Which jaguar!

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jazzmag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Which jaguar!

Post by jazzmag » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 am

I've decided to get me one of them stretchy fenders but I'm a bit torn on which model to get. Think my price range is around a 90s Japanese or mex. Ideally I'd like one of those sexy gunmetal Japanese ones but they're like hen's teeth. Anyone got playing experience with any/all of these? I'd like HH or HS definitely want a bucker on the bridge and I like a nice woody transparent sound on the neck.

Already got a modern player from china and while it plays nice it's too basic and not what I'm after.

Thanks in advance.
Jazz

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Which jaguar!

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 am

Hey Jazz!
If the Modern player (no pickguard, Stop tail bridge and Strat-like output jack, if I'm right) is not to your liking... what else does your dream Jaguar need? The gunmetal blue Japanese one is also one with a Stop Tail Bridge - so is this your thing or not?
Or do you want a vibrato this time? (There are some Bigsby and Duesenberg Vibratos for these stop tail bridges that don't need any modification - you just exchange the tailpiece...or classic jag/jm one?)

Also for aesthetics - do you like it to be a double humbucker configuration? That would narrow it down - but you could still put a Single coil pickup in humbucker dimensions in it (I have SD P-Rails in mine, so 3 pickups in one). The only SH configuration that is not self modded off that I know comes in the new player series.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:55 am

Based on specs alone it sounds like you've almost exactly described the new(ish) player series Jag. Not played one, but they look cool.

Perhaps the best question is why do you want a Jag? Is it just the short scale and cool shape, or are there any other specific Jag features you want? (E.g. the vibrato / switching / pretty chrome bits that the Modern Player doesn't have?)

If you want as many of the traditional options as possible (other than a humbucker in the bridge), getting a Squier VM and putting in a hotrails or something is another option. Probably would work out cheaper than a lot of alternative options, and I can't overstate how much I love my VM.

As for the Japanese FSR... No idea where you are, but if you're anywhere near Southampton, UK, they've got (edit: oops. Had. Past tense. Not sure why they bother keeping the page up in that case) a sunburst one in stock: https://www.theguitarstoreonline.co.uk/ ... l?___SID=U

(No affiliation, but I've bought from them before and can recommend.)

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:50 am

Maybe consider a Squier VM Jaguar HH (dual humbuckers). I'm quite happy with mine! Should be really affordable, as a plus.

jazzmag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jazzmag » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:30 am

Thanks for the replies guys.
Not interested in extra vibrato so a stoptail is a must.
Don't mind swapping pups but I'd rather not have to rout so I think HH is a must too. I've got hot rails in my strat and they don't quite drive enough for me.
I do want the jaguar switching options (rhythm/lead circuits) short scale is a bonus for the style I play (hence jag not jazz) and they look fit!

Like this
https://reverb.com/uk/item/1404212-fend ... -red-burst

If I could find one of those in budget I'd need new kecks.

I've toyed with the idea of getting the squire and modding it but I'm a name whore and regardless of what I did to it I'd always know it wasn't a fender proper.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Based on your wishlist, I'm pretty sure the Japanese special is the only one that fits it. (Hard tail / Jag switching / HH / not a Squier).

What's your budget? And if the Japanese one is outside of that, what are you / aren't you willing to compromise on?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:58 pm

I add the Blacktop HH Jaguar to the list. No rhythm section and only one chrome plate but a hardtail bridge and a toggle switch. Sells for around 600 bucks depending where you are.
Have you also considered these hardtail conversion plates?
https://reverb.com/item/1536703-jazzmas ... reak-angle just one example...they are being offered by various makers and they all sell for around 30 bucks.

jazzmag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jazzmag » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 pm
Based on your wishlist, I'm pretty sure the Japanese special is the only one that fits it. (Hard tail / Jag switching / HH / not a Squier).

What's your budget? And if the Japanese one is outside of that, what are you / aren't you willing to compromise on?
Everything is confirming what I thought. I'm looking at a budget between five and six hundred. More if they'll take this modern player in trade as well.
Spotted one of the red burst ones on gumtree in scotland but the guy won't post... and is less than friendly. Might have to settle for a sunburst, there's a couple on ebay, some that have already been modded.

Thanks for the thinktank guys.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:47 pm

£500-£600 budget for a guitar that's available new for £1k is probably a bit ambitious. (Read: maybe look at getting something else? The blacktop sound like a good shout, and should be in your budget 2nd hand. Alternatively, the new player series is H-S, and nobody is forcing you to use the vibrato. You'll find lots of people who are huge fans of offset vibratos here, but fair warning - they can be an acquired taste if you're not used to them.)

I expect you've already seen this if you've been googling, but just in case: (Sunburst / London / £750 / free UK shipping)

https://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/fend ... gJqiPD_BwE

jazzmag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jazzmag » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:17 am

Stephen_42 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:47 pm
£500-£600 budget for a guitar that's available new for £1k is probably a bit ambitious. (Read: maybe look at getting something else? The blacktop sound like a good shout, and should be in your budget 2nd hand. Alternatively, the new player series is H-S, and nobody is forcing you to use the vibrato. You'll find lots of people who are huge fans of offset vibratos here, but fair warning - they can be an acquired taste if you're not used to them.)

I expect you've already seen this if you've been googling, but just in case: (Sunburst / London / £750 / free UK shipping)

https://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/fend ... gJqiPD_BwE
I'm definitely buying second hand, preferably a few years old (I prefer older wood). seen one of those from the early 2000's for around 550 on ebay and various classified sites. Nineties ones go for six to eight hundred. I can get an american one for a grand.

kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kalipigeon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:59 pm

I have a red burst one, and they are great guitars. It has been my go-to for recording distortion sounds. As with many of the Fender Japan guitars, great everywhere except the electronics.

The stock pickups are ok, but probably worth replacing. I had P-rails in mine for a bit, now some GFS pickups. Next, I plan to put a pair of Fidel'itron pickups from a reissue Coronado into it.

If you can find one, they are worth it.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:23 pm

kalipigeon wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:59 pm

The stock pickups are ok, but probably worth replacing. I had P-rails in mine for a bit, now some GFS pickups. Next, I plan to put a pair of Fidel'itron pickups from a reissue Coronado into it.
Pretty much the same what I did to my Japanese Thinline Jag. Away with the too heavily feedbacking Japanese Strat-alike-Single Coils, then P-Rails, then GFS Surf 90s (great pickups! Looking for a Sage Green Player Jazzmaster guitar/body to put them back in!) - and back to the P-Rails (together with some other mods). :-)

jazzmag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jazzmag » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:13 am

Any recommendations as to where to look? I'm trawling gumtree, preloved. Ebay, facebook and shpock at the moment.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:38 am

There are a couple of the gunmetal jags on Reverb and EBay right now, but the asking prices are out of your range. You could always make an offer and see where you get.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

jazzmag
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jazzmag » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:38 am
There are a couple of the gunmetal jags on Reverb and EBay right now, but the asking prices are out of your range. You could always make an offer and see where you get.
I've seen the ones from japan on ebay. Apparently they've been sold...
Can you post the link for the reverb ones? Can't see them.