the wah. I know you can get them secondhand, but I don't fancy paying 200 quid or whatever. Especially since I think mine got almost given away coz I wanted that BIG rawk distortion for those super-sustaining solos. Foolish youth!

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:30 pm

How about over-priced pedal that you can't justify spending the money on? I so want one of these things (so I can realize that it's way more pedal than I need/want... like I always do. :fp: :'( :unsure: )

SlowEmotionReplay
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SlowEmotionReplay » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:36 pm

It’s about time I stop thinking about getting an Afterneath (Earthquakes Devices) pedal and just pull the trigger and go buy one.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:44 pm

SlowEmotionReplay wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:36 pm
It’s about time I stop thinking about getting an Afterneath (Earthquakes Devices) pedal and just pull the trigger and go buy one.
I think this is an awesome sounding pedal if you have a use for it.

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:35 pm

There is several Death By Audio pedals I have always wanted but never seem to quite be able to pull the trigger on lately!