GK Backline 600 bass head?

Make it loud here.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

GK Backline 600 bass head?

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:14 am

Anyone here messed with one?

Unfortunately I might be in the position of having to buy an emergency bass head, and also happen to be broke :(

Anything else on the market for under $200 used I should be looking at? I’m specifically looking for a head since I already have a cab to play through.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: GK Backline 600 bass head?

Post by somanytoys » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Sorry, this is probably way too late for your purpose.

I haven't tried their Backline heads before, I only have a Backline cab.

As for head alternatives, I bought an Acoustic B200H 200 watt head used that I like a lot, for about $150. I use it to push either the G/K BLX II Backline 4x10 cab, or a Hartke 2x10 and a Hartke 1x15. Acoustics seem to be a very straighforward amp, so it depends on what you're looking for. Lots of eq'ing capabilities , too.

If you're still in the market for a head and looking for a pretty honest signal from an amp, I can recommend that.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:51 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:18 pm
Sorry, this is probably way too late for your purpose.

I haven't tried their Backline heads before, I only have a Backline cab.

As for head alternatives, I bought an Acoustic B200H 200 watt head used that I like a lot, for about $150. I use it to push either the G/K BLX II Backline 4x10 cab, or a Hartke 2x10 and a Hartke 1x15. Acoustics seem to be a very straighforward amp, so it depends on what you're looking for. Lots of eq'ing capabilities , too.

If you're still in the market for a head and looking for a pretty honest signal from an amp, I can recommend that.
The GK 800RB I’ve been playing through didn’t require major surgery and is back working... sort of.

The thing is it’s a borrowed amp (other issues have be present for years).

Any other recommendations are appreciated.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:19 pm

yeah. ive messed with them. its a versatile wee amp.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:38 pm

If you're interested in the Acoustic at all, I just found one for sale on GC's website for $100. No idea what shipping might cost, but it's not that big or heavy, really. I think they also offer a warranty.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Acous ... YAQAvD_BwE

I don't have anything else that I can recommend for that price range, that I know is any good. The 800 RBs seem to start at $350, from what I've found in a quick search.
-David

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:24 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:38 pm
If you're interested in the Acoustic at all, I just found one for sale on GC's website for $100. No idea what shipping might cost, but it's not that big or heavy, really. I think they also offer a warranty.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Acous ... YAQAvD_BwE

I don't have anything else that I can recommend for that price range, that I know is any good. The 800 RBs seem to start at $350, from what I've found in a quick search.
Yeah, the older GKs seem to actually be going up in value.

Honestly I think I'm going to hold off on buying anything until my hand is forced. The stuff I'm playing through is on semi-permanent loan. If the head has major issues again I'll probably go to my friend who owns it and see if I can buy him out, then get it fixed properly.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 am

Wow, yeah - if that's an option down the road, that would be really cool. Especially if you could wait until you can better afford the repairs. I read a lot of good things about the amp's sound and capabilities, seems pretty cool.

I was just trying to help out a little because I thought it was a desperation kind of thing. The Acoustic is a pretty good amp head, I just couldn't pass it up for the price, and I like it. It's not as rich as my SWR, or as trashy as my TS50-B can be, but it's pretty flexible (eq) and gives a true sound. I would love to have a nice tube SVT or probably many other things instead, but it's working out really well on the cheap, and I have many pedals to dress up the sound any way I want, and I typically do.

Good luck, I hope that thing holds up for you for quite a while.
-David

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:13 am

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:26 am
Wow, yeah - if that's an option down the road, that would be really cool. Especially if you could wait until you can better afford the repairs. I read a lot of good things about the amp's sound and capabilities, seems pretty cool.

I was just trying to help out a little because I thought it was a desperation kind of thing. The Acoustic is a pretty good amp head, I just couldn't pass it up for the price, and I like it. It's not as rich as my SWR, or as trashy as my TS50-B can be, but it's pretty flexible (eq) and gives a true sound. I would love to have a nice tube SVT or probably many other things instead, but it's working out really well on the cheap, and I have many pedals to dress up the sound any way I want, and I typically do.

Good luck, I hope that thing holds up for you for quite a while.
Thanks. Yeah, it was looking grim for a minute there.

I’m the same way. The boost/compressor I use do most of the sound shaping. Almost any amp will do the job if it comes to it.