Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:22 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: This is the chain I'm building at the moment, I'm waiting for the Wob clone to arrive from Germany and will take a few pics once it's here..

Boss TU-2
Proco "vintage" Rat
Sovtek Big Muff - Green
Boss PN-2 trem/pan
Wob clone
Boss RPS-10 PS/Delay
Boss RRV-10 Reverb

I'm waiting on a bypass box for the Boss half racks and the parts to build an AMZ Mosfet boost which will look a bit like the DBA Intersteller Overdriver. I might also rehouse the Big Muff soon, as much as I hate the idea the jacks seem to be more and more iffy every day.. if I do it's not going in some little MXR box with some fancy glitter paint job. It's going in a big ugly green box like it's meant to be, just not one cast from old soviet tank metal.

I'll also be adding these pedals over the next little while.. Colorsound Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Moogerfooger Ring Mod, Zvex Fuzz Factory or DBA Supersonic Fuzz Gun, and I'd love to find a Vox repeat percussion.
That's going to be a super cool setup!

You could always wire in a couple of open style metal jacks for the Muff. It's be a lot cheaper than rehousing entirely too.

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:34 pm

thanks Justin.. not even close to yours but yeah I think it'll be pretty alright. I don't think regular jacks would fit, I think the holes are too big on the pedal. mrsage from hcef has a great site on the subject, he did a fantastic job rehabbing my old IC Muff which I still kick myself for selling >:(

http://www.voxblues.com/guitar/muff/page1.html
Last edited by daydreamdelay on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:38 pm

From the few times I've had my green ones apart (for repairs  ::) ), it looks like the jack size is just your normal standard one. The stock ones are mounted on the pc board though, which would take some work to convert over to normal jacks, but it can be done. If the holes were too big for some reason though, you could use washers to mount the new jacks in the holes. Just a thought  :)

justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:44 pm

hmm I'll definitely take a look tomorrow and see for sure.. it'd be great if I could make it work in it's current box!

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:50 am

wow, it seems like everyone´s using pedalboards. i´ve never found those practical on stage. i like to have all my pedals in a row in front of me, but then again , i don´t have that many pedals. my current setup is:

boss chromatic tuner
ehx big muff
proco turbo rat
mxr micro amp
zvex vexter fuzz factory  (in the effects loop)

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:15 am

Cool, four different flavours of dirt and that's it .. is the FF in an amp effects loop? .. does that cause any problems? I thought fuzzes liked to be connected directly to the pickups.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:12 am

I used to have pretty long chains of effects on a pedaltrain board, but for more than a year now, all I've been using is a Zvex Super Duper

into a Maxon AD900

and that's about it....I get multiple levels of drive/boost from the duper...and chocolate flake repeats from the maxon.

I do have a new addition comming in any minute now...a Boss TU2 tuner :D
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:22 am

mezcalhead wrote: Cool, four different flavours of dirt and that's it .. is the FF in an amp effects loop? .. does that cause any problems? I thought fuzzes liked to be connected directly to the pickups.
it haven´t caused any problems so far, the only difference is that the character of the FF becomes a little more apparent. but it seems like the effects loop of my amp works a little bit different than others, so i don´t know if it is a good idea on any other amp.
the best part of having it it the effects loop is that it fuzzes up the spring reverb. with the gate and comp set pretty high on the FF, you get some really weird sounds as the reverb decays.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:56 am

mynameisjonas wrote: wow, it seems like everyone´s using pedalboards. i´ve never found those practical on stage. i like to have all my pedals in a row in front of me, but then again , i don´t have that many pedals. my current setup is:

boss chromatic tuner
ehx big muff
proco turbo rat
mxr micro amp
zvex vexter fuzz factory  (in the effects loop)

I go back and forth with this myself.. sometimes I use my board and other times I love having my pedals lined up around me and not having to tap dance over pedals. Boards are great for keeping everything together and hooked up though, I hated carrying around a case with loose pedals banging around though the case is a lot lighter without that heavy chunk of wood... I doubt I'll ever decide on this one  :'(

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:08 pm

Hey Neale, how do you like that Interstellar Overdriver?
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:04 am

there's some great pedalboards there.

I used to use a lot of effects, but right now I just have my jazz into a Boss DD-3 delay (this sits on top of my amp, I use it for that self-oscillating crazy-feedback thing) and then straight into my Blues Deluxe. It works for me.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

TheMilford
Expat
Expat

Post by TheMilford » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:28 pm

I can get you the proper replacement jacks for that Russian Big muff. PM me...

I used to work at EH and my best friend is still their head engineer...

BTW - he just bought a AVRI JM (Ice Blue metalic)
http://seasonfinale.bandcamp.com/
http://www.tronographic.com/

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:41 pm

thanks.. are they any better than what's currently in there?  I've never had the problems with switchcraft jacks that I'm getting with these, they're terrible and impossible to clean  :(

congrats to your friend, I love IBM Jazzmasters!

btw.. great songs, I just add requested :)

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:00 pm

Partial pedal inventory...

My secret weapon..

Setup

I also have a Boss DD-5 that's being modded with a hi-cut switch and an effects loop so I can insert other effects on the delay repeats! I totally want to check out the Zvex Super Duper. I've played with the Super Hard On and I understand the Super Duper is similar but on steroids. Hey Zhivago, what else can you tell me about the Super Duper?
Pedal Pusher

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:36 pm

tremolite wrote: Hey Zhivago, what else can you tell me about the Super Duper?

who cares when his delay's repeats sound like chocolate flakes?!  ;D

I'd love to check out an SD2in1 myself but I always tend to lean toward amps that have more juice than what probably work best with it.

so what do you think of the Deluxe Muff?