has anyone here gone rack?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: has anyone here gone rack?

Post by somanytoys » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:44 pm

I know this thread is old, but I've been out a while.

Mr. Shake, it's nice to see that you did some really nice things with your SPX, like build an entire city around it! That's really nice, a beautiful standalone rackmount setup.

I've since bought another SPX (much better condition), and 2 LED upgrades for their displays, and the only thing I've done since is put them both in a really nice rack. I need to bring each of them to my repair place and get them to replace the LEDs, I tried a little and I'm just not that brave/stupid.

I've programmed 2 or 3 of the patches on one of them and and used it for a little while, but it is a pain in the ass to incorporate them into a board, so I haven't even started trying to really use them in any serious way. One day I will, but this is all good info for when I do start to integrate them, or build a whole new thing around them - however it has to happen.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

burntumber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burntumber » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:00 pm

I hook up my Quadraverb now and then,
some really great Leslie sounds, and I like the weirder settings like Beam me up, Taj Mahal, etc

usually I just end up flipping through all the presets and not really playing guitar, just messing around with the different presets.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:59 pm

I went rack, or tried to. In theory it was a good idea, and the MP-2 preamp I had was very good, as were all the effects and shit.

In practice, it was a bunch of hassle getting it all programmed to be everything I'd ever want, and it became "well, it'd be better if I just recorded with this stuff" which became me never actually using 80% of the sounds I had and finally just selling all my rack stuff off in favor of a nice basic 112 cab with a poweramp and a Tech21 Leeds basically as a floor pre. Then the effects started to go, and I'm down to a tuner, OD and zoom CDR pedal to go with the Leeds. Sometimes I toss in a muff.

Man, who was I trying to kid
This is an excellent rectangle

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 pm

no but my friend tried. he got one of those rackmount reverbs and one of those programmable amp modelers but it never stuck with him. he used to justify it by saying "it sounds way more consistent from night to night" but then he just traded it in.

i dont think i could ever go rack for a few reasons.
1. while i hate using this phrase, a good part of "my sound" comes from using 2 amps at once.
2. i like to play around with my pedals during a set.
3. im a bit of a Luddite when it comes to that kind of thing.

saying that, i think when it comes to the amps thing, the salvation mods would be a decent solution. but i think for the most part. i'll stick with what i know.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:22 am

I think mine will probably be a long term project, that won't move forward much until I have the time. Way more.

I wouldn't mind getting a quadraverb to go along with the SPX, and the qverbs don't seem to be getting any more expensive or more rare (yet, anyway). But when I finally try to get it off the ground, I think I might want to try what Offyourface said, and buy new, dedicated DI box and a re-amping pedal, in order to get the signal levels properly lined up, too. While I'm at it and all.

Then there's the programming, the midi programming/controlling possibility, and then figure out if I want to bother with the bypass thing, so that the tone isn't affected when the effects aren't being used. It's all really more of a time thing. Or like Megan said, I'll tell myself I'll use them as outboards for recording.

But I do envy Mr. Shake's setup, that's a thing of beauty.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Mr_Edward
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mr_Edward » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Hey so I am too !

After years of never ever stopping growing pedalboards I decided to take some time to buy some dirt cheap racks and to try the adventure; I'm actually in the process of waiting or assembling everything together and discovering a lot about "how to put things in the right order" and heat dissipation (make me thinks so much about assembling my first PC...).

I'm going for hybrid : Racks + Stompbox

The contenders will be (in no specific order) :

- Laney IRT Studio (clean channnel, perfect tool for recording)
- Microverb 4
- Yamaha SPSX 50D (version for guitar of the SPSX 90, yeah I'm quite the funny guy but half cheap !)
- TC Electronic G-Major
- In the front I'm keeping : TC Subn'Up, TC Forcefield, TS808, EHX Double Muff, EHX Big Muff. These two last could be replace by a ZVex Mastotron and a Orange Getaway driver.
- On the effect loop with the racks I will try to keep : TC Hall of Fame 2, EXH Small Clone, TC Flashback
- I could add a patch bay (well why not trying it ^^ ?)
- Everything will be plug to an Orange PPC112

And I will eventually reduce as much as possible the number of devices depending on what each racks will sounds.

Photo to come asap !

Mr_Edward
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mr_Edward » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Version 0.1 is up and running !

https://imgur.com/a/IXnTR5c

Next Step : New rack + assembly of the rack drawer for the modulation pedal

Later this year : Adding the Yamaha SPX50d and the TC G-Major.

Mr_Edward
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mr_Edward » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:59 pm

Phase 2
  • Much Better Rack
  • Added Modulation Pedals on a rack shelves
Next Phase
  • Mounting the TC G-Major
  • Mounting the Yamaha SPSX50D
  • Adding an expression pedal to the floor board
  • Adding the ZVex Mastotron on the floor board
I must admit I'm actually having a lot of fun with the Microverb 4 :-*

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 pm

pj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pj » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:58 am

Why not just go with a laptop then? More power than any rack and you can get email, also. :freako:

Mr_Edward
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mr_Edward » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:30 am

Yep, good remark but,
  • On the right of this picture stand my big ass computer loaded with as many VST's as possible...
  • I never tried to mount a rack before so let me have some fun !
  • There's a cool and interesting "haptic" feeling while rotating these knobs.
  • A bleeping/blinking wall of weird devices looking like a Russian space station has always been one of my secret fantasy...

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 am

A bleeping/blinking wall of weird devices looking like a Russian space station has always been one of my secret fantasy...
You need to step up your game then! Nothing less than a tc electronic 2290 and an Eventide H-3000 will do! Maybe throw in an AMS or Lexicon PCM-42 for delay and one of the Roland double space rack phasers or flangers.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:48 am

countertext wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:38 pm
These glasses are freaking awesome!

Mr_Edward
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mr_Edward » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:07 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 am
You need to step up your game then! Nothing less than a tc electronic 2290 and an Eventide H-3000 will do! Maybe throw in an AMS or Lexicon PCM-42 for delay and one of the Roland double space rack phasers or flangers.
Well I got my eyes on a Lexicon MPX-1 at the moment :freako: but yeah those units are very cheap now (apart for the TC 2290...) so why not try the most of them ?

Mr_Edward
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Mr_Edward » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:33 am

Look at all these vintage beauties :blush: