Talk me out of buying a Klone, please!

Everyone needs a stompbox.
nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Talk me out of buying a Klone, please!

Post by nanamour » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:24 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:32 pm
As long as nobody is claiming to be able to hear differences in battery brands.
OMG!! :D :D :D :D :D

That reminded me of a thread on an audiophile board where guys were arguing over what type of Generator Dyno made for the best fidelity! If you lived in a town where the local utility used the "wrong" type of generator coils, the electricity in your town made it impossible to have a "truly high-fidelity experience!"

IIRC, one guy claimed that if it wasn't electricity from Hydro Quebec, generated using Westinghouse equipment, you may as well just have AM radio. :fp:
HA. I ventured onto one of those boards once to ask about replacement tonearms for my Thorens TD-150 and did a prompt about face when I stumbled onto a thread discussing the sonic benefits of taping crystals onto yr interconnects :w00t:

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:37 pm

popvulture wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:32 pm
I agree with the vast majority of what's been said on here, and I'm also happy to hear that people aren't falling for JHS Josh's crap, whether in terms of pedal making ethics, politics, or otherwise. That guy sucks.

Take away all of the mythology it's just an overdrive pedal. Is it good? Yes. Great? Maybe. Are there others that are as good or better? Absolutely. The Klon's the same.
Yeah, he's honestly someone who deserves to be driven out of business, I think. Liar, bigot, bullshit artist and since he refuses to acknowledge provenance at times, a thief IMO.

At any rate, I love your closing statement there. I can't and therefore won't speak to the klon, but I'm a big believer personally in the value of a kind of sound rather than a specific sound. A few years back I pared all my stuff down and wanted the Hiwatt sound, or rather the kind of smooth, easy attack and full bodied clean sound that Hiwatts give. And with a Hiwatt sim pedal as a pre into a solid state power amp and a fane-ish speaker in a 112 cab, I got exactly that... not a Hiwatt clone by any means. But I get the sound I wanted, in spades. That's the important thing, and doing that made me totally rethink my relationship with gear.
This is an excellent rectangle

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 am

^
+1 and +1

nanamour wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 pm
HA. I ventured onto one of those boards once to ask about replacement tonearms for my Thorens TD-150 and did a prompt about face when I stumbled onto a thread discussing the sonic benefits of taping crystals onto yr interconnects :w00t:

Ahahahahahaha
What BRAND of tape, though?

popvulture
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by popvulture » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:09 am

The toan is in the tape!

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:21 am

rumfoord wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 am
I totally thought the same thing. :w00t: Thousands of dollars on the musical equipment and then basic Scotch tape? Surely there is some tape made from yak fur or something that can get better sound.

popvulture
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by popvulture » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:13 am

I mean, it's definitely NOS tape.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:20 am

nanamour wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Was there not some amp building dobber, much beloved by the sort of plums who wear flame maple tone clogs (tm) who banged on about his 'Crystal lattice' or (Louis Roederer) Cristal Lettuce?

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:37 pm
popvulture wrote:
I agree with the vast majority of what's been said on here, and I'm also happy to hear that people aren't falling for JHS Josh's crap, whether in terms of pedal making ethics, politics, or otherwise. That guy sucks.

Take away all of the mythology it's just an overdrive pedal. Is it good? Yes. Great? Maybe. Are there others that are as good or better? Absolutely. The Klon's the same.
Yeah, he's honestly someone who deserves to be driven out of business, I think. Liar, bigot, bullshit artist and since he refuses to acknowledge provenance at times, a thief IMO.
Man, I apparently walked into a hornet's nest with that vid. I've only bought a modded Soul Food from JHS and followed his vlog, which seems to be fairly legit. He's always giving props to other builders, etc...

I had no idea that he was such a lightning rod. :( :-[
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:21 am
rumfoord wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 am
I totally thought the same thing. :w00t: Thousands of dollars on the musical equipment and then basic Scotch tape? Surely there is some tape made from yak fur or something that can get better sound.
If it's not 3M tape, from the East St. Paul, MN plant, you may as well be using a Zune.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:01 am

I use a zune. :ph34r:

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:37 pm
popvulture wrote:

Man, I apparently walked into a hornet's nest with that vid. I've only bought a modded Soul Food from JHS and followed his vlog, which seems to be fairly legit. He's always giving props to other builders, etc...

I had no idea that he was such a lightning rod. :( :-[
He has been associated with one pretty awful group that could be described as an anti-LGBTQ hate group masquerading as a "Christian" organization.

He's backpedaled from that association (especially when word got out and a boycott started materializing), so we can either take him at his word that he's disavowed that affiliation, or not.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty nasty group. People of course dug pretty deep on it and though he's made a statement distancing himself, his employee pool is apparently disproportionately full of people from that same megachurch. Take that secondhand internet sleuthing for whatever it's worth to you, he had been caught fibbing about attribution prior to that so I'm inclined not to take him at his word. He also apparently built and sold some pedals using madbean boards. I can see that being a reasonable stopgap measure, but it's poor form in any case. Not anywhere near as bad as gooping a Joyo pedal like that Freekish alpha blues pedal debacle a few years back, though.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:21 pm

I have owned four different Klones. I still have three of them.

My experience over the years on Internet forums for various instruments (drums, synthesizers, guitars, amps, etc) is that there tends to be a few sort of nearly universally accepted “truths” commonly agreed upon by many long-time forum members. After several years of reading about how great Klon klones are I was curious about picking one up. I bought a Fredric zombie in the OSG classified 6 or so years ago and immediately understood what the hype was about. In this case I consider the Klon(e) hype to be one of those near universal forum truths. I did not like the Zombie’s form factor and replaced it with an ARC Klone v2 and have gigged it ever since. I keep a Han Taun in my gear bag for emergencies (I’ve played in bands with Idiotbox Matt for many years and had to buy one even if I didn’t really need it) and recently took on a Tumnus for my mini board. All three pedals sound really close to one another.

While I love the klone circuit, I have to admit that I have been able to also find “my sound” in a Timmy (another one of those well hyped forum truths) and a Zendrive. I guess I just like non-TS style overdrives.

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:17 pm

I was thinking about how Boss never tried to cash in on 'transparent' overdrives or a klon in any way...is that right?

Mostly jokingly, I was expecting to only come here to suggest a metal zone knockoff with a very flexible eq, a lower gain range, and settings in the manual to get you into Timmy territory, Klon territory, etc. If this were a boss pedal, it should obviously be called the TT-2 Tone Zone. How did we not already get that to the WAZA Craft level?

But in doing my due diligence reviewing the Boss offerings of drive pedals, I found the JHS/Boss collaboration that I hadn't been aware of:

The Angry Charlie was one of the JHS pedals that'd allegedly been dubiously cloned. Anyway, probably old news, but it was news to me. :fp:

ANYWAY, despite the non-existence of a Tone Zone pedal, I'm mildly satisfied there is this software (library service[?]) called Tone Central:
http://bosstonecentral.com/

edit: ohhhh, ok, "Tone Zone" is already the name of a humbucker by DiMarzio, as well as a pedal company that makes a pedal called Woman Tone. sigh.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:02 am

rumfoord wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:17 pm

But in doing my due diligence reviewing the Boss offerings of drive pedals, I found the JHS/Boss collaboration that I hadn't been aware of:
Wow, I had no idea about all that other other stuff. But, to be fair, he's in KCMO and that town is littered with Megachurches and those who go to them, so it kind of doesn't surprise me.

Watching his vlog, it seems like he's more one of us than one of them. He's totally into the music we like and he's a huge offset fanboy. So, I gotta say, this really surprised me! :wtf:

That JB-2 pedal is a blast, BTW. I spent an hour at my local store messing around with it.