It's my first day

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Jsil13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

It's my first day

Post by Jsil13 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:59 am

Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for over 20 years and have probably had nearly 100 guitars in that time. For the past 3 years I've been playing professionally and started putting together partscasters and eventually started building my own bodies and necks. While inebriated on the road last weekend I ordered a new MIJ pink paisley loaded Jazzmaster body for a new project. I already have a ton of plans for it. First it needs a neck. I was thinking about building one, but decided I'm going to with Warmoth again. Since the finish on the guitar is so over the top I want to keep the neck pretty plain. I like roasted maple since it doesn't need a finish and I can sand it to 2000 grit and get it nice and smooth. Plus it smells like maple syrup. The fretboard will most likely end up being rosewood or ebony.

My main guitar is a Duesenberg Caribou that has a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. It's backup is a Telebird that I put together with a humbucker in the bridge and a Goldfoil in the neck. I really like that pickup combo, so I'm planning on doing the same thing with the jazzmaster. I'm leaning towards Curtis Novak's wide range hum in the bridge and Goldfoil in the neck. The only thing I"m undecided on about them is whether I should do cream colored covers or black? I might ask Curtis if I can get both colored covers.

As for the bridge and trem I eventually want to get the Mastery setup. I'm not a super heavy user or tremolos, but I do use it occasionally. The Duesenberg trem setup is great. That thing rarely goes out of tune, but I know this trem is a different beast. Before I try the Mastery I think I'll give the Warmoth modified Mustang bridge a shot.

I've been a member over at TDPRI for quite awhile, but this is my first post here. Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll start throwing them up there. The body arrives today, but it's 20 something degrees out so I may wait to open it unless I want the finish to check. Wait, do I want the finish to check?

Cheers, JS

Jsil13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: It's my first day

Post by Jsil13 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 am

My Caribou

My Coral pink Telebird aka Space Cowboy 1

Space Cowboy II

This is the number one choice for the neck

and here is the body. It still has the protective film on the pick guard. It looks like this guy is doing the same thing Stratosphere does.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:52 am

Jsil13 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 am
My Caribou

Space Cowboy II

and here is the body. It still has the protective film on the pick guard. It looks like this guy is doing the same thing Stratosphere does.
I fixed up the image tags. Great looking telebirds you've got there!
Doug
@dpcannafax

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 am

Is that a Rolling Bender on there? I am often on the TDPRI also, and have been intrigued by those for some time. What do you think of it?

Welcome to the site!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Jsil13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jsil13 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 am

It is indeed a Rolling bender. It's my second one and I like them. I prefer the Hipshot on my Tele, but for guitars that I can't install those on I like these. It takes a bit of getting used to the motion to activate it, but once you get it down it becomes second nature. Unlike the Hipshot once you set how far the lever moves it doesn't need to be adjusted, so it's a perfect whole step bend every time. If you're using an ashtray bridge I'd suggest chopping the treble side since you need to pick lower to activate the bender.

Jsil13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jsil13 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:52 am
Jsil13 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 am
My Caribou

Space Cowboy II

I fixed up the image tags. Great looking telebirds you've got there!
Hey, thanks man. Still figuring this forum out. I appreciate it.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:20 am

Jsil13 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 am
It is indeed a Rolling bender. It's my second one and I like them. I prefer the Hipshot on my Tele, but for guitars that I can't install those on I like these. It takes a bit of getting used to the motion to activate it, but once you get it down it becomes second nature. Unlike the Hipshot once you set how far the lever moves it doesn't need to be adjusted, so it's a perfect whole step bend every time. If you're using an ashtray bridge I'd suggest chopping the treble side since you need to pick lower to activate the bender.
Good to know... I have Hipshot stuff on my two Telecasters, so I'm covered there. But I only like it OK, like you mention, it's kind of a hassle.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.