PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Chorus - Vibrato - Leslie Pedal

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:38 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:11 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 pm
I have a Mayer Voodoo Vibe, it has all mod cons, and does everything the OP asked for, but I don't recommend it much anymore because of the the cost.
The sound is pretty amazing though!

Actually, I took my dejavibe to rehearsal last night (inspired a little bit by this thread) and it sounds much better at real volume, when the amp is compressing a bit. So many of those old school effects circuits just come alive through a valve amp wound up.
The dejavibe has some internal trim pots, so you can mess with the sounds a lot. It took a week or so to dial in full throb and get the speed set up. HOWEVER....I do like the digitech vibe pedal.
Last edited by budda12ax7 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:39 am

If you are looking for "on the cheap" try the Kokko vibe pedal on Aliexpress.....I bought one and for 20 US$ it sounds good.

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:45 pm

I got hooked on the arion chorus thing. cheap plastic pedal has no business sounding this good. it doesn't do "vibe" but if you set it fast speed it tends to sound like a recording of a leslie.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:24 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:41 pm
Not the cheapest option, but I've been fighting GAS for a Dry Bell V2 Vibe Machine for years. I have a standalone phaser that I love, but that thing sounds incredible.
Don't fight the gas when it comes to the Vibe Machine! I yielded a few months ago, and have never regretted it - it's one of those pedals that totally lives up to the hype. Expensive, but undeniably awesome.

Cheers
J

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:47 am

budda12ax7 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:38 am
The dejavibe has some internal trim pots, so you can mess with the sounds a lot. It took a week or so to dial in full throb and get the speed set up. HOWREVER....I do like the digitech vibe pedal.
Mine just has one trimpot for bulb intensity and, after messing with it a little bit, I find it sounds best around the marked stock setting anyway

the_devils_tool
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the_devils_tool » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:46 am

I've got a DOD Vibrothang that does a pretty good emulation. DOD obviously isn't boutique or anything but it does pretty well, and I'm actually pretty surprised at the quality of it.

https://dod.com/en/products/fx22
Twang, Reverb, and Echo - it's where it's AT!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 am

JVG wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:24 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:41 pm
Not the cheapest option, but I've been fighting GAS for a Dry Bell V2 Vibe Machine for years. I have a standalone phaser that I love, but that thing sounds incredible.
Don't fight the gas when it comes to the Vibe Machine! I yielded a few months ago, and have never regretted it - it's one of those pedals that totally lives up to the hype. Expensive, but undeniably awesome.

Cheers
J
It definitely sounds awesome. The price doesn't even bother me, but where I'm at is that aside from a few Pink Floyd songs, I don't know if I'd use it. For my warble-y stuff my phaser does most of what I "need".
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

sdgails
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sdgails » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:42 am

I use a Digitech EX-7 pedal with Leslie setting. Don't laugh, I originally bought it for the space station setting, and found the Leslie setting nice ...it's better than any Leslie i've found ,with the pedal allowing me to tweak whatever sound i need from it.

d-rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by d-rock » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Not really chorus, vibrato or Leslie ;D ... but something that is cool is the MXR Phase 95

You can get that slow script Phase 90 sound and a fast faux Leslie Phase 45 sound.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Strymon Lex is really very good, especially if you run it through 2 amps. It has an expression pedal input that works very nicely. I've not gigged with it, but it clearly would manage about anything that someone might throw at it.

Alternately you might look up the Rotary Wave. This is a cab (no amp) with a 10 inch speaker and a motor that spins a Styrofoam drum. Sounds really nice. It comes as a kit so you'd have to assemble it or have someone do it for you. I would be a little afraid to gig with it, (the motor assembly seems a little fragile) but it probably would be OK if one was careful transporting it.

http://www.mahaffayamps.com/rotary-wave.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnvTwAoV-ww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxpUsgFZD5g

This video has a nice demo of the Lex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4-jqXGbxo

Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rasalrew » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks everyone for their suggestions!

Went to a shop the other day and tried out some interesting pedals, but none of them really grabbed me. Tried Walrus Audio Julia, Earthquaker The Depths & Orbiter, Fairfield KFM 378, Mid Fi Pitch Pirate. The Julia was the most impressive out of all of them. Simple, easy to dial in and relatively transparent, and Lush, just still looking for something a little extra.

I've found some other pedals and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Jam Pedal Ripply Fall and Minifooger Chorus or JHS Emperor. What I like about the Ripply is that you can engage 2 effects simultaneously. I guess the alternative would be buying 2 stompboxes, but having them in one enclosure is nice, and they sound reallllly nice together. And the Minifooger Chorus seems versatile in other ways, and I like the company in general, its discontinued but i've seen some flying around on sites.
https://foreignspeakers.bandcamp.com/

Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rasalrew » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:34 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 pm
MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 am
budda12ax7 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 am
I wish my mini deja-vibe had an expression input. And the useful speed range is from about 2 o'clock to 4/5 o'clock so it's a bit tricky to change on the fly. Sounds spot-on though, although I had a quick go on a Roger Mayer vibe. That had a great sound and a lot of useful extra controls to really dial it in but I think they're like £500 new or something :wacko:
I have a Mayer Voodoo Vibe, it has all mod cons, and does everything the OP asked for, but I don't recommend it much anymore because of the the cost.
So I found a builder who replicates voodoo vibes pretty impeccably & smaller and at amazing prices. My question for you because I'm seeming to have trouble finding demos on this box is:
  • What exactly is the difference between the Vibrato and Chorus sections, I know what the difference in effect are? but switching sounds similar in demos, hard to pinpoint.
    • If I wanted to dial in a classic chorus sound is that available to me?
    • If I wanted to get a slow pitch shifting with the Vibrato is that available as well?
    • Also what are Mod Cons?
    I know there are shape symmetry and a few other knobs that all work with one another. Its a tweak box for sure.
    Lots of demos show the wooshing hendrix vibe that we all know and love, but I'm looking for the subtleties that can really set a nice flavor in a recording.

Thanks!

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:12 am

1- not really. it can do fast-chorus sort of sounds but it doesn't do 80s chorus. kind of a matter of perspective as to whether a vibe can do the same job as a chorus pedal for you

2 - yes

3 - shorthand for "modern conveniences", usually meaning stuff like true bypass and 9v DC barrel jack power

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:34 am

•If I wanted to dial in a classic chorus sound is that available to me?
-to a degree. The chorus section of the Voodoo Vibe is actually a Uni-Vibe (which was also labeled “chorus”) and is actually a 2 stage phase shifter. The bias control dials in the amount of phase to get the Hendrix Uni-Vibe sounds. From there it can do more subtle phase tones or more lush chorus type tones, varied by speed and depth. The symmetry controls the shape of the wave form. Also the wave can be sine or saw which can make the effect more subtle or extreme. Same is true for Tremolo.

•If I wanted to get a slow pitch shifting with the Vibrato is that available as well?
-yes, to a degree- the speed rate can go very slow, but the pitch shift depth isn’t extreme, you get a seasick watery wobble and not whammy divebombs.

•Also what are Mod Cons?
-British slang for Modern Conveniences. All those extra tweaks, wave forms, foot control, output buffer, volume boost, etc. that weren’t on original Uni-Vibes, Magnatone Vibrato, Phase 90 type units.

* pretty much what Bill said above ^^^

Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rasalrew » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:34 am

wow fast replies - thanks guys! I will take all this into consideration with my decision!