Make it loud here.
oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Kevin Shields backline photo - mystery (acoustic ?) amp -

Post by oid » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Talpa wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:25 pm
o/p here - new to this board, tough crowd.
It is not as tough as it seems, there are some groups that tend to gang up to agree with each other at times, they are largely good and useful folk that contribute to the forum In largely productive ways. Likely most everyone is part of such a group, it is just hard to see when everyone is agreeing with you. This place has its own way and can be difficult at times, but it seems a to work and has avoided many of the pitfalls of internet BBS's.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

Riff Magnum
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Riff Magnum » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:05 pm

MechaBulletBill wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:45 pm
That sounds like the soundman expecting guitarists to control their dynamics (which they - and everyone on stage - should be doing). Or a soundman who's deafened himself on guitars.
andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:32 pm
Riff Magnum wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm
When did that happen?
At least 15 years ago.
I dunno if it's down to "mixing from the back" (ie. NOT where the audiences' ears are) or if it's a method being taught to training engineers but it seems like a lot of them think good mixing is just overbearing kick/bass right to the back of the room. The flipside is, you can't hear much else wherever you're standing.

Bass is definitely a sticky wicket, unless your space is really well designed and treated. Tons of bass over here, no bass over there. Weeee!!
I just assumed the whole "Big kick/bass" sound is the result of hip-hops influence and popularity.

Chip Korea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chip Korea » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:48 pm

In reply to a few posts...

I discovered MBV with You Made Me Realise in 1989/90 when I was 15. I saw them back in the day, but I was too young to see them in the tiny venues they played when I was 13/14.

Loveless is over-rated. Isn't anything and the noisier stuff around that time is great. The early goth and twee stuff is also worth checking out.

They are and especially were an awesome band. But, as someone said, this kind of music is better with a less ambitious set-up and smaller venue.

Meme Library
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Meme Library » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Christ that's gotta be so loud :blush:

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:32 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 am
One thing that struck me when attending the early reboot gig was the amount of fucks as old as myself in attendance, I couldn't help wondering where they were when only a 100 folk were showing up and paying a farthing for it too. I can only assume they needed 20 odd years of media and peer validation and retrospection because at the time they very nearly had the press coverage the Smiths got a year or two earlier when it seemed whole music magazines covered very little but.
This almost reminds me of the saying, “you aren’t stuck in traffic, you are traffic”. All those other old fucks, me included, could have been thinking exactly the same thing about you ;D

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:21 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm
StevenO wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:30 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:41 am
Unrelated but that is an upsetting amount of amplifiers on stage. Like, I know that being super loud is the deal but like... sheesh.
Yeah... I haven't seen them live but that looks like it would sound like shit too.
I had the chance a few years back and passed on it, because a zillion amps cranked up all the way in a venue with notoriously bad sound (Showbox SoDo in Seattle, formerly the fenix underground) isn't anything worth spending money on.

I'd love to see them, but it'll have to be in a place that sounds good. Otherwise I may as well just set my money and my hearing on fire.
Good call. That venue is great at making bands sound their absolute worst. (And that particular show was no exception - maybe only notable for me swearing for the nth time to never see anything there again).

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:35 am

I think I read an article that they travel with their own PA and sound guy, or maybe crew of sound guys. Supposedly partially inspired by the Grateful Dead’s ~1974 “Wall Of Sound” PA. Anybody remember where the link to that article is?
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

fibreman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fibreman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:29 am

MBV sounded great to me live (Manchester Apollo 3-4 years ago). An awesome wash of sound, I mean, the goal here isn't string definition, right?

I was 10 when Loveless came out, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Yeah, they sounded incredible at a notoriously bad sounding venue (the now defunct, and unfortunately named) Kool Haus in Toronto.

Saw them there in 2008 and again a few years later. The volume was a lot lower the second time around. Still really loud, but not insane levels.